Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - French Suites (Completion)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jul 6, 2008.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Très bien, Monsieur Breemer. Hope you have fun on the island, in the dark, damp weather :lol:

3. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Congratulation Chris, you did another important achievement!
    I've just listened to these all eight pieces of the 6. suite. But to be honest I think you can play much better than what these recordings tells, when I compare these with the first and the third suites I heard from you. You seem here to be too careful, too cautious to bring the music in its full measure. And swallow many notes in fast pieces, too. You seem to hurry there. Also in slow Sarabande I miss your capability of singing which I know very well. Do you have any plan for rerecording? (sorry :wink:)

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the comments Hye-Jin. For once I do not quite agree with your opinion. Cautious ? Me never. It is true though that some (if not many) notes get lost in the fast movements because I like to take these at quite a lick (which not the same as hurrying, I think). I may consider redoing some of these, but I am actually pretty satisfied with the Sarabandes of all my recent suites. I don't think absolute perfection is for me to attain - there will always be things to improve.

5. tpascale

tpascale Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Congratulations on yet another complete cycle. And that's on top of both WTC books and all the Inventions. Pretty impressive. You're far enough along so you may as well finish the rest of the Bach keyboard works - we'll expect them by next Monday (or Tuesday if you have a busy weekend).

6. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I wrote "hurry" because your tempo became slightly faster on the spots you lost the notes. Sorry for having criticized the Sarabande with which you're so satisfied. :oops: One must always take a risk of encountering such case as this, when one tries to make a constructive but critical comment :wink: And I got actually the impression of cautiousness... Because everything sounded modest and lacking boldness to my ear. Maybe did you experiment with the recorder again? But it could be also my bad mood today. I've been sitting languidly at a lot of problems of my thesis for hours and don't know how to solve them.

7. sarah

sarah New Member

Mr. Breemer, congratulations on another complete set. I am also looking forward to hearing the forthcoming English Suites recordings!

Hye-Jin - I hope you are soon able to figure out a way to solve the problems with your thesis! I've obviously never worked on something of that caliber before, but with some of my more daunting schoolwork assignments I was deeply frustrated with the difficulties they presented. Definitely left me quite dejected, I'll have to say! :D

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hehe, you in a bad mood ? I do not believe you ever have one :D
    Your remarks are constructive so not need to be sorry for being critical. Good for me to get a taste of my own medicine :lol: I disagree with being cautious (if I were that I would not make quite so many mistakes) but yes, it could be these items are a bit plainly sung. Or maybe you expect a bit too much of them... These are fairly modest pieces and I did not aim for bold gestures and colours. If you listen to someone like Larrocha playing the 6th suite, her concept is not so differemt from mine. For the English Suites and Partitas I had already resolved to take a more dramatic approach to fit their more ambitious scope.

The weak spots in the fast items irritate me though, and what you say about speeding up worries me. I did not hear that when checking, but I will check again. I always take pride in keeping control of tempo so this should definitely not happen.

Yes I did change the recording setup for these, something I had not done for almost a year. Put the Edirol at the side of the grand instead if the far end, in an attempt to remove some of the bass-heaviness of my recordings. Whether it was the right thing to do, I am not quite sure yet.

Well good luck with that thesis. Maybe you should not stare at a problem for hours, but let it rest and get back to it later (if you have the time for that, of course). Sometimes problems don't seem quite as bad then.

Thanks Sarah ! I am diligently working on the first two of these already, but maybe I should first re-record some items of the last French Suite.
    But what's this 'Mr. Breemer' thing ? Keep calling me that and I will demand to know your last name as well :wink:

9. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    So far as I remember and notice, every beginning of fast pieces in yours is very nice and in a steady tempo but it develops sometimes in a slightly faster and unsteady tempo and at the same time slips are produced. (You know my english knowledge is very poor. You should take that in account when I make critical remarks :wink:)

For me personally a bass-heaviness is not a serious problem. Some people suffer from a bass-lightness, when their piano is an upright or a baby grand. If I must make a choice between them I prefer a bass-heaviness. Besides, from your new position no stereo effect (I mean, right: treble, left: bass) can be resulted. It sounds then - theoretically- flat. Is that the reason of my unsatisfiedness? :roll:

Thanks Sarah and Chris for this lovely encouragement and the wise advice! :D Actually I think the difficulties in interpreting music and that in interpreting philosophical things are sometimes very similar. In these days I've been preparing a presentation of my paper in an international congress - but in fact it takes place in my country which I'll visit after 2 and half years - and I found problems in my thesis from this process, because the theme of my paper is inseparably connected with this thesis. And you know what? I've been writing it for 3 years... omg.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sure, I will take everything you say with a big dose of salt from now on :p
    But I will check if can recognize that pattern, and then, fight it.

A very good point indeed, and stupid that I had not considered the stereo effect. I will accordingly move back to my original position, where it should be better. Thanks for pointing that out :D
    However your unsatisfiedness (nice word btw, much better than dissatisfaction) is probably caused by the playing. If you have time, please sample suites 4 and 5 which I also recorded this way, and tell me if they are equally flawed.

Nobody said it would be easy.....
    Will you be a professor in philosopy eventually ? Or what else one can do after earning a degree like that ?

11. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Very good as usual Chris! And after many years I have listened to your recordings, I am still amazed how you continue to complete cycle by cycle in the tempo you do. You have also raised the quality by time and I hardly ever hear a wrong key or even an inaudible key these days. Fantastic!

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah thanks for that Robert. :D Yes things are getting better, but still, when the going gets tough, accidents will happen. Damn frustrating it is. Seems like the better I get, the less satisfied I am. It's probably the way it should be :(

13. sarah

sarah New Member

Well... :oops: That's the way I typically address people that are older than me (I am still a really young squirt of twenty years), but I'll address you any way that you would like.

By the way, you probably don't want to know my last name. It's one of those German toughies, although finally Americanized by the elimination of the umlaut and z, that those wonderful forefathers passed down to us and that no one on this green earth can seem to spell correctly. :wink: I suppose it could be worse, though. :lol:

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    So am I. At heart, at least. I just look older :lol:

15. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Sarah, I'm really curious what your last name is! Whatever your name may be, you probably don't know the funny things I experience in Germany in everyday life, though. I'm addressed here often as Mr. Lee (on the phone or in a letter), they confuse my first name with my last name, even my professor and my esteemed piano teacher seem to be never interested in my first name, which is really sad :( :( Maybe they are frightened by the spelling of it and are thinking they could never master the pronunciation.

16. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    You're welcome, Chris :D
    Certainly! I'll check the other suites, too. (Actually I'd like to hear all new recordings from you, but because of the low speed of my internet access I must select what to hear. And you often produce a large amount of recordings at once :wink:)
    Btw it seems that I'm the only person who mentions a critical opinion about these recordings :?
    The last question is very familiar to me :wink: All what one can do with that is teaching or working as reseacher in institutes. As a 13-years-old girl I strongly wanted to become a musician. And my parents were against my wish. So far this is the same story as those one which can be easily found in the bios of amatures on PS :lol: . But I chose aesthetics in college which seemed to deal with music among the many kind of arts and at that time my father failed to persuade me into studying law or economics. Now I think I should have obeyed him. Because I want to earn money for my own Steinway grand and for a big house which has enough space for it :wink:

17. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes... I should not be doing that because especially the suite 6 was not ready for recording however much I thought it was. There are indeed a lot of missing notes as you said. I'll need to redo it.

You are certainly more critical than most people here :wink:
    But I can well imagine that people grow tired of my endless submissions and/or do not have time to listen to it all, let alone to write critical feedback. It would be naive to expect otherwise. I should cut down but I have so many projects...

Neither of which are likely to make you roll in dough.... Yes maybe you should have chosen law or economics, and you could have been a hotshot career woman with no time for marriage or music :roll:

18. hyenal

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Chris, I've just listened to Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 of the beautiful fourth suite and I'd like to say: "Bravo!" I still prefer the earlier recording sound (the bass is too weak to my ear :wink: ), but the performance itself is much more lively, vividly, refreshing than that of the 6th suite. I could hardly find missing notes and this fact is good because this makes an audience to concentrate more comfortably on the music and interpretation. A good job!

Well, the lawyer is regarded as the best job in Korea, because they earn pretty much money. And you're right. I'm grateful to be able to study the philosophy in Germany, not because I've met a wonderful philosophy professor here - even though he is a world-renowned, he is not so kind :( ) but because I've met a wonderful piano teacher and I'm allowed to practice on a good grand (I've never had a grand for practice before, not to mention a Steinway). And I've found my husband in a Hegel seminar, too 8)

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks ! Makes me feel a bit better... I had indeed prepared suites 4 and 5 better than 6.

Hehe, a marriage Made in Heaven :wink:
    I do not think you could be a lawyer anyway. You're much too honest for that.

20. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    French Suites

I haven't finished listening to all of these Suites yet, but congratulations on completing them. That's quiet a task even though parts of them may not be very difficult. I've only learned the first two myself, but these posts make me want to continue really learning more.

The Gigue of No. 5 sounds very good, and it's definitely not easy. In fact I totally agree with Robert that these are very strong performances. Your piano sounds perfect for these pieces. I believe you are improving all of the time. Keep up the good work.