DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

Bach Prelude #1 in C - two versions?

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by markfresa, Feb 12, 2009.

1. markfresa

markfresa New Member

Software Engineer
    Hello all piano lovers!
    I learned the Bach Prelude #1 in C years ago, and still play it by memory. Recently I have heard another version which omits a measure that I play.
    Has anyone else heard, or heard of, a different version from the one they learned? I have a copy from various publishers, and they omit the measure I'm thinking of (toward the end of the piece).
    I think I downloaded the version I learned from a site that has, or had, free classical sheet music.
    Thanks to all in advance.
    Mark
    :?

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The extra measure you are used to playing is not original, but inserted by Gounod in his (in)famous Ave Maria. That was necessary to make the prelude sync with his own tune. Somehow that bar made its way in many editions of the original work. Makes sense that your free copy is one of these, and the official, recent copies are not.

3. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    WLM:
    terez2727@hotmail.com
    AOL:
    terez2727
    That extra measure is the bane of my existence - I learned the prelude that way, from an anthology, when I was young (first piece I ever played in public, when I was about 8), and now it doesn't seem right in my head without that measure.

4. markfresa

markfresa New Member

Software Engineer
    I was afraid of that....

Thanks Chris and Terez. I was afraid that was the case, as the official version omit that measure.
    Oh well, I only play it occasionally. Pianists beware of free sheet music!! :)