DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Bach Prelude and Fugue in D major BK. I

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I am currently agonizing over this pair as well, and I know how damed hard it is to get that prelude off. To play all the correct notes (as you mostly do) is hard enough, to make them smooth and even is very daunting. I think there were some very minor slips but otherwise you do very well. Ultimately it needs to be more flowing, and also a bit faster, I think. The arpeggio chords in the last bar sound a bit out of tempo to my ears.

The fugue is also solidly played. I always miss it when someone does not play any ornaments, but most of them are of doubtful authenticity (according to the Urtext) so I respect that. You must take care not to rush in these downward passages that are written on one stave only, it seems you press ahead slightly there. In bar 20, last beat, your RH seems to play a half-hearted c natural instead of c sharp. In bar 22, 3rd beat, the top H notes should be d-e, not d-d. Lastly in bar 26, 2nd beat, the middle notes on the RH should be g-a, not a-a.

Again these booming noises at the start and end. You may want to take care of that. But all ain all, a very commendable job.

3. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    http://www.family-schmidt-minden.de
    I think both prelude and fugue is played very well. I really heard here less evenly played versions of that prelude. 8)
    Why should the prelude be played faster? Only because Richter and Gould played it in hyperspeed? I think the speed at which one can manage to come through more or less evenly through relaxed hands and also with enough capacity to listen to the left hand part is just the right tempo.
    Also the fugue is played very well - I wish I could play the left hand 32th parts as well as you do! The only mistake what bothered me a bit was in bar 20 last beat RH (Chris mentioned it already). The other reading errors Chris mentioned I would not have heard on my own, to be honest.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, I did learn it with the ornaments, but decided that since I didn't like the way they sounded, and since they might not be Bach's to just ignore them.

5. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    Hi again. Long time no see ;). As Chris already said, it was nothing against you personal but we like to keep the site an active community.

Both the prelude and fugue are well played and can go up on the site unless you wish to redo the wrong notes that Chris pointed out. Also, you can submit a biography directly in this topic if you like.

Welcome back!

6. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    The recording is up on the site and I merged them to one track only.