Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - English suite No. 5 in E minor - Allemande, Courante, Sarabande

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Francois de Larrard, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello Folks,
    Please find attached three more pieces of the suite. Two are still missing, but I am working on them, and I am planning to submit them by one month or so. Thanks for your feedback,

Attached Files:

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    To Allemande: a very romantic agogic (large tempo differences), some small slips, the c-sharp in the soprano in the fourth bar of the second part is missing (the first time).
    To Courrante: the dotted rhythm should partly be realized more consequently. Apart from that it´s a quite nice rendition.
    Sarabande: that´s a nice performance with some inspiring non legato. But in the third bar of the second half it´s c-sharp in the bass, you play c natural (the first time, the second time it´s correct). Here you try to play the repeat more piano than the first time. That´s a good idea.
    I would like to encourage you more to think of differences between the first time and the repeat of a part. There are much possibilities (dynamic, articulation, additional embellishments, agogic, octaves etc.).

So I´m curious on the last movement (Passpied).

3. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Thanks Andreas. Sorry for the few wrong notes... Regarding the repeats, sometimes I like to play them differently, sometimes not. When you listen recordings by great pianists, there are many cases where the second time sounds quite like the first. Actually, even if it would be the same section pasted in the recording, the effect for the listener would be different because he has just listened the first one, so that he is ready to pay attention to other parts of the piece (like secondary voices, e.g.). Which is most important I think is to play this music with rigorness but also with freedom and a certain sense of improvisation. It is at least my ideal... Recently we had on Arte TV Alexandre Tharaud playing the Goldberg variations (could you watch him ? See my post in the 'Pianists' forum). This was close to my ideal... Regards,

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Well, there are different opinions concerning the presentation of repeats. I like to bring some change also in a improvisatory sense. If I will find some time, I will see your post in the Pianists forum.