Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach, prelude and fugue f-minor BWV 857 from WTCI

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by musicusblau, Jul 23, 2008.

1. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Back from the holidays I couldn´t wait to practice the next prelude and fugue on my way to WTCI-completion (prelude and fugue f-minor, BWV 857). When I did wind-surfing I didn´t think of any other than this nice piece :lol: :wink: . But don´t think the speed of this piece was my speed when doing wind-surfing :shock:, just to take away wrong thoughts from you :lol: .

As usual I would be very glad about some comments!

Bach - BWV 857 - Das Wolhtemperierte Clavier I - Prelude and Fugue No.12 in F minor ( 7:31 )

2. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I cannot say I know this P and F well, but I found this performance really beautifully played and enjoyed it with much pleasure! The sound is really good.
    :lol: :lol: Actually it's a real pity we piano players cannot carry on our pianos to vacations! One of my music-friends always brings her flute with herself in holidays. I wish I could have someday a vacation where I have nothing else to do but practicing on a nice grand and eating :D

3. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hyenal wrote:
    Thank you, Hye-Jin, for your encouraging words. :D

Oh yes, that would be nearly like in paradise! :D

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    In a previous life I used to windsurf too, and I can say that if you'd surf at this speed you would fall flat on your face :lol: But anyway this is music and different rules apply.
    This is one of my favourite WTC pairs and it was the very first WTC item I recorded (not very good, I think in hindsight, with lots of slips and weak notes). I have always felt this as a powerful and stormy pair whereas you take it very meditatively (exactly 50% slower than I did). I might take it a bit slower next time but this is IMO too slow especially in the fugue where you lose out on cumulative power. Apart from the tempo I have little to complain about though. In the beginning of the fugue the voicing of the theme was a little uneven but further on it was real good especially that difficult middle voice in bars 34-36. In bars 40-43 it was slightly less even but still well done. These are hard spots ! I noticed the following things in the fugue:

Bar 14 - In the LH, last beat, you play aflat twice instead of bflat-aflat
    Bar 21 - The top C is barely heard
    Bar 22 - I don't hear the first C in the LH
    Bar 27 - A little hesitation here and a less than convincing trill
    Bar 55 - Rh plays dflat-eflat which should be d-e

All this is of course a masterclass in nitpicking :wink: It is a very good recording. One of the lower notes seems a bit off-tune (not sure which it was but it sounded twice and hurt my ear). I'll put this on the site unless Monica beats me to it.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This one is up the site. You're over half way now with WTC I !

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you very much for your valuable and appreciated comment. You are really a first class listener and piano teacher. :D
    Techneut wrote:
    For me both - the prelude and the fugue- are a typical kind of "complaining-piece" of Bach, which is evident by the chromatic structure of the theme of the fugue. In the "Affektenlehre" of the baroque this is obvious. (F. ex. Albert Schweitzer described the meaning of the chromatic figures of Bach very convincing IMO.) I know that I play it extremely slow, but that was my pure intention in this case.

I have listened three times to my record again and I think I play the b-flat only a bit weak, but for me it´s still audible, but I will test it on the piano next time.

It´s still audible, I think, I played it intentionally not so loud (o.k. may be it could be a little bit louder), because I want to bring out the main-voice in the tenor.

With this you are absolutely right. I realized it myself while listening to my record before puting it up to audition room, if I´m honest. For me at this time that was the only (little) blemish.

The hesitation is really very little and the trill I planed like this (I think, I still like it).

This is really a blemish, which makes me being unsatisfied and it´s a reason for me to rerecord or may be to rerecord only this passage and to cut it in, I have to see.
    I hate it, if a record of me has a wrong note (especially in the case of a Bach-piece and in this case there are two). It was a read-error. That´s why I appreciate this page and your comments so much, because it happens sometimes to me and I do not realize it (though I have listened several times to my record before having it published here, I have to admit :oops: ). It will probably take a little while now, because I have another musical project in the next days.

Thanks for this! :D

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    2nd and improved version of the fugue

I have rerecorded the fugue today (fortunately I found 2 silent hours for doing it).
    I think the little blemishs are deleted now and in bar 55 I play d and e natural now. :D
    I also decided to follow your suggestion, Chris, and choosed a faster tempo, I became aware, that it is easier to play and makes more fun, if the tempo is a bit slower (though it still for me is a "lamento").
    I´m much more satisfied with this version and can live with it now for a year or so, I think.
    So could you please replace the old file. (The prelude is in the new file too, of course, and it´s the complete old version, I did not rerecord the prelude, only the fugue.)

Once more much thanks for your valuable advices, Chris! :D

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: 2nd and improved version of the fugue

Too much honour... I am just one that picks out mistakes.

It's replaced ! Wow, you shaved a full minute off !

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Re: 2nd and improved version of the fugue

Techneut wrote:
    Whew, a minute, I didn´t notice that. In deed, the new one is 6:33, and the old is 7:31, which is still seen above. It´s right like this, a too long "lamento" and complaining is not good for the soul. :lol: :wink:
    Thank you for replacing the old file. :D