Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - Contrapunctus I (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Mar 24, 2010.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Since last week I am the proud owner of a Sony Cybershot digital camera, my employer's reward for 20 years of service (they obviously have money to burn :p ). After having shelled out for a memory card, camera case and tripod, I was now able to produce my first crummy video, which is however better that the last attempt with my daughter's camera. Comments welcome. I think I could zoom in a bit, and maybe it's better done in daylight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhOcvodG_ww

2. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Really nice, Chris. And calm. I enjoyed watching.
    If I may express an opinion, I would say avoid the daylight. Keep the lighting as it is. It creates a moody atmosphere. And yes, you could zoom in but then I wouldn't be able to see these beautiful decorations on your wall and my personal favourite (I haven't been able to build one for myself), the library full of scores, behind you.

3. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Hi Chris,

I just wondered what's going on at PianoSociety (haven't stopped by in a while, sigh) and now I see this first video of yours. Congratulations! The playing is good as always and I like seeing people while they play. I think the camera is absolutely fine the way it is, I would not zoom in further - it's good to see you playing in your nice room!

Cheers,
    Tobias

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks guys. Yes it's a nice room isn't it. You can understand why I like to sit there and play !

Haha, a moody atmosphere. That would go with my character :lol:
    I'll still experiment with zooming and lighthing though. Some hand closeups could be nice too.

5. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    That was a very enjoyable recording. I too rather liked the lighting.

Also, besides the beautiful playing, you did that page turn exquisitly. How nice that Bach freed up your L.H. right at that moment. :wink:

Scott

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Indeed so :D It seems to me that the Henle editors do take that into consideration as often a pageturn is possible without any disruption. Could just be coincidence though.

7. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris,
    bravo for your second video! I have left a comment on YouTube. It´s indeed much better than you first one. The picture-quality is good IMO. The sound also ins´t bad, did you use your Edirol-sound-track or is it the sound-track of your camera?
    BTW, which modell of Sony Cybershot do you have exactly?
    I would like to give you some tips. Avoid the page-turn (even it is made silently, but it doesn´t look well) by making a cut.
    You just have to change the angle of the camera for the second page. Do you remember like I have done it, when we made our videos of the Slavonic Dances? The sound-track you put as a "continuum" under the video. I would suggest to record with your Edirol and to put the sound-track below the video-track.
    These are my only suggestions for improving the quality of your videos. It doesn´t play any role, if you record in the evening or with daylight. If you look at my videos, you see many of them recorded in the evening and the picture-quality isn´t better than in your one. The main-thing is for a piano-video is the good sound-quality IMO.
    I will listen to your new WTC-recordings now...

8. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Chris, I was very impressed by all the harmony between the beautiful atmosphere of your room, the beautiful music and your calm page turning :D
    And also I think that the editors of good editions consider that thing.

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    So I see, thanks ! However I will have to remove that account, with the name cbr9999, because I created it without realizing I already had an account (cbreemer). Two accounts with videos and comments is a pain. Would you re-post your comment when I've reposted the video ?

It's a DSC-W220 with 12.1 megapixels. Not a spiffing machine, but it will do for me.
    I used the Edirol soundtrack, processed in the usual way. The sound of the camera is loud and clear, but tinny.

Yes, you have a point. But I'm lazy and I don't like to get up, change the camera, and resume playing, if I don't have to. Besides, some people here liked my page turn :p

Thank you ! Indeed, I am Happy as a Clam in my nice room :D

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    techneut wrote:
    Of course, I will do that.

I think, it´s a decent modell, the DSC W220. The sound-quality of the Edirol-track is o.k., of course.

So you do it like the politicians, you hold it with the taste of the majority... :x

I didn´t know, that clams can be happy. I only know, when they land into a soup, they probably feel not too happy. Btw, do you write "Happy" with large letter at the beginning, because you are very happy? :lol:

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  12. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Okidoki, I have posted a comment at the new place. :)

13. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Bravo, Chris! Wonderfully played with great intellect and emotional control. I like your music room very much and your early attempt video. The lighting gives the impression that we're looking at an artist's painting. The intensity of light focuses the eye on the keyboard, and everything else fades away from there. The colors are muted to not create any distractions, other than maintaining the attention to the keyboard area. BTW, what a wonderful collection of music! Now I see why no wrong note can go unnoticed on PS?! :p

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks George ! That artistic impression is more by chance than anything else.

There's more music yet in the cupboard.... It's not as if I have played all of it though. A fifth would probably be optimistic. Still, I've been around places and know a lot of stuff.