Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach Partita 6

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by felipesarro, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Back to this...
    And you know, this sort of commentary on baroque playing tends to make see red a bit. Because who is to say what Bach would do with a modern piano? I understand that it's a horrible idea to try to drown Bach music in pedal, for instance, because he wrote it without the consideration that the notes might be running together. There is a lot of scalar passage-work that just doesn't go well with Romantic-style pedaling (I try to always practice Bach without pedal at all, and only add it in after I am very comfortable with the technique, and NOT use it as a way to 'cheat', but only to add resonance). But beyond this obvious truth...it's not like we even have recordings of baroque harpsichordists, much less any idea of what they would do with a piano. If we brought Bach back from the dead, I'd put every penny to my name on him playing his music on piano far more 'romantic' than most professional pianists.

I just find it rather ironic that we limit our expression so much in what is arguably some of the greatest music ever written.

2. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    hm...
    interesting...
    but I do not face it as a limitation at all!!
    hehe

playing Bach not-romantically can be truly inventive.
    and I agree with you regarding pedals. you know... only because Bach didn't write that for piano, it doesn't mean you should not use pedal. pedal is an essential part of piano, and I always use it. in Bach, it's only for adding ressonance, as you said (though I never hear any difference, because it's so subtle. hahaha)

I do agree it's too difficult to realize exactly what is the true Baroque style... we missed to much information from that era. but only because it's difficult and we have few information, it doesn't mean we should leave it aside and play the way we want...

I do like these challenges: fiting our playing to the style of the composer.

3. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Well, the problem is that we have no idea what Bach would have wanted for piano. The only things we really know about what he wanted are things that have to do with ornamentation and tempo, etc. I have no problem doing things exactly as Bach wanted when it comes to these things - I just have a problem with assuming what Bach wanted based on the properties of the harpsichord.