Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach- Toccata in C Minor

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by tania_stavreva, Dec 11, 2007.

1. tania_stavreva

tania_stavreva New Member Piano Society Artist

Musician
    Last Name:
    Stavreva
    First Name:
    Tania
    Dear Robert,

I finally made the new recordings that I was talking about in my last e-mail. I hope that you will recieve the MP3 files successfully. I hope you will enjoy the Bach and the Barber. Thank you very much!

Regards:

Tania

P.S. Also, I forgot to ask you. How do I set up the Arist Donation? I would like to have the button on my profile if possible.

Bach Toccata in C minor - BWV 911

2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    It is on there.

Great job - thanks for posting!

Also - what's this you say about a Barber piece? Where is that? :?

3. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Tania, this was ezcellent!

Raymond

4. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Just lovely, Tania. Beautifully meditative ... just how I like my Bach.

5. tania_stavreva

Musician
    Last Name:
    Stavreva
    First Name:
    Tania
    Thank you

Thank you all for the nice words about my Bach. The Barber sonata is one of my favorite piano pieces. I am trying to upload it from my web site www.sonicbids.com/taniastavreva but I will try on a different computer. I don't know why it did not work. I hope that you will enjoy it as soon as I add it to my pianosociety profile. Thank you again! Please, have wonderful holidays!

Warmest regards:

Tania

6. tania_stavreva

Musician
    Last Name:
    Stavreva
    First Name:
    Tania
  7. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Your Bach is delightful! All I need is a liver, fava beans and a nice Chianti :wink: :lol:

8. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Monica just posted our first ever Barber piece a few weeks ago - I bet she's going to excited about this sonata, and played by such a talented pianist. :D My connection is slow as hell, though, so it'll probably be an hour before I can listen to it. :(

9. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wrong topic ? You should have posted this in the Goldberg thread 8)

10. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    BAch

Bach: A wonderful performance! Clarity and brilliance! A comfortable tempo which I feel is perfect.

11. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The Bach is up and so is the Barber. Really good playing. You are very talented.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A wonderful performance of the Bach Toccata. What amazing and criminally underrated works they are ! Even if some of the fugatic themes are not as interesting as in his later works, their youthful exuberance is irresistable. And some of the slow movements are really deep. I particularly enjoyed your perfectly even and sonorous RH chords in the opening movement, which is performed with great dignity.

It is nice that people comment on how talented you are. Which is very true, but we need to realize that next to talent, a perfect recording of a big piece like this is also (perhaps mainly) a result of enormous dedication and long hard work. This is something that us happy-go-lucky amateurs maybe not always fully appreciate. Then again we have to make do with the time and resources we are given, which are in another league than that of the professionals. It always strikes me as funny that on PS the amateurs seem to be judging the pros instead of the other way around :wink:

On to the Barber now - looking forward to it.

13. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It was great to hear this Barber Sonata again. Been many years since I did, and tried to play it but miserably failed. Of course this is material for real pianists only, and you do a very fine job indeed.

This is not, for the most part, the romantic and expansive Barber that we all know and love here. This sonata, which is surely among the greatest of the past century, has the rather more abrasive style of the Piano Concerto. I find some parallels with Ginastera's popular first sonata, especially in the scherzo movement. Interesting to speculate if one of the composers knew the other's sonata.

The noble theme halfway the first movement gives a glimpe of the more popular Barber, and I remember this was what made me want to play the Sonata - plus the fugue of course, having a thing about fugues. Your voicing and rhythmic drive in the fugue are fantastic.

The only thing I find disappointing about this recording is the shallow sound. The instrument sounds beautiful but the recording lacks depth and resonance, so that the stunning finale does not have the powerful impact that it should have. The clarity is maybe a bonus, but I just miss the grand sound in this grandest of sonatas. Some more reverb could help but for those who insist on hearing all the individual notes (which are all there, and in the right order too) this may not sound a good idea.

All in all, congratulations on a first-rate job :D And good to have this iconic work on the site.

14. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Both the Bach Toccata and the Barber sonata are excellent! As Chris mentioned, it is a bit awkward the we amateur are commenting the interpretations of professionals so I will not even try but for more of the words "Wonderful, splendid, technically perfectly executed (especially the Bach Toccata), perfect musically controlled". I loved every second of it.

Regarding the donation button, it is already at your biography (see my response in the email I sent you).