Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - WTC - G

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Mar 29, 2012.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the feedback Andreas. You're right about the trills in the G minor prelude, they are too loud. And yes there are 2 or 3 tiny imperfections in two of the fugues. I guess they slipped past me while recording, as principally I don't allow any wrong notes anymore and would have corrected had I heard them. I'm glad the two G major preludes can pass muster now, took me a great log of determination to get the better of them. As for voicing, yes, you do that better than I can.

I'll be very interested to hear your Brahms clarinet sonata. I've worked on this piece so hard, it has some fearfully difficult moments.

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    They do sound absolutely great now!

Yes, it´s quite virtuoso for piano and I have to admit, that I have much more to fight with it than my colleague. (I think he is on the clarinet better than me on the piano. :oops: But on the other side, on the piano one has to play more tones, isn´t it?! :lol: )
    Especially in the middle there is a passage (I think, it´s in the execution) I don´t feel to well with, especially in a higher tempo.

(I will step to your a-flat-pairs the next days, today we had a children´s birthday and the only thing I can do now is falling into bed - after having drunk a glass of "43". :wink: )

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Haha, flattery will get you nowhere ! But good to hear anyway.

Those must be bars 183-186/ Pretty horrific even without the devilish cross-rhythm.

Goshdarn, is that bottle still not empty yet ? You're useless :D

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I´m more thinking of bars 116-122, somehow I can´t get to well the little third runs between. But bars 183-186 are the second virtuoso place.

I was talking of a second bottle I have bought myself after having enjoyed the one you brought me. Phew, seems I´m not too useless. :D (And now I´m telling you something very secret: I like to mix it up with some milk in the last time, that gives a nice cocktail. :) )

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh yes that is heavy too. Not to mention that the middle notes of the chords must be kept down.

Oh that is better :)

6. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Hello Chris,

I listened to all four Preludes and Fugues in your set.

You are very consistent in your specific articulations throughout all your playing and this is very effective. It creates an almost visual, architectural sense of the pieces. You follow through with your ideas.

There are one or two spots that could have been a bit more even but the playing on the whole is extremely professional. The music unfolds through your technique which unveils many nuances while always staying within the main idea.

The character you bring out of each prelude and fugue is unique and fitting. There is great care in your playing. The tone is beautiful and you convey a range of moods. 

Everything seems appropriate in the execution of the embellishments. They are so carefully laid out and planned while sounding natural. That is another paradox of your interpretation. You make something sound natural while at the same time playing in a manner that impresses with the perfectly timed trills, or staccatos articulated for long phrases with exact duration and tonal roundness.

I am really impressed by your hard work and success.

Kaila Rochelle

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wow thank you Kaila ! That is a rave review if ever I got one :D
    It seems almost too much praise - I can't believe they are that good. The more I get into this music, the more elusive it seems despite all the hard work and dedication. But I believe these are not bad, and I like to think old JSB would have approved of them (grudgingly maybe, he would have had some nits to pick).

8. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Chris,

While not perfect, it was none-the-less a beautiful performance. Your thoughts were very well organized.

-Kaila