Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach-Rach BWV 1006 Preludio

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by hyenal, Jan 9, 2010.

1. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Hi, Hye Jin!

congratulations playing this beautiful transcription!
    you play it pretty much the way I like it! and your mistakes are hardly noticeable.

it's very good this way you played, and everything I say doesn't mean you SHOULD do, because... as I said... it's already good!

anyway... if I could say something, I only wished a little more sound in some forte passages (these are only few, and maybe the end also). there is also that passage at 2'18 which I wished it was softer. but I know it can be very difficult (I played the much easier Siloti transcription, and I couldn't play any softer... so imagine the Rachmaninov's one!)

WOW! Your crescendo at 2'55 is SO BEAUTIFUL! this is one of the most beautiful moments of this transcription, but I never heard it that way!

great job, Hye!
    and cute daughter!

2. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks for Listening, Felipe! I was also much encouraged by your positive feedback, since I know you like this piece a lot. :D
    I totally agree to all your suggestions. For the simple quoting's sake I numbered your comments with a, b, c.
    (a): I know the forte was rather flat played. There are two reasons. First one is based on the instrument, when I try to defend myself :lol: I think if I played this on the steinway on which I used to play, it would sound really differently. Second, I must admit, though, that I'm not on the technical level of being able to play forte with relaxed LH as far as this passage goes. That LH finger work is pretty hard (well, all the Bach pieces for keyboard provide me the same difficulty :roll: ), so when I try to reach the desired forte, my LH doesn't want to cooperate :x
    (b): I want to play this softer, too :lol: Frankly speaking that idea didn't come to me until I listened to the Biret that you sent to me. She shows us how beautiful the softness can be. But you know, I changed my playing version of that part just a couple of days ago (from the ossia version to the original version). I must practice this passage more in the new version.
    (c): What a compliment! I'm so happy :D :D

3. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Sarah, I'm back to your comment. Together with Chris' suggestion, yours gave me many thoughts about interpreting this piece. I love this piece in original so much that I almost started to learn playing violin before having found this transcription :lol: :wink: So I heard this piece from my cds of Henryk Szerying and Hilary Hahn many times during learning this transcription. What I love most of all on those playing is the "breathing" as you put it. The violinists play this piece so freely, that I was a bit puzzled as I look at the violin score at the first time, like „Is this the same piece as on the cds?” In fact this difference between the score itself and the violin playing is nearly the same as between the piano playing of Rach’s version and the violin playing. Rach has created a very pricisely inter-woven complexity which are also full of polyphony. This is valid also for the beginning. I know the beginning part on my recording is in a hectic rush, but don’t know how to solve this problem within this composition of Rach yet. I usually am lacking of imagination :( BTW my “spacing on the ending” is based on Rach’s notation “allrgando”. Anyway I wish I could play the beginning better, since I especially love the beginning of the original.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Hye-Jin,
    thank you for your reply. I thought because of the first sentence you wrote to your new recordings it´s by "Rach" which I have added to "Rachfan", I didn´t think of Rachmaninof himself, unfortenunately. This lets me think of a famous german sentence: Das Denken sollte man besser den Pferden überlassen! (translation by me: one should let do the thinking to the horses better than to the men.) :lol:

I´m so sorry, that I didn´t see, that your baby is a female one. But it´s difficult to see in this age. :lol: So I´m very happy you have such a cute daughter! :!: Yes, sometimes one is disappointed in life, you probably will to have stand up in the night, when your daughter will be three, I´m quite sure. But don´t worry, life goes on. :D

5. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi hyenal,

Wow! I was awed and bowled over listening to your performance of this transcription by Rachmaninoff. I know much of his music, but had never come across this transcription before, so it was a treat to hear it. And you play it in a breathtaking way! I cannot say enough about your playing. One word--superb!

The fact that Rachmaninoff would write this piano transcription doesn't surprise me at all. He used to love to play Scarlatti sonatas at home to work on his technique. So he certainly had an on-going interest in the Baroque. In this transcription he preserves the Baroque style and feeling throughout, yet puts a wonderful late romantic tinge on it, but not in a heavy handed way. The synthesis is gorgeous. What a wonderful and exciting piece!

P.S. The picture of your daughter is adorable! Thanks for posting it.

David

6. sarah

sarah New Member

Uh-oh..... bless your heart! :D

Finding the places for the music to "breathe" seems, at least for me, to be a mighty problem to wrestle with when playing polyphonic works, particularly those written or inspired by Bach (my last Bach fugue required the shedding of many tears, and I still don't like what I came up with :roll: ). You've already got the ending so well, I know that it's just a matter of time before you work out the first part! I find your comments on listening to the violin version very interesting; I've only heard this piece in its piano arrangement, so you have piqued my curiosity. :D

7. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks Andreas for the german idiom. Even though I live here, many of such things are unknown to me... Maybe I spent too much time for the music to learn all the other cultral things in Germany :roll:

:lol: You are right!

8. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    David, thank you very much for your kind words but I myself know better than anyone else that my recording here doesn't deserve such a compliment :oops: (Therefore I want to submit a better recording for the main site later.) I suppose your first experience of this wonderful piece gave you a positive impression also about my recording. My discovery of it happened in the same way: I heard it on the CD of Bernd Glemser for the first time and was very excited! But now I find that playing not so good after having studied this piece myself. Anyway I'm very happy that you discovered this treasure through my posting! :D

9. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Sarah, after I read this post of yours I listened to the violin versions of those two musicians again. I must correct something from my last post. Szerying follows the score relatively well, compared to Hahn. She plays that with much originaliy concerning the phrasing. I love her natural phrasing. It's really like "breathing"! But what struck my notice was her phrasing on the beginning is very sililar with Rach's version. Considering her age, it's not possible that Rach imitated her :lol: Then is it so, that Hahn, a violinist, studied the piano transcription? Or is that phrasing actually very natural to all the gifted musicians? Anyway I did look the piano score more carefully and tried to realize the written phrasing more naturally. I think it works more or less :D

10. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hyenal wrote:
    Oh, accidentially I see now, that I have teached you an uncomplete lesson. :oops: :? I have quoted the sentence uncompletely, the complete version is: "Das Denken sollte man besser den Pferden überlassen, denn sie haben die größeren Köpfe!" (my personal translation into English: "One should let the thinking to the horses, because they have the bigger heads!") The italicised letters I have forgotten to write in my last response here, seems, that I truely have been absolutely tired. :shock:
    Phew, now I´m totally relieved, that I have discovered this little accident and that the german cultur does not pass you in such an incomplete und unfunny way. :lol:

11. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks Andreas, since I was wondering why they're saying about horses, and not about dogs or cats :lol: :lol:

12. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I thought I had commented on this before, but I guess I didn't - I know I listened to it before, but I must have gotten called away from the computer or something. Anyway, it sounded really nice! Yes, there were some spots of rushing, and the too-light touch that Chris mentioned (I do the same thing when something is not completely under my fingers, technically....but you never claimed to have this one quite mastered), but overall the performance was very satisfying. I have never felt inclined to listen to this one before, and it's even more Rachian and less Bachian than I expected....but good job!

13. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks Terez for listening und commenting! You know, I already played this piece in front of others and practiced a lot, and still think I'd never master this piece. It's a bit beyond my technical level, I must admit. However I'm practicing the other movements now, so anyhow I will post all of the set.

14. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Excellent! I really loved it. I like this transcription more than the original for violin--much more--and your performance of it is superb!

15. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thank you Raymond! I think your positive impression about my playing is mainly resulted from this gorgeous arrangement of Rach itself. But you know, I still prefer the original to this piano version 8) I'm just thanksful to Rach because I can play this piece without having to learn playing the violin :lol: :lol: