Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Bach-Brahms - Chaconne, study for the left hand

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Brahms' Study no.5 is Bach's mighty Chaconne, transcribed for the left hand alone. There are some slips and inconsistent tempi, and I think I'll need another go at it - but hopefully I am on the right way with this. Makes a change from Busoni's pimped-up version :) Comments appreciated.

Brahms - Study No.5 (Bach Chaconne, for the left hand) ( 16:51 )

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Thanks for sharing, I'm sure we can trust you that this is played with one hand only :lol:

Is this recording one continous recording or did you stop-either by error or some other distrubance-and then edit it? I ask because 16 minutes with "some slips" is pretty good.

I don't know if that made sense, I hope it did.

Cheers,
    -jg

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    There's a fair number of cuts in here, which I am not proud of. A non-stop recording would likely have to allow more slips though.

4. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I don't know about the cuts, sure is you forgot to suture one. There's a big open wound, oozing blood at 14'13''. :lol:

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh bugger ... I intended to do a final check but forgot to do it. Some emergency surgery in order tonight, awaiting a proper re-recording.
    On the bright side I guess the other cuts are not intrusive/audible. Thought Monica will surely tell me different.

6. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    It's a pity we don't have a blooper section on PS. You stopped, then started again from a few bars back, repeating a passage several times. A beautiful moment. :lol:

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I am glad you enjoyed my recording.

8. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Sorry Chris, I didn't mean to be rude (but you know me...). I do have some remarks (and I'll make them if you want me to), but you cannot get so easily offended if you don't even re-listen to what you submit. So, if it's not a big problem for you posting stuff which is not double checked, why should it be for others to find some mild fun in it? Take it easy, you fix the edit and life goes on.

9. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The good news is that one cut is the only one I noticed. There are a couple fumbles here and there and I could get specific with those, but you probably already know.

I am confused about the way you named the file: I thought we were going with the transcriber's name first followed by the original composer.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That's good, thanks. I'm aware of the foibles of course, and also (now) of the missed cut. I guess the way to get feedback on musical aspects would be to have neither edits or wrong notes :wink:

I was mighty confused about it too, and in fact can't remember what we decided. Checked the site for similar files (Bach/Busoni Chaconne) and thought I did the right thing. Dammit, I hate transcriptions.

11. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I thought it was always:

Composer / Transcriber

:?: :idea:

12. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I love this piece (but... is there someone who doesn't, except Monica who doesn't like Bach and needs some psychotherapy? :lol: )

About the performance, this is the way it should sound IMO. In my opinion, any recording of the chaconne should never take less than 15 minutes. Once I listened to a performance of it lasting 10 minutes! :shock:

I do intend to record the chaconna transcribed by Siloti. But... you know... I can't focus, and my mood is always changing...

PS: the reasons why I decided to play the Siloti transcription are three:

1) I love this piece;
    2) I'd like to play it but I don't play the violin, and I didn't have the score of Brahms at that time;
    2) Busoni's transcription would give me too much work... hehehe.

So... Siloti! :lol:

13. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    No. The general decision was transcriber/composer. I remember that because this discussion happened when I submitted two Brahms' hungarian dances, which now are in the Moskowski section. :D

I can remember that Chris also chose to decide it per case.

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have sewn up that cut, fwiw. Thanks Alf for pointing that out. Rather embarrassing as the gap could even be seen in the waveform. Is what you get for massive editing late at night.

As for the name, that remains confusing. We have a version of the Busoni transcription, called:

busoni-chaconne-gan.mp3

Worse, we have bach-siloti as well as siloti-bach files on the site. Aarrrrgghhhhh.... I think I'll go random on this, can't go wrong with that.

15. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    I admire your patience and dedication if nothing else, Chris. Left hand only?
    Very narrative and with a sense of creative loneliness. It reminded me of Bach for solo cello which I love to listen to.

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Pantelis. Yes, left hand only, as the title says. Although I suppose a video should be in order to prove it. But I don't have a camcorder, and it would much complicate the editing. For sure, it would have sounded a lot smoother with two hands :wink:

17. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

Exactly, whatever feels right at the moment is the right way of doing it. Let the viewers sort it out for themselves. Shame on them if they can't figure out that a file as "Liszt-Bach" is not a Liszt piece transcribed by Bach. :wink:

18. sarah

sarah New Member

A lovely piece, with a definite Brahmesian flavor that I find appealing. As to your performance, it's quite convincing IMHO, although I'm glad to hear that you plan to spend a bit more time with it. You previously noted some of the problems that caught my attention, so I won't bother with repeating them. I did like your voicing, which was quite excellent throughout the piece - and, in my experience at least, that's no easy task. I had RH surgery some time ago and worked on LH pieces for several months, but the voicing problem proved to be a difficulty that almost ate my sack lunch on a couple of occasions. :wink: I suppose you used a lot of pedal in this piece - at least considerably more than if you were playing strictly Bach.

Thanks for the opportunity to listen to this! It proves that unforunate events can sometimes yield pleasant results. :D

19. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    With no video, we never know.
    I myself ask my sister to play some notes for me when my two hands can't do the work by themselves. It always works!
    (just kidding... :roll: )

20. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Sarah ! It is said that voicing in LH pieces is easier than usual, as the strong thumb often has the top melody. I think this would have been much harder had it been written for the RH alone.
    This great piece deserves a better recording (and one with less cuts) so I'll keep working on it for a while. Yes I use ample pedal, probably too much in places where I need to mask insufficient fluidity, but the piece can stand it - somehow it can sound like Brahms as as well as like Bach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.