Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Beethoven op.31, 2 The Tempest, Video + mp3!

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by musicusblau, Feb 2, 2008.

1. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    First of all - I will replace this mp3 on the site when I am done typing this. But just to tell you - good that you corrected that three-times cross over part. But I also noticed that you did not hold the pedal this time on the Largo parts between bars 142 and 157. Why not? I thought you championed this idea on your first recording.

Second - the video. I did watch it, and yes it took a while to open, since it is a large file. Still, it's nice to see you! You definitely look like you know this piece well.

I don't know much about doing these, either, but my video had a file ending as .wmv, whatever that means. I find that things usually go better in transferring files from the camera to the computer if I don't think about it so hard. Just let the machines do their thing. (sorry, I know that probably doesn't help you). I also noticed the video was not completely in sync.

one more thing - I haven't actually put any videos up on the site yet, so Robert will have to do this if it is under the whatever-you-call-it size.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I don't know why I said I'd replace this, because it was never put up to begin with. Weird - anyway, the mp3 is now up. :)

4. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Dear Pianolady,
    thank you. I have no possibility for *.wmv, but for *.avi, I experimented with the file-formats, but all files became larger than 50 MB, so I´m sorry, I can´t change it myself. If someone can reduce the size, from my side this will be alright. May be, someone could tell me a better converter-software for video-files than Nero 8.

I changed my interpretation of the Rezitativ, because I have listened to a very nice record of Wilhelm Kempff of this movement and I liked it so much, that he didn´t do it. He played the recitativ so clearly and expressively, that I fall in love with this idea. But I do not play it exactly similar to him, but in the same way of clearness now. O.k. you are right, I changed my opinion, but sometimes I fall in love with one idea and later I try another interpretation. Sometimes it changes.

I´m practising now also the 2nd and 3rd movement again.

By the way. In my Henle-Edition the tempo is Largo-Allegro, not Largo-Allegretto. (I think you changed my file-name.)

Thank you very much for posing it on the site :D

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I looked once more at the video and couldn´t find, that it was out of sync sometimes, like you said. So, I don´t know what happend?!?!

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You are right. I was copying the name on the other recordings. I have changed all of them to Largo-Allegro. Thanks.

On my computer the sound is slightly ahead of the picture. I don't know - maybe because I am so far away from you and the file gets stretched out or something by the time it gets over to me? Who knows.... Don't worry about, because it's probably just me and my crazy computer.

7. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks John for your nice help. I´m really happy about it :D . I will try the software you recommended, hope it´s freeware....

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>I have re-recorded the 1st movement of Beethoven op. 31, 2, Sonate "The Tempest"

I like your version. Another example of how amateurs can play well and very well.
    Only a passage not immaculate, but it's not a problem (IMHO).
    Congratulations.
    Here I've not DSL, and I'll see the video in the week-end.
    All best,
    Sandro

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you, Sandro! Somehow I become really a fan of you :D

11. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I have watched and heard the video version and it was really impressing. You have a really good understanding for the music and plan your performance very well. Your technique is very good as well as your touch and feel. Thanks for sharing!

I have helped Monica and the video is now up on the site.

12. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you very much, Robert. Your words are a real motivation for me and thank you for the help to put it on the site! :D

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>I like your version. Another example of how amateurs can play well and very well.

And now I've seen the video I like it more.
    Strenght: Your playing, IMHO of very good taste and expressive, rich in both playful research and
    seriousness. Your technique, again balanced between too much "muscular" and too much "flat".
    The body language, perfectly coherent with your playing. The fact you play without score permits
    more freedom in both gesture and sound. Great also your Grotrian-Steinweg (big big brand).
    Weakness: minor things. The video compression in mpeg-4 (that has the advantage to be easily
    read also from MAC users) "squeeze" a bit the dynamics.
    This compression and/or other recording instruments make the F a little too much near to the p.
    But 1) this is only a my modest opinion (and I'm a fanatic, obsessed by the richness of dynamics)
    2) if this is the compromise (mpeg-4) to make these video shared, it's a very good compromise.
    Again the most sincere congratulations,
    Sandro

14. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Sandro wrote:
    Yes, you are quite right with this statement. And it was only the microfone of my analog video-camera, I recorded the 1st movement with. May be this is a further reason for the minor dynamic spectrum in this record. (Perhaps next time, when I will make a video, I will record the music with my extern mics on the computer, and put the audio-file under the video, but I don´t know, if this works, I never tried it before. What do you think of this?)

Thank you for your comment, which means really a motivation for me. :D
    Yes, piano-playing has always something to do with balance (IMO).

I looked at your three new videos on youtube (Tschaikowsky, Mozart, Mendelssohn [I played the 48 songs without words completely in my years of music-highschool-study, but I unfortunately have no record of them]) and I was really impressed. You play with so much expression, sensation and differenciation in nuances. Your technique seems to be relaxed (no cramps) and you seem to express in a natural way, what comes from inside, so you are full of rich ideas of interpretation and performance.
    I listened also to your records of Beethoven op. 31, 2 (complete recording) on this site, which is also full of fantasy in interpretation and creative ideas (and with some freedom).
    In my opinion you are a great musician!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> I will record the music with my extern mics on the computer, and put the audio-file under the video, but I don´t know, if this works, I never tried it before. What do you think of this?

I am not an expert, but it's my technique of recording.
    Good results also for johnmar (only camcorder audio).
    My camcorder has a cheap mic, other have better ones but I do not think at the level of
    two good external mics.
    Try, but attention: dynamics mics are not the first choice (this is not only my opinion) for
    the recording of piano......

>Thank you for your comment, which means really a motivation for me. :D

But it's the same for me about your comments.
    All we here play for ourselves and for the pleasure to play and the value we assign to music.
    But to meet someone that appreciate something of what we do is a good thing;
    as you tell, a concrete help to motivation.

All best,
    Sandro

16. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Yes, you are right and I heard it from several sides (I think, you still told me, too), but for me this has to wait a bit for several reasons, I´m sorry.
    Thank you for your advices.

17. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Dear musicusblau!

Very nice recording! And everything by memory!

Some remarks:
    - I do not cross my hands at 0:55 - 1:20; perhaps an alternative to your fingering.
    - at 1:43 I play the b-flat (one bar later the c) with 3 quarter beats, you play only a half note. Same at 8:00.
    - I like your tempo and expression in the largo parts very much!
    - is your e2 a little bit detuned?
    - at 7:10 you play d2-flat, d1-flat, c1, c1; my edition (Peters) says d2-flat, d1-flat, d1-flat, c1

Many greetings,

Harald

18. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Dear Harald,
    thank you for your detailed feedback, I would like to reply to some points:

I do not cross my hands, too, in the video you can see it, except in the three bars 38-41, nearly at 1:18 - 1:20, I think in these three bars there is no other possibility than to cross the hands.

Yes, I think, it´s the moment of increase, which let me play it a bit shorter than it is in the notes.

In the Henle-Urtext-Ausgabe, which I use, there is the c1 instead of d flat1, but it´s with a remark: the c1 comes from an old edition of the "Wiener Musikfreunde" (possessed by Erzherzog Rudolph).