Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach Partita n. 1

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by kjarschka, Nov 3, 2007.

1. kjarschka

kjarschka New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertoglio
    First Name:
    Chiara
  2. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Partita

I'm so disappointed that this post won't play for me.

3. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Re: Partita

John, the files Chiara posted are encoded in Windows Media Audio. Don't you have a media player that can read this kind of files?

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    These are all up. You play them wonderfully. I'd be happy to play half as well.

p.s. Please make them mp3 files next time.

5. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Yes indeed it is a lovely performance as far as music and technique goes. I just wonder about the applause in the beginning, is this really a live performance or did you wish it to be given the feeling of it? Not that it matters much, I am just curious :).

6. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Partita II

This performance exhibits great charm and sterling musicianship. You played this Partita with effective ornamentation and sensitivity. I liked the merriment in the Courante and the very effective ornamentation in the Sarabande. You maintained an effective touch for each of the sections. Your technique doesn’t need mentioning; it was faultless. Every note was played with clarity and control. Additionally, you executed each section with sensitive dynamics effectively portraying the mood of each dance form.

Obviously, you have studied this work meticulously. My guess is that it is probably memorized. Your painstaking efforts have resulted in an absolutely flawless performance in my opinion. This is clearly not a work you have learned in the last couple of weeks and then posted as I have been guilty of doing. Congratulations on this magnificent performance. IMOP it is one of the best Bach posts on Piano Society.

7. kjarschka

Last Name:
    Bertoglio
    First Name:
    Chiara
    Hi pianolady and robert,
    many thanks for your nice words!
    For Robert: no tricks, it was a live performance of a recital dating already 6 years ago. I was a "baby" of 18 then and I'm still quite satisfied with this performance.
    :)
    have a nice day!

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Indeed, absolutely flawless performances. To play so perfectly in a concert, at such a tender age, is a great achievement ! I must confess to this being my least favourite of the Partitas, and actually one of my least favourite of all Bach works. Can't even exactly explain why, I just can't seem to get any real rapport with it. And this performance, which is light as a feather and to my mind a bit understated, does not help that. But do not take this as criticism - it is my problem, not yours.

The detached playing makes for crystalline clarity, and your ornamenation is imaginative, escpecially so in the repeats. For those who like their Bach lavishly decorated, this is it - but I find (and this is purely personal taste) it too much of a good thing in some places, especially in the repeats of the Allemande, Sarabande, and Minuet. The adding of in-between notes (which I realize is a perfectly proper period performance practice :wink: ) does make the music sound fussy - certainly, Bach is no Couperin or Rameau, and does not need this amount of embellishment to make his point. I am reminded of Ton Koopman who well knows he often overdoes his Bach ornamentation but readily admits he just can't help himself. I wonder if you would play it the same today, or you would let the music speak for itself a little bit more ?

But again, world-class playing, and great to have this on the site.

9. kjarschka

Last Name:
    Bertoglio
    First Name:
    Chiara
    Dear all,
    thanks for your nice words! Thanks for both appreciative and critical observations - I like being listened to so carefully, and I like very much the honesty and kindness with which all opinions are expressed. So thanks to everybody!

In fact I agree that probably I'd be a little freer now. Probably at that time I had two wishes that became almost overwhelming:
    1) to play very clean...
    2) to show that I had studied performance practice...

After six years with a Russian teacher, I think that now my goals are slightly different. And probably I would let Bach's music flow more like a "Bach" (=a river)...
    That is: it is always necessary to study performance practice and to play as clean as possible, but after you learnt your piece, and you studied your C. Ph. E. Bach, your Quantz, your Mattheson, your L. Mozart etc. etc. etc. you have to forget all that and to play with your full heart and soul.
    So... you know, after Chiara 2001, this is Chiara 2007. We'll see about Chiara 2013....
    :-D
    all the best!!!!

10. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    What in heaven do you need a teacher for :?: :roll: :lol:

But it strikes me that the Russian School has little concern with authentic period-performance Bach playing. I have a Russian teacher too and find her Bach a touch too romantic and emphatic. But bone-dry authentic playing is no good either. The truth, as usual, must be found somewhere in the middle.