Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bartok - Mikrokosmos Book 2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jan 18, 2009.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Recorded yesterday, here is book 2. This is already way more interesting than book 1. But the pieces are still so short that I decided on one track again. As from book 3 I will do separate tracks.

The two-piano items caused me much agony. Turns out to be incredibly hard to stay exactly on the beat. Despite my best efforts, the two tracks kept getting out of sync (must be some technical reason for that as I recorded part 2 while having the recording of part 1 on earphone). I had to slide some blocks backward and forward to correct that. I hope the occasional desynchronization is not too annoying. Maybe I should have another try.

Bartok - Sz.107 - Mikrokosmos - Book 2 ( 19:47 )

2. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    good job

I like Bartok, but I listened to this mostly because I may teach a little. (Starting with my grandson and my daughter.)
    The solo's are excellent.
    The four-hand piece which runs from 11:20 to the 11:50 mark has synchronization problems that leave the user somewhat disconcerted. However, I would not bother re-recording this for that reason It lasts only 30 seconds, and you've got four more volumes remaining (if my memory serves me.)
    Good luck. I'll try to listen to Volume 6 with a score - it was my introduction to Bartok when I was young.

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Mikrokosmos

Good job, Chris. I bet some young students could benefit from listening to these. The Mikrosmos are very good exercises in rhythm and tone as well as a good introduction to Twentieth Century music.

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: good job

Thanks Stu and Andreas !

Yes I am peeved by that synchronization problem. I believe the recording/remastering is partly responsible for that (though can't see how, exactly...) as I definitely did play better synchronized than that. Even had the metronome clicking in the background !

Hehe, Book 6 is a while away. I have not even played all of those yet, let alone practised them.
    Vol. 3 will be relatively soon.

5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris,
    first let me tell you my respect and congratulations to this project, which is really great IMO!

You play it nearly perfectly, what´s concerning accuracy and expression!
    You are a great Bartok-player from my view.

I found some little nitpickings, which I hope to be useful to you:
    Nr. 50: the last four bars you play always a staccato on the crotchet, I have a legato-bow in my score.
    Nr. 65 I played with some of my pupils recently. It´s also not so easy with the three systems. You play greatly here! Only in the third bar before the end you play a b instead of a c in the bass-voice.

Congratulations to nr. 55, seems difficult to me somehow, with these double systems.

Thank you very much for recording this and sharing it with the whole world! I´m enthused and I attend book 3 with curiosity.

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Re: good job

Techneut wrote:
    That wasn´t me above, Chris. :wink:

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well wow, thanks ! But actually, I did not attempt to put any much expression in these first two books. The purpose was to play this simply as written, as I think would be most instructive from a didactic point of view. I sampled some recordings from a complete Bartok I downloaded, I guess they are played by Koczis (or maybe Jando) and the approach is very much the same. I will start to depart from this as from book three where I will put in more of my own ideas too and not be so literal.

Anyway, easy enough to be a great Bartok player if you restrict to his easy works :lol: I should pull really out my finger and proceed with the Out Doors 8)

Dammit, I guess I'll have to redo these now :x But thanks :D

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    Well, that´s what I meant, you are a great Bartok-player, because you seem to follow the intention of the composer by playing these pieces simply as written (also concerning the prescriptions of expression, aritculation and dynamics). I second that at hundert percent for the didactical purpose. I think, the first two books offer not too much place for own experiments and individual ideas of interpretations.

I think, the more progressing the books are, the more place is for own ideas.

May be for you easy enough. And I had in my mind also other earlier Bartok-recordings of you, when I wrote this. :wink:

Don´t pull too much, I don´t know, if Mikrokosmos 3 is well to play with too long fingers. :lol:

You see, you react like me, when somebody shows you a (minor and little) flaw (in this case). :wink: