Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Beethoven - 4th piano concerto - Andante con moto

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Didier, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Didier,

Very neat doing this kind of concerto-turned-into-two-part-piano recording. Was it hard to get both parts together? I do not know this, so I cannot comment on any rhythm problems. Notes all sounded correct and you have good dynamics. I can't put this up today, but probably can tomorrow.

p.s. If you are a father, then Happy Fathers Day! (It's Father's Day today in the USA)

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nice idea to do this one solo ! Except for one or two bars (and only the first chords of these) this mvt is a dialogue between orchestra and piano, and lends itself very well for this purpose.

Well played, and sounds great (your sound quality is legendary). You could make a little more contrast between the orchestra and piano parts. Perhaps, play the orchestra parts una corda, even when they are forte ? I remember these parts always sounding a bit muffled. Your rhythm is indeed not everywhere steady, especially the dotted figures need attention, as well as the staccatos. In some bars, you hurry - keep that tempo steady ! In bar 22 you play a D sharp instead of D natural. In the cadenza I think you use too much pedal (or many need to change it more often, or apply half pedaling).

But despite the minor niggles, a great job !

4. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you Monica and Chris for your listening.

Not at all because I played them together. Not difficult because, as Chris said, the piano and the orchestra most often do not play together. If I would have done 'rerecording', like the Emerson Quartet did for their recording of the Mendelssohn's octuor, I could have played the two-piano score without change, but I thought it was too complicated with respect to the minor difference with respect to what I did.

Your audition is great, Chris ! :)
    Thank you much for this remark because it was a recurrent mistake.

I thought rather to use 'presence' microphones, a second pair of microphones closer to the piano, that I would have put in the mix only on the piano parts. But on these last times, I am in a mood of making the things as simple as possible. I should try for the next time.
    Beethoven said the piano should play una corda during all this second movement. I played una corda the piano part except for the cadenza.

5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Great, Didier! This is one of my favourite movements of Beethoven Piano-Concertos. (And BTW it was one of the favourites of Wilhelm Backhaus. I saw an interview with him, in which he explained the old Greek mythic background Beethoven had in his mind, when he wrote this piece.)
    You play it really beautifully and expressively and the sound-quality is splendid.
    It´s really a very nice idea, to record this piece by playing piano- and orchestrapart, you give us a little treasure with it!

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok - this is up.

I wasn't sure how to word this exactly on the "concerto' page. All I did was say "Transcription for two pianos". But it's only one piano playing, so I'm not sure about this. Do you or any of the other admins have a better way?

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It still is the transcription for two pianos, even if it's played on only one. So I would leave that as it is.

8. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    That's fine. Thank you Monica.

I saw also an interview when he was old and where he said that the 4th from Beethoven was his preferred piano concerto and he played the beginning of the first movement -it is the first piano concerto in the history where the piano starts before the orchestra- on an upright piano. I do not remember that he talk about a Greek myth, likely because it was another interview or I saw only a part. I do not have a recording of this concerto played by him. I have his Beethoven's fifth with Carl Schuricht directing the Italian radio orchestra. My preferred version of the fourth is by Willhelm Kempff and the Berliner Philharmoniker directed by Ferdinand Leitner. I enjoyed much the recording from Chiara available on Pianosociety. I shall listen to it again.
    Thank you for your kind words, Andreas.

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The 4th is certainly Beethoven's most wonderful concerto, and one of the most magical concerti in all repertoire. I fondly remember an old LP of Eduardo del Pueyo I had as a child. Things you listen to at a young age always remain special.

10. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I watched an interview with Argerich saying that she heard as a child this concerto played by Claudio Arrau in a concert from her country and it was such a magical experience for her that she's never played it herself, in order not to break the magic! (Indeed I've never heard her playing this. I suppose she plays only the first three concertos of Beethoven.)

Didier, it is really a good idea to play this version with a piano! I enjoyed it. I agree with Chris about some minor rhythmical problems and wish a more clear contrast between the solo and the orchestra part, but it was a very nice performance.
    I know from other posts that you are the most advanced one in the recording technique on PS and your recording sounds really nice, indeed. May I ask what kind of piano do you have? (I suppose you have a nice instrument, too.)

11. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Hye-Jin, I am happy that you enjoyed my recording and thank you for your appreciation. I will certainly record this piece again in a few months and will have then to give more attention to the rythm steadiness. Yes, the sound of my recording is mostly due to my piano rather than to the recording technique : it is a Steingaeber 205, a wonderful piano well superior to the skill of its pianist. :wink: