Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach - BWV 846 - Prelude

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Didier, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    I am not able now to propose some rare piece unlike some of you do so well. Can this one, despite being so well known, be of some interest to you ?

Bach - BWV 846 - Prelude

2. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Dear Didier .I love the way you played this Bach prelude! At the expense of being immodest, I must flatter myself by saying thet i play it very much lik you do!
    Raymond

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Prelude

I love this Prelude even though it is often heard. To me it is almost sacred---so simple, yet so profound. Perhaps that makes no sense to some of you, but....

You played it very nicely. I enjoyed listening.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nice playing, relaxed and calm. It makes me want to re-think my own rather impatient take on this ethereal prelude. I have only two small reservations:

1) At 1:51 there seems to be either an unfortunate slip or a bad edit (I suspect the latter).
    2) Especially in the beginning, I think the low pedal-point bass notes are a bit over-prominent.

But, a very good recording, and a pleasure to listen to. You think you can record the fugue as well ? These days we prefer to have the P&F pairs in one track.

5. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    I am happy that you appreciated this recording. I did also. :)

I use to play this prelude as the last piece before going to sleep. I recorded it in a single run. The only edit is the one required to transform a M-S recording in a stereo one. Indeed, this is my first recording with the M-S method. I used my new microphone got from e-bay for the S channel. But I realized after the recording that I oriented the figure-eight directivity pattern along the rear-front axis instead of the left-right axis as specified in the M-S method. This new unconventional method seems working not so bad. Well, my sound engineering skills may be still poorer than my piano ones. :wink:

Techneut, how did you get this so accurate listening capability ? :shock:
    I acknowledge something unnormally sharp at 1mn51s. I think that it is a fault in my play: final note of the arpeggio too loud and too fast pedal change?
    I checked on the original 'M-S' file, which can be downloaded from here (2 x 44.1 kHz x 24 bits, 38 MB ...): there is a sharp waveform change on the M channel, the left one in a sound file editor, at 1mn51.1241s.
    About the too loud first notes of the arpeggios, it is my deliberate choice. I only regret not sustaining equally this option up to the end.

Recording the fugue ? I would have to learn it first...
    Any new piece is a long work for me. So I made such an effort only for some pieces that I love much.
    But I understand very well your requirement for coupling the prelude and the fugue and accept well this lonesome prelude be not put up on the site. :cry:

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The lonesome prelude is on the site :D
    It's certainly no less good than the versions we already have.

7. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you Chris ! :D
    Since I am aware about it, this accident at 1'51" appears now to me very strong. I made a minor edit to remove it. May I suggest that you put this modified recording instead of the original one ?

By the way, I have a question about the recording policy. I am not satisfied with my previous recordings of the Chopin's nocturne and the Schubert's moment musical. I would like to work again these pieces in the intent of submitting an (hopefully) improved recording. May I do that ?

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ok no problem. I have replaced it. There's still a little hickup but less intrusive thatn before.
    It's always a good thing to listen carefully before submitting, and doing any edits that may be necessary.

As for re-recording, that is ok but please do not overdo it. If you submit something and within a week discover you can't live with it, you should not have submitted it. Only submit something that you can live with for, say, half a year. I regularly record things but not afdter quite a long time when they had a chance to really mature.

9. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    I recorded this prelude again. The sound of the first recording was not well focused because of my mistake with the microphones. There is a a sneeze, not so loud, at 1'50''. I added a bit of cathedral reverberation which makes the sneeze more natural like in a public performance. :wink:

Bach - Prelude in C major, BWV 846

10. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    First of all, gesundheit! :lol:

Seriously, (sort of) good job sneezing and not missing a beat.

Ok, back to business - I have replaced this. The sound is very good, and I have only one tiny, little thing to comment on. For about the first minute and 15 seconds, it seems like the two left-hand notes are louder than the rest of the phrase. Maybe it's just me - and nobody else will hear it like that. The balance was better after 1'15'' though.

11. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you, Monica.:)

No, fortunately it was not me. :D

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I must be going deaf - I could not hear that sneeze at 1:50 whatever I tried :D

Anyway, a beautiful performance, and great sound. Indeed the two first bass notes seem a bit prominent (except in the middle where you play the second note softer) but it does not sound in any way bad. Now get the move on with that fugue :wink:

13. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    You cannot because the second version is the same like the first one. I do not know whether it is my mistake or the one from Monica.
    Here what I recorded on last night. :wink:

14. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    A very interesting and so nicely and beautifully played version. The interesting aspect is IMO the more or less accent on each first bass note. You do it consequently, that´s good IMO, and this idea is an individual aspect of your interpretation. The dynamics are also interesting, because you do in the whole play only a few of it, except one place: you do a well prepared cresc. to bar 28 and then you make a decresc. So you underline the tension of the dim. dominant-sept-accord with the organ-point under it especially at this place. The last three bars played with pedal sound unusual for me personally, but you do it really very well, so I like it. (My only quite minor critic is, that there are some places, the fluency of the 16th could be a little more eve.)
    Very good recording quality. (If you like, you can compare with my last recordings, which are with the my new Neumanns KM 184.) I think, somehow your record-quality is still better than mine.
    So, IMO a great, little, interesting record, played by a very good pianist with a very musical and sensitive touch!

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Still did not hear the sneeze, dammit :lol: I give up.

Maybe the latest version wins on points, but I think the first one was just as fine, except perhaps for these accented second notes.

16. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The sneeze is at exactly 1'53".

And Didier, are you saying that the version I replaced last night is not the same as this? I hear the sneeze on the link that is over on the main site, I hear it on the link I made last night, and I hear it on this new attachment, so I think I've got your latest version up here. However, I've had problems replacing files before, so it could have happened again. You didn't happen to sneeze on your first version too, did you? :lol:

But now I'm wondering if your new 'sneeze' version is only on my computer. Chris usually has good ears and if he can't hear it, then maybe the file was not replaced. Hmmm...

17. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Thank you Andreas for your so kind appreciation. I had already listened to your Bach recordings. They are so good that I felt not myself skilled enough for giving a valuable comment. Moreover I am not so much familiar with the mucic from Bach. ( :oops: Nobody's perfect.)

I do not think that my sound woud be better than your one. Your one is more natural, giving the feeling that we are invited at your home for your piano performance. You room seems to sound good. What is the ceiling height ? Did you perform some equalization for removing LF resonances ? Anyway the spectrum of the recording that I analysed is fine. Where do you put your mikes ? I have just a complaint about the recording level being too high. We should not have to change the gain of our amplifier so that to get a sound level suited to the music we are listening : this tuning is a part of the recording task. A Bach prelude should not be recorded as loud as Mazeppa. :wink:

My sound is a little bit bigger than life. I am not fully happy with it but I do not have much hope for improving it because of the limitation from my room acoustics.

Chris, if you cannot ear the sneeze at 1'53" - 1'54", you should have a check of your ears or change your earphones or accept the aging process of you earing capability. :lol:
    I agree that this secoond version does not differ significantly from the first one. But for me, it sounds better. 8)

18. Didier

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Sorry Monica, our posts have crossed.
    I just checked the recording that you put up on the site. It is the sneeze one. :) So it's OK. But the recording associated to my post on this night is the one posted on last year and also attached to the first post.

19. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Don't you blame it on my ears ! You'll just have to sneeze more clearly :lol:

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, either I am confused, which is normal, or now it's my ears that are off, because I hear the sneeze on this latest attachment too, which I thought is your first version. But don't bother explaining it to me. I'm just glad to know that the file was correctly replaced.

btw - what should we do with this attachment? Do you want it left up here, or can we delete it?