Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Avguste Antonov: April 2009 University of Miami Recital

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by avguste, Jul 22, 2009.

1. avguste

avguste Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

concert pianist,piano teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Antanov
    First Name:
    Avguste
    Greetings all

As you may recall,this past April I performed a recital at the University of Miami-Florida,which included 2 world premieres.
    After many month of waiting,I have began receiving the mp3 files of the recital and I am posting them here.
    ---

To any admin,
    I would like to respectfully request for you to add the composer to the database,along with her bio.
    I would like to also respectfully request for you to add those recordings to both profiles(my profile and the composer profile)

Thank you
    -----

Composer:Raina Murnak. Her full bio can be found at http://129.171.228.57/fmi/xsl/Faculty/o ... aina&-find

Raina Murnak wrote "Le Mystere D'Attraction" for me. It is a 3 movement composition.
    The program notes for the composition can be found below:

" Le Mystere D’Attraction was a piece composed for pianist Avguste Antonov in 2008. It is a three movement work for solo piano exploring the dynamics of a love affair. In the first seductive movement, “Passion Reveille!”, love is new and full of mystery and bravado and eventually calms to a more gentle caress. “Fleur de Lis” is the musical female and her slow unfolding into love. The last movement, “Une Liason Dormant”, occurs after the affair has ended but lives in the space where love can be reawakened at any moment, by a touch or reminiscent song, with passion so powerful and memory so strong. It is a work intended to be played with much feeling and heart."

----

I will post the 2nd world premiere next week

Murnak - Le mystere d'attraction - 1st mov't.
    Murnak - Le mystere d'attraction - 2nd mov't.
    Murnak - Le mystere d'attraction - 3rd mov't.

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Having heard some of Ms. Murnak's vocal doodlings on YouTube, this is about what could be expected. Nothing here convinces me that she is a piano composer of any importance. The second movement has some mildly attractive moments, but overall she has no idea where she's going. The final movement is downright clumsy and ugly. The ponderous program notes about love and passion don't help at all. The playing is good without being especially subtle or convincing. It must be flattering if someone writes a piece for you, but otherwise I don't quite understand why a classical piano would bother with this.

As far as I am concerned, this can go in the _Various page.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, this is up in the Various composers category.

And sorry, but I agree with Chris about the composition. While I do not think it is 'ugly' per see, it does not really do anything for me, either. The second movement is probably the better part. But the first movement is too long by half, I think, and I got nothing at all out of the third movement. It's not bad music at all, just not that great.

4. avguste

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Antanov
    First Name:
    Avguste
    Thanks for the comments.

In my opinion,any piano composition is worth performing.
    Personally, I am very much a dedicated performer of 20 and 21st century music(currently mostly american composers) and I am lucky to know many of the composers I perform.

5. avguste

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Antanov
    First Name:
    Avguste
    During the recital at the University of Miami, in addition of the 2 world premieres,I performed 3 other pieces of American composers:

"American Nocturne" written by Dana Suesse
    Dana Suesse bio can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Suesse
    ------------------
    "Ballade" written by Matthew Lewis

The bio of Matthew Lewis is

Born in 1979,Matthew Lewis began studying music between the ages of 5 and a half to 6 years old. While growing up, he performed in several piano competitons as well as a few compostition competitions. At the age of 17, he recieved second place in a Texas state composition competition.

At the time,he did not think this to be a big deal until he found out that he had been competing against a large number of other pieces and he realized that he had not recieved any compositional training as of yet. This is when Matthew Lewis realized that it might be a good idea to major in composition. He learned of Ouachita Baptist University from a former piano teacher who obtained a job there. Under her advice, he entered the Ouachita Baptist University in the fall of 1999 as a composition major under Dr. Patrick Houlihan. In 2005 he received the degree from Ouachita and since then has been working as a pianist and arranger at various churches.

Currently Matthew Lewis teaches piano and some composition at the Master's Touch School of Music in Grapevine, Tx where he met the concert pianist Avguste Antonov.
    Matthew Lewis lives with his amazing wife in North Richland Hills.

The program notes for the composition are:

" The idea for Ballade came from several things all at once; I needed a solo piano piece for my senior composition recital; My former piano teacher lived nearby and said she would perform a piece in my recital.The last influence was that I wanted to experiment with 2 different keys( C major and cmin) at the same time while retaining several traditional aspects, such as a strong tonal center and not so much dissonance as to annoy the listener. However, I also had to meet the requirements of the composition department which says that modern music should sound... well... modern. I have always preferred the romantic era myself, so I tried to duplicate that feel while incorporating aspects that assure the listener this was composed today. Those aspects include changing meter and dissonances that can be rather harsh, but tend to resolve in a traditional fashion. The form is more or less an ABA' with the tension building throughout the B section until it climaxes and we hear only a brief return of A at the end."

Mr Matthew Lewis is currently writing a piano piece for me,with the world premiere scheduled for this fall.
    ------------
    "Upstate Rag" written by Carter Pann.
    If I recall,this piece is already on the Piano Society database,but posting anyway for comments

Carter Pann is one of the most versatile talents among composers of his generation. His music has been performed around the world by ensembles and soloists including the London Symphony, City of Birmingham Symphony, Seattle Symph., Budapest Symph., Irish National Symph., New York and Chicago Youth Symphonies; the Radio Symphonies of Berlin, Stockholm, and Finland; the National Repertory Orchestra; Richard Stoltzman, the Ying Quartet, pianists Barry Snyder and Winston Choi, and the Antares Ensemble.
    Honors include the K. Serocki Competition for his Piano Concerto (premiered by the Polish Radio Symphony in Lutoslawski Hall, Warsaw 1998), a Charles Ives Scholarship from the Academy of Arts and Letters, and five ASCAP awards including the Leo Kaplan award. In 2000 his Piano Concerto was nominated for a Grammy Award.
    In the last decade, SLALOM has been performed extensively by American and European orchestras.
    Carter Pann is currently on faculty at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

"THE UPSTATE RAG(2005) was written for pianist Rob Auler at SUNY Oswego.
    Rob performed an entire concert of my music at that time and had organized a new commission for a small
    piano piece to be added into the program. I had traveled to the small town of Lake Ontario in upstate New York
    to attend the performance and rehearsals of my music. It was such a nice chance meeting with my old friend from the
    University of Michigan. I have known Rob a long time as a wonderful pianist interested in performing works “off the
    beaten path”. This particular rag was originally inspired by the fist apartment I had rented in Ann Arbor(1994-1996),
    while working towards my Master's Degree in Composition under William Bolcom and William Albright"
    [/b]

Pann - Upstate Rag ( 06:04 )
    Lewis - Ballade ( 05:44 )
    Suesse - American Nocturne ( 05:21 )

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Is this Upstate Rag to replace the previous one ?

7. avguste

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Antanov
    First Name:
    Avguste
    yes please.
    And of course any comments are more than welcome and appreciated.
    If anyone would like to compare both recordings of the Upstate, please feel free to do so :)

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I wasn't going to, it's yours to say which is the best. I don't like the piece much anyway.
    The other two pieces are good though. Dana Suesse is a real find... seems she was dubbed 'Girl Gershwin' in the 1930's. The piece by Lewis starts very promising, his use of modal tonalities reminding me strongly of Tveitt. A shame that later on he resolts to some grand but perfunctory gestures, as if suddenly thinking 'Oh yeah, this was supposed to be a Ballade wasn't it'. I though I heard some slips on that part too. All the same, a good piece, and well played, as is the Suesse. I'll put both up in the Various page.

9. avguste

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Antanov
    First Name:
    Avguste
    Well,actually I was thinking about this.
    Would it be possible to have both Upstate posted, with the recording date for each?

Thanks for the comments about Suesse and Lewis.
    The score for Suesse was given to me by my grandma who is also a pianist.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nope, sorry, we can't do that. It's been asked before, but we stick to our guns.

I was wondering about that. There don't seem to be any Suesse scores on the web as far as I can see.

11. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are up on the site. Please check.