Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach/Friedman "Sheep may safely graze" from Cantat

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, May 19, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    High quality, as always, Sandro.

3. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I listened with score. :wink: Very nice played, Sandro, and it´s very inspiring for me. I think, I will learn this piece, too. You play it very musical with much sensation and very expressively (and with some rubati). I enjoyed it very much. Thank you for posting this here and giving me an imagination of how this arrangement sounds!

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well played even if I do not understand many of your interpretative decisions. But this is where tastes differ, and good that they do.
    What irritated me is this metallic ringing sound that comes with the central B flat. Anybody else hear that too, or is it just me ? I hear things like this often (also in some of my own early recordings) but it seems like nobody else does.

5. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    techneut wrote:
    I listened again, but I couldn´t hear the "ringing sound" of the B flat, but may be my capability of hearing is not the best :shock: :wink:. The sound of Sandros nice piano is generally quite clear and so some tones, which are played forte, have a bit of this "ringing", like some Steinways have, too. But this is not a bad thing, just the opposite IMO. It gives a certain brillance to the sound.

6. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I've just finished the listening, but I caught no "metallic ringing sound", either.
    Chris, maybe is your speaker or headphone too sensitive to some pitchs?? However, instead I heard some repeating noise in this recording. Perhaps from pedaling?? I donno.

I enjoyed the listening, and I wish I had more information about this piece. What is the original german title of Bach and what kind of genre the original piece is? Who is Friedman?

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hyenal wrote:
    The original title is "Schafe können sicher weiden" and it´s a cantata of Bach. Ignaz Friedman (1882-1948) is a polish pianist and composer. See this link:
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Friedman (Sorry, it´s only in german.)

8. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thanks very much, Andreas. I'm going to check the link up!! (BTW I prefer German to English :wink: )

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>
    What irritated me is this metallic ringing sound that comes with the central B flat.

Many central and high notes have a sort of particular resonances (the tuner called them "zirli").
    The tuner tell it's possible to eliminate them, but with some risks about general tone coherence.
    Thank you Chris, I pay many attention to your words (I re-recorded in these days a Prokofiev pieces after your words about bad piano tuning. Now I'm more satisfied. I'll upload here in the next days).
    All best,
    Sandro

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> Thank you for posting this here and giving me an imagination of how this arrangement sounds!

The funny thing: I (an amateur) play this version, while many pro plays the more simple and intimate Petri version. There is also a Grainger interesting version....
    Thank you and all best,
    Sandro

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>Perhaps from pedaling?? I donno.

I play here without pedal. :oops: Yessir, it's the pedal, used as my usual in a like-bike manner...

All best,
    Sandro

12. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It could well be, especially if nobody else hears it.
    On the other hand I had a similar thing with my very earlier recordings, and it disappeared when I put the Edirol further from the strings (and, I think, after a tuning). I'll try with my headphones and see if it makes a difference.

13. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    The Petri version is better known than the Friedman one, and in my opinion the former catches better the collected and gentle spirit of this Bach's Aria. Friedman's transcription is much more difficult to render since it exposes large arm movements and jumps with mostly piano and pianissimo dynamics. There's a thin line between agrestic and agricultural... wink:

Yes, Blithe Bells, more an arrangement than a transcription, a blend of piquant and very tasty harmonies, even though only for big hands.

14. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    kewl arrangement/transcription ... Grainger's scores and music always make me think he would've been a great guy to know ... a lotta fun

15. Mr Duffy

Mr Duffy New Member

i have a similar problem. do i remember well, that you are listening with your pc's speakers?
    i listen with a very cheap JBL self-powered satellite speakers "Duet", and recently i find it difficult to listen to Sandro's recordings, particularly before he tuned the piano, but also later on (take for exemple in this recording the fortissimos from 3'06 to 3'22). interestingly enough, the video he posts in youtube (the very same recordings posted here) look much more neutral, and i had the same good impression when i heard these recordings through Sandro's own hi-fi system. so eventually, i think it's a bad combination between my speakers's equalisation, Sandro's key attack and maybe the mic position...
    bye, Mr Duffy

16. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thank you Alfonso for the score picture. Just watching the score made me to hate the unknown guy named Grainger :evil: Why must one compose such pieces which exist only for the privileged-born ones?? He is really mean...

17. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica

Are you serious?:shock:

Anyway, Sandro, this is up. This melody usually brings a tear to my eye, but I did not get that feeling with this rendition. Nothing against your playing - must be the transcription. BTW - did I put this in the right place? (under Bach cantatas)

Also, again you have too much extra 'silent' time at the end of the file - this time 20 seconds.

18. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Poor Mr. Grainger! :lol:
    I uploaded just the first page to give an idea of how it looks like - I cannot put on the entire score since it is under copyright and this is a public space. If you wish to have a glance at it, please send me a PM.

19. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Yes, really serious... Sorry Monica, if my expression was too ultra and violent :oops: :oops:
    I'm practicing the second Scherzo of Chopin nowadays and as I got slightly bored at practice yesterday I look up the score of the beautiful third Scherzo from the same score book, to see whether it's playble for me. But it is definitely not playable, I thought, because of the LH chord of bar 14-16... If it was located at other spots which could be played as an arpeggio, it would be pleasing. But the ff resolute spot... simply impossible!
    After practicing the piano I saw the score of Grainger, so how couldn't I hate such mean composers!!!

20. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    :lol:

Did you try pressing both D# and F# with the thumb, as you can see here?