DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 825

Bach, Cage, Solti

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by pianolady, Sep 5, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Today is J.C. Bach's birthday, as well as John Cage's. I had to laugh because my radio station announced that it didn't have time to play all of Cage's 4'33 and instead played only a few seconds of it, which meant a few seconds of nothing. (Must have been a joke) Then they switched to a nice JCB oboe and string quartet that was really lovely. It's also the anniversary of Sir Georg Solti's death today. He is (was) (still is) 'big' in Chicago, having conducted 999 performances with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    999 performances? His legs must be very tired, not to mention the increase chance of spider and vericose veins....ewwww :lol:

Our local classical station (106.9FM) is no longer playing classical, instead they are playing "smooth jazz" (quite frankly it reminds me of the sound of vomit into a toliet). I wrote a heated letter to the station explaining that the current music sounds like crap, and in my opinion is not even music, it's noise! I also said that they did a great harm to the classical community, since now XM radio is required to have classical music! Bah humbug!

-jg

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ever tried www.radioio.com ? They have very interesting things on all day, alternating early and new classical music and anything in between. One may not like everything but there's never a dull moment (apart from the obnoxious commenrcials in between :x )

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
  5. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    AOL:
    nathanscoleman
    first, eeewww .... second, i miss that sound :lol: haha!

we have a National Public Radio station here ... and when not frantically fundraising, they play exactly 5 hours a day of classical music!!! jazz, news, blues, etc. the rest of the time ... i don't even listen to Performance Today on radio anymore ... They have a nice website and easy to listen whenever i want.