DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier Bk I & II

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by nathanscoleman, Oct 11, 2007.

1. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    AOL:
    nathanscoleman
    Hullo all,

I've found this website to be an enormous asset when working on the Preludes and Fugues of J. S. Bach. Great analysis and performance notes on all the works in both books.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~siglind/text.htm

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow. I happen to be working on my first Prelude and Fugue right now, so I went right over to look at this. Too bad that a lot of it is over my head - sort of, 'information overload'. :oops:
    But I did get some better understanding regarding the trills and tempo. That's a big help. Thanks for the link.

3. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    GOOD LORD INDEED!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What editions do you recommend?

Just attend an Angela Hewitt concert in Berkeley last night (playing viola da gamba sonatas with Daniel Muller-Schott + D major keyboard partita + d minor cello suite, wonderful) and want to work on playing some Bach. Currently all I have is the Dover WTC + suites/partitas/goldbergs/etc and some freebies off the web.

What are your favorite sheet music editions of Bach? Why?

I'm interested in perhaps playing something from WTC but might consider something from Italian Concerto, Suites, Partitas, Inventions and Sinfonias. A wide net yes, but I'll only concentrate on a single or small handful of pieces in the near term.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dover's fantastic value IMO but it's annoying that the pages sometimes won't lie flat on the stand, especially with the fatter volumes. Check out the toccatas - the D major (BWV912) is a cracking good recital piece. Otherwise you seem to have most of it pretty well covered but need to get the Art of Fugue (I've got the Peters edition which is nicely laid out) and the Cromatic Fantasy & Fugue (I've got the Henle Urtext which also contains a lot of other mainly early stuff which is interesting but probably not all that suitable for public performance).

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So the Bach Dover editions are considered good? Ok, makes life easier and cheaper.

My piano teacher in highschool seemed to be a fan of Tovey. As I listened to Angela Hewitt play at the concert from sheet music (for the sonata with the cellist) I was wondering what edition she was using and what top notch professionals would select - probably a set of them plus find copies of manuscripts in some cases.

Anyway, more comments are welcome.

7. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    I have read some of the analysis through in the past and the guide she presents is very valid. I especially find the suggested tempo marks given a great help as tempo in Bach is always a problem.

8. Biggemski

Biggemski New Member

Hello! Would you be so kind to send me first pair from WTCII ?