DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Bach - BWV 864 - WTC I Prelude and Fugue No.19 in A major

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Dec 23, 2012.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Chirs, this is admirable playing, especially in the context of all that you've done. I tip my hat to you. Merry Christmas.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thank you Eddy. I've been practicing this pair (and 3 more to follow soon) so long and diligently that I'm almost fed up with them. It will be time to move on. This fugue is not perfect alas, there are a couple is missed notes in the LH runs.

4. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    I had a listen to this pair. I enjoyed hearing them 8) The fugue does sound quite challenging particularly the stretto sections where the music sounds more and more dense. I think at 3:27 in the LH run is the note(s) you missed? It didn't take away from the performance, I think to play the fugue at the speed you did is pretty incredible, some of the runs remind me of the one piece I could never seem to nail :x , Hasche Mann by Schumann of Kindereszen. Bach's WTC is quite a taskmaster, maybe this is why so few pianists chose to tackle the entire book or book(s) as it were. Good luck as you continue your quest to finish the WTC I :)

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, I'll need that :)
    I think there are 2 or even 3 missed notes, but I dare not listen back for fear of being disappointed. These LH runs are very tricky indeed, it seems sometimes impossible to get a comfortable fingering.

6. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

I've played these and no, they don't sit very well under the hand. I found the Prelude to be more difficult than the Fugue actually, in terms of creating a workable fingering.

These recordings aren't flawless but they are very good, and in fact my favorite moment was one with a few technical issues -- that passage that starts in B minor with all the 16ths and circles back around toward the theme in A major -- it had a wonderful exciting energy and spirit, even if it may have been partially due to frustration!

By "completion of the WTC" do you mean that you are trying to create a complete recording of the WTC on pianosociety?

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thank you Heather. I was not quite frustrated with these but they sure took a long time to practice and set down, and it was time to leave well enough alone and move on. I work hard to achieve perfection but the last ounce often eludes me.
    I actually had a complete WTC on this site and was at the time very proud of it. In hindsight, they were pretty awful in every respect so I started anew. Only 4 more pairs from each book to go now. I fear I'll be once again dissatisfied with this cycle, and may have to start all over yet again.....

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

Your's is an impressive rendition of this P & F. The prelude seems nearly as complicated as the fugue. It has three voices, thus triple counterpoint. Leave it to Bach. I can see why it takes considerable time to get these up to your standard. I enjoyed listening. Fine playing!

David

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David ! They're not as clean as I'd wanted them to be, but nor bad either.

10. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Very enjoyable, Chris.
    I must have missed these when they were posted around Christmas. I decided to forego following by score (hate to admit I don't know where my WTC is) and just take a tone-bath.

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Stu. Lost your WTC ... ??? Barbarian :roll:

12. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Hi Chris, I enjoyed your recording! I don't know this pair well, but thought just from listening 'How complicated it sounds!'
    Seeing you being slightly disappointed reminds me of my playing the Bach-Rachmaninoff Violin Partita, which I practiced so long time and ended in unclean recordings (you know that I don't have much experience with hard polyphony pieces :roll: ).

13. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    To the prelude:
    nice flow, for my taste a bit too hectical here and there (f.ex. in bar 14). Some voicing of the theme would be nice, f.ex. in the bass in bar 17. Apart from this a nice recording, seems flawless to me, but I haven´t looked for that too exactly.

To the fugue:
    I´m missing some voicing here. The runs in bar 26 and 30 are too "swimmy" because of some too much pedal here and there. From bar 26 the runs become also a bit too hectical, they sound a bit "interrupted" respective uneven, may be the reason for that is the articulation. (You often take two notes in a bow). In bar 36 the e in the bass at the end is missing. In bar 41 the f sharp in the tenor is missing. In bar 48 the f sharp in the bass is missing. In bar 50 the f sharp in the bass is missing. (Seems you don´t like the f sharp in that piece here! But may be there still is hope, that you´ll accept it. :lol: :wink: ) In bar 53 it´s (exceptionally :wink: ) the d, which is missing.

Apart from these things a nice recording!

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Andreas. I already acknowledged there are some missing notes on the fugue, those LH runs are just so damn hard at the speed I choose to take. I know, not an excuse....

15. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris,
    not an excuse, may be, but reverse you could reduce the tempo (at least for practising and also for the end version). At a slower tempo the prelude would sound better IMHO and also the fugue can carry a slower tempo (though I have to admit it´s a blight and joyful one, which sounds good in a faster tempo). I don´t remember the tempo I have choosen then for my recording, but I think I will relisten to it.
    I would encourage you to do a re-recording, at least of the fugue.