Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach-Rach BWV 1006 Preludio

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by hyenal, Jan 9, 2010.

1. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    This is the opening piece of Rach's ingenious transription set of Bach's E major partita for solo violin. Thanks to Terez who sent me the score and thanks to Chris and Alfonso who encouraged me to start practicing this set I could learn this piece. But this file is not intended to go to the main site. It cannot go, because (1) it has too many slips, (2) I did something wrong so that the sound volume is too low (you can hear much hiss), (3) for your listening I did one edit, and that's ugly audible :(
    So this posting is just for your comments that I alway cordially appreciate. I was asked to play something on the 18th this month and at that time I was practicing this transcription. Now I think I was really crazy to plan this (at least to me) hard piece in front of audience. My only wish now is just to able to play this without stopping :( But it could be improved in other aspects, too, I mean through your feedbacks. (I think Felipe has much to criticize, because he loves this piece. :wink: Felipe helped me at some questions about this piece, too. Thanks!)
    Ah, this is recorded on my new digital piano. I tried to make use of the sir1 plugin to which I get through Alfonso's posting and of course Didier's posting. But a strange error prevents me from pasting that file in a proper folder. I did download a zip file, but after opening that, only an empty folder remains in my computer :( The dll file was copied, but I cannot paste it. Can anybody help me, please?

Added: Please listen to the file in Alf's reply on this thread. He improved the sound quality and attached that file. I just deleted the original one. Thanks Alfonso again!

2. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I forgot attaching a recent photo of my baby (you can see her father as Rudolf disguised, too). I promised Monica to do it when I post my next recording. Here it is, even though this recording is just a "beta version".

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oooh, she is a cutie! Those chubby cheeks - looks like she is being well-cared for! And your husband/Rudolph. Mighty funny! Thanks for the photo, Hye-Jin.

And about your recording here: I happen to love the Rachmaninov transcriptions and often listen to my CD of Olga Kern playing them (I think she's very good). And this is one time I may actually be able to critique your playing, but I couldn't because I could barely hear it. I tried - turned my speakers all the way up and still could not hear well enough. :( Sorry, I can't help you as far as the technology problems.

4. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Hye-Jin, I downloaded your MP3, applied some gain and re-uploaded the result here. It should go now.

I'll come back to it later in the day, but since I think this was very likely recorded in one take, hats off to you.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is an awesomely good job already Hye-Jin ! The couple of little fluffs are pretty inconsequential and should not prevent it from going up the site. The very low volume is a problem - but I guess it would be easy to amplify it in an audio editor.
    As often with digital instruments I find the basses quite pleasant and sonorous, but the treble very tinkly and dry.
    If I may offer one suggestion, it is to take a mite more relaxed so there is more time to enjoy Rach's beautiful polyphony. I find this just a bit too hurried. Also you could apply a weightier touch in places. Some of your chords are very staccato.

6. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    To Monica:
    I'm happy to hear you like this photo :D Actually I'm very proud of having taken this (I think I made a good shot with a mirror. Of course the shooting objects played their roll well, too :wink: )
    I read somewhere Olga Kern made an excellent recording, but I had no opportuniy to hear that. What a pity that I made a mistake with the recorder, so that you couldn't hear well... I did the same thing as I always did for recording with the real grand ("auto gain"), and somehow the result was so poor. I'll experiment with the gain adjustment more and wishfully can post the second piece (Gavotte) with proper volume soon. I'm looking forward to hear your harsh :)wink:) criticism!!!

To Alfonso:
    Thanks a lot for taking your time to do this! Thanks to your efforts I could get more comments :D
    Yes, it was recorded in one take, but around the audible editing I had to stop playing because of too ugly pressed chords. So I repeated that part and used "cut" and "paste" funtion on the Adobe Audition. As I already mentioned, I wish I could play that without stopping soon. This piece is so complex, that in many occasions a heavy slip leads to stopping :(

To Chris:
    Thanks for your very helpful comments! I totally agree that this recording gives an impression of being hurried. I want to relax myself and to enjoy more the music itself, too. This is a first try, so it could be improved, wishfully thinking.
    Could I ask you which chords made such impressions? I'm eager to know... Maybe that impression was resulted from my inefficient technique or hand size (I had difficulties with my hand size again :evil:)
    BTW I plan to make a recording every day for preparing that performance. If I'll be dilligent enough to follow this plan, I'll have several better recording before the performance. One of them must go to the main site with the other two pieces which I'm practicing, too.

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You will get no harsh criticism from me because now that I can hear you, I think you played this very well. Really! I like your tempo too - Kern plays it just slightly faster. I'd be happy to send you all three Bach/Rach pieces that I ripped from my CD - if you want them, that is. Just pm your email address if you do.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Specifically the ones in bars 108 and 112 thru 116 (if I counted correctly - my score has no bar numbers :x ) The bass octave in bar 84 (if I counted correctly) and similar places could have a bit more weight.

This piece is one hard bastard. But I am sure you'll play it to perfection yet.

Yes your daughter is very cute indeed !

9. s_winitsky

s_winitsky Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

programmer
    Last Name:
    Winitsky
    First Name:
    Stan
    Excellent recording Hyenal. Very nice!

You know I had the exact same problem with volume/hiss when I plug my digital into the mic in instead of the line in of my sound card. In fact the sound card of my laptop did not have a mic in so I bought an external USB sound card designed for recording musical instruments (50$ CAD at my local music shop.) After that the hiss and volume problems went away (although I generally record at a low volume level anyway.)

10. sarah

sarah New Member

Your little girl is so adorable! I just want to reach out into the computer screen and touch her cute cheeks. She looks very bright and alert, too. I'm so happy you shared the photo!

I really enjoyed your excellent rendition of this gorgeous piece. The tempo seemed good, and the dynamics were beautiful. The only suggestion I might give would be to let the music breathe a little more at the beginning. The spacing on the ending was lovely! Thank you very much for this delightful addition to my Saturday morning. :D

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'd have to see what exatcly you are doing and wat exactly that strange error is. The devil is in the details.

12. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Oh, thank you so much Monica, I'll pm, of course! :D Thanks for your generous listening, too. After hearing a fantastic pro like Kern you must have noticed an apparent level difference :wink: But your positive feedback really encourages me for the coming performance :D
    BTW have you listened to Jorge Bolet's rendition on YT? I love it very much. One more recording I want to praise is that of Idil Biret that Felipe sent to me. Her rendition is really original! On YT I found a recording of Rach himself, too, but after a few days I have no access to that page. I see the message like: In the country where you live this is against the copyright law... Germany is the biggest classical music market, so that too many sources in internet is not available to those who live here :evil:
    About his performance itself, I found that too fast and too dry, however. :roll:

13. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thank you Chris for the kind counting :D Mine has no numbers, too. But I think I got which bars you meant. (1) is the first bar on the second last page (if yours is of Bewin-mills, too), isn't it? I counted that as 107. (2) is not clear... But I guess those bars on the third and the fourth line on the second last page. (Chris, I'll send to your email my score. Please confirm that. I appreciate that very much in advance!)
    About (1): I heard some pianists play these chords in LH as staccato and just liked that. But I know this bar has no staccato mark at all. Only two chords on the bar right in front of that bar and two chords again on the bar right behind that bar are marked as staccato. But I cannot understand why only those bars are staccato (and why others not) and what Rach intended through that. Chris, do you have an idea?? (2): You mean the chords on RH, right? (partly as tenuto marked) Yes, I know these are most beautiful part of this piece and also very important at the same time. But my hand size doesn't allow me to play that legato. I also practiced that part with the middle pedal to sustain the tenuto notes more and forgot to do that during the recording. (3): I'll be more careful. Thanks!

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes, Felipe loves Biret! :lol: I just listened to Bolet's version. I agree with you, it's great. I was also able to access the Rachmaninov video and listened to a little of it too. The sound is indeed a bit dry and he plays it so fast that you can't even hear half of the notes.

I just saw your pm - I'll go send those files now. I think you will like them (I hope).

15. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Dear s_winitsky (sorry, I don't know your real name...), thanks for listening and the useful advice about the recording problem. Now I must consider the case, in which I get no better result from connecting my Zoom recorder with the digital piano. But oh no.... I have to buy me a notebook computer soon, and also a headphone for practicing on the digital piano... Now a sound card, too? (BTW what kind of headphone are you using for practicing on your digital? I put a topic about headphones in "The Piano". I'm searching a relative cheap one, but Pantelis (he seems to be an expert on that subject) says at my price range I cannot find a decent one.)

16. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks for your kind words, Sarah! The "adorable" baby started to pull out the power chord of my digital piano that I can practice only at nights (Her naps during the days are too short :x )... :D
    Now I go to feed her and will be back to write something more to you. By then!

17. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Hye-Jin, I've just re-listened to it and personally I don't think it's too fast, the finger work is pretty clean but I understand your problem with the keyboard since I usually experience it as well. It's a good idea, provided you have time, to record every day and check the improvement. By listening critically to our own recordings we can learn a good deal about what we miss when playing (not only notes!). Keep us posted with the other two movements (now I'm especially interested in the third one :D )

18. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Wow, that´s excellent, Hye-Jin. Besides of some slips (also a few wrong notes) this recording seems very good to me. The wrong notes don´t matter anything IMO. May be there a bit too much pedal here and there (especially around 1:55 IMO), but that´s a matter of taste, of course. One could play this also completely without pedal probably, what do you think? The tempo is o.k., one could let this tempo without not giving the impression to hurry, just try to become quiet inside while playing (I know it´s not always easy).
    I have to say, it was absolutely a pleasure to listen to this recording for me. Thank you very much for sharing!

Is that arrangement really by David April? If so, I have to congratulate him here, it´s very good IMO.
    And have my sincere congratulations to your wonderful little son. I often have to stand up in the night, when my little son (he is 3 years old now) becomes awake in the night or early in the morning and my wife wants to sleep also sometimes a bit. :wink:

That was a very nice start in the new year here on PS!

19. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks for your feedback! No, my tempo is never too fast, but I was hurrying, that's right. Yesterday I wanted to study the score more carefully before practicing with fingers, and had no time for recording :( I even fell asleep on my couch with the score in my hands... :oops: But I realized from studying the first pages that I overlook too many things which Rach marked there. Recently I used to practice without watching the score, because I have no hand for page turning at that coming performance. This habbit lead me such a mistake, I think.

20. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks Andreas for the listening and your kind words! :D

I know where you mean. Actually I thought over and over about the pedaling there, where you hear too much pedals. All those bars have a base note sustaning thru the whole bar. You cannot hold it with your finger. So many pianists ignore their time value and let it go too early. But I decided to hold it with pedal, when it causes no big dissonance.

:shock: Why do you think so?? Your compliment about the transcription (or arrangement) itself have to belong to Sergei Rachmaninov! Did I write something wrongly on my first posting?

Now I guess you were very very tired, as you read my first posting on this thread. My baby is a girl :lol: I saw the pic of your beautiful son which Chris posted before. BTW I thought when my baby becomes three years old, I won't need to stand up in the night... What a disappointment! :lol: