Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Beethoven - Concerto No. 2 in B flat major, Op. 19

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by nathanscoleman, Sep 5, 2008.

1. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Kewl, Raul.

Nice guy, eh? Anyway ... sounded like a lot of fun. This is my least fave of the BeethFive ... so, I'm not overly familiar with it. Sounded good though ... the piano part was really soft though. Maybe the mike was set too far away from it? Of course, it could just be my goofy old computer too!

I've got to say though, it was unintentionally comical. That one part with the piano solo and only bass instruments ... I'm assuming ludwig originally scored it for low strings? and maybe winds? ... The tubas ooompahing away on those fifths made me roar. So, the arrangement was at times disconcerting ... otherwise, though, I enjoyed the piano ... even if it was a bit difficult to hear it clearly at all times.

Was this the only mvt you guys did? I'm ambivalent towards arrangements usually, but the ensemble really seemed to have left you down in some parts. And that's a shame. Still, as a piano-centric person myself, LONG LIVE THE SOLOISTS!!!!!! 8)

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Must be nice to get to play a concert, even if it's only one movement. Sounds like a good job, insofar as you can be heard aminst the cheerful thumping of the winds. Yes the effect is a bit comical (wind instruments can have that effect unless especially written for by an expert wind composer). In the last minute, around 6:20 the trumpets sound rather bad.