Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - Wir gläuben all an einen Gott, BWV 680

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, May 12, 2009.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Very good, Chris. I followed with score and I think, it´s quite note-perfect, but in church there is always so much reverberation, that I can´t say it surely.
    I enjoyed it very much! It sounds very well unedited like it is.
    (I think, I wouldn´t be able to play such a chorale prelude on organ, because I´m not so much used to the pedal. I only play one or two times the organ in a year. But in earlier times Franz has shown me some pedal-exercises and I learned a bit from the organ-school of Ernst Kaller.)
    BTW, the title is "Wir glauben all an einen Gott", not "Wir gläuben..."

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks :D Not quite noteperfect... There's a couple of awkward spots in and around the pedal parts, but listening back it was not as bad as I thought it was while playing. Which is a change from the usual experience. I just love this chorale, especially on an organ that can make these rumbling pedal sequences sound like a band of tubas, trombones and bassons.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Very interesting, so you can see, what a bad organ-critic I am. But for me the main-thing is, that I enjoyed it very much, and indeed, the sound of the organ is really good. That´s a recording I can listen to again and again...

5. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I just realized I should have tagged you in a note I posted on Facebook the other day, Chris. I don't know if I could determine if an organ performance was note-perfect. :cry:

And yeah, I noticed the bass notes were nice. I just finished a course in Baroque music history, and our prof used the C minor passacaglia for a listening assignment, and he turned the volume up so that the windows rattled with the pedal notes. :lol:

6. Franz Josef Streuff

Franz Josef Streuff New Member Piano Society Artist

retired teacher
    Last Name:
    Streuff
    First Name:
    Franz Josef
    CHoralvorspiel

Hello, Chris Breemer, what a surprise to hear you play on an organ. It seems a good and powerful instrument which reminds me of an organ performance in one of these majestic Netherland churches a long time ago, 1968 in fact, when we spent our holidays near Alkmaar. I forgot the name of the church in Alkmaar but the impression is still there: I adored the steadiness and solid
    counterpoint of Bach's Preludes anf fugues. The organist also played a few "Choralvorspiele" (I say it in German) Actually not the one you recorded for P S just lately, however it had a similar radiation
    compared to your solid performance. What a wonderful craftsman J S Bach was in his field as a composer, unsurpassable really who estimated his work as an honest trade in order to serve God
    Almighty with never diminishing energy . This spirit emerges from your performance as well. Barock music produced in the Netherlands has often left a strong impression of solid workmanship in my soul. Just recently Iheard the H-moll- Messe under Toon Koopman with his Amsterdam Barock Ensemble in the TOnhalle, Düsseldof. But I will end here and not digress this frame too much. Anyhow THANK YOU for your choice of of this Bach organ piece. My ears were wide open- Best wishes Francois.-

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thank you Francois. I love this piece but I have my great teacher to thank for this sounding like it does now. I used to bullshit my way through this piece like there was no tomorrow, trying to impress with a hellish tempo and a lot of noise. He patiently goaded me towards bringing out the majesty for which I am very grateful.

This is a wonderful organ indeed... I wish I could play on it whenever I wanted. But I only get to play on it during lesson, one hour per two weeks. This recording was the fruit of last lesson, the fourth take I think, just before the end. I am peeved by a couple of pedal smudges but otherwise it came out better than I thought it would.

Like you, I am in total awe of Bach. I love many composers, but he is my God. And never more so than when playing his organ music, especialy the chorales. People are always amazed I don't aspire to play Widor, Guilmant, and Messiaen. But I need only Bach. Once I have played all of Bach, I may consider other composers. Or maybe just start all over again :D

8. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I must've missed this. Well done, sir! I think that this setup is your best so far and the accustics of the church makes me want to say that you should rerecord everything with what you have now :wink:

The Netherlands is always a good place to record organ music because all the churches are vacant :(

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Would be nice yes, but it's hardly going to happen with one hour of lesson time every 2 weeks. I should however aim to have 1 piece sufficiently ready for a lesson so that with a bit of luck it can be recorded.

Really :roll:
    The number of things that go on in any given church (especially the nice ones with good organs) is quite amazing. And each decent church that has a good organ will have several well-trained organists, and not be particulary keen on giving an amateur free rein of the premises. It's not quite as easy as you seem to think it is.