Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - English suite No. 5 in E minor - End (Passepied and Gigue)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Francois de Larrard, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Dear All,
    This is the end of the suite I started to record some months ago. I like especially the Passepied, not a common form within Bach's production, with a nice inner major section contrasting with the main part. Thanks for listening and commenting !

Attached Files:

2. Chauvineau

Chauvineau Member Piano Society Artist

astronomer
    Last Name:
    Chauvineau
    First Name:
    Bertrand
    Hello François,
    this is a very beutiful and pure performance of these pièces. I really enjoyed listening to them (while not especially into Bach's music, usually ...)!
    Best, Bertrand

3. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    I really liked both of these. The Passepied is really lovely and you beautifully bring out the dance-like qualities with superb phrasing. And the polyphony in the Gigue is very clearly brought out, not an easy thing in that piece while keeping pace. First I thought you could use more dynamics in the A section, but then I understand you save the drama for the B section - very effective!

4. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Dear Bertrand, Dear Joachim,
    Many thanks for your kind compliments. I always fail to reach a zero-defect recording for any composer, but some are more forgiving than others. Bach is terrible in this matter, since there are few indications (only the notes, actually), but they are all equally and utmostly necessary. But maybe my enthusiasm may help the listener to skip these otherwise iritating flaws... With such two qualified auditors, I feel then allowed to upload these pieces (a task I am supposed to be able to perform).
    My internet connection is currently very bad, but I will manage to make some administrator work when I am back home in early september, including for your mavellous pieces, Bertrand.
    All the best,

5. Vladimir Oppenheim

Vladimir Oppenheim Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Concert Pianist, Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Oppenheim
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Youtube:
    https://soundcloud.com/vladimiroppenheim
    Hello Francois,

A very good & interesting performance. This is a difficult piece of music to play, but your interpretation captures the very style of this music; its articulated, often a non legato playing gives the music clarity and continuity at the same time. I also liked the fact that you didn't go after more artificial effects like excessive pedalling or exaggerated dynamic ranges.

Best,
    Vladimir

6. Francois de Larrard

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Thank you Vladimir ! Hence the freedom margin is quite small in Bach, between mechanical non-expressive playing and too expressionist romantic one. I try to stay in-between...