Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

At Last

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Sep 29, 2006.

1. johnmar78

johnmar78 New Member Piano Society Artist

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I wish I could devote to music full time. Might even be able to play a piece without errors then. But sadly, there is a day-time job that needs to be done pay the bills. I took a day off for this session which had been planned and prepared for a long time. Yep I am an avid sight reader, never made an effort to memorize. Should perhaps focus on less pieces but there is so much I want to do.... I am like the proverbial child in the candy shop.

Hehe yes, it would be pretty hard to miss them :lol: They are getting less in number and severity though. Mind you I seldom chastize people for slips, unless they are too numerous to accept. I like to point out reading mistakes and would be interested to hear about the ones that I make.

I use the Edirol R1's built-in mics which are decent but not as sensitive as 'real' mics. Especially in this session a lot of soft notes are inaudible even though I played'em right and proper. A bit annoying really as it makes the playing sound more insecure than it is. Guess I need to fiddle with the position one again, perhaps put it a bit higher up.

3. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Chris, your microphone position??/ I always check for the frequcy spec of the microphone regardless of the brand.
    Can you tell me about your one why its so popular??

I have choosen sony one, its quite good with my lid closed and my microphone is on my rh side next to me-on the telephone desk. With the lid open its too lound and too much hazzle to walk around to switch the recorder on(sorry its a low tec no remote control yet0

In the past in my teachings and musical colleques, i found that people with great sight reader often are not good in memeotising scores. This happened even to my own kids. So as myself.....not a good sight reader but rather memorising. My female colleque, she is a faster reader by all means. But SHE can not memorise at all....weird ehhh. Do you have the same experience with people you met.

Only very few people have both....DNY you think?

Meanwhile still mastering op53 section by section.........

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have now put the Edirol on the opposite (from me) side of the grand, about 1 metre from the far end, on a bench about 30-40 cm high, and kept the lid open. Now it operates from beneath the rim of the grand so perhaps if I raise it above that height it might be better. Will give it that a try. Yeah, must walk around to operate it but hell, otherwise I wold not even get up from the piano bench for all afternoon :wink:

Why the Edirol is popular around here ? I guess it must be the ease of use. Any audio idiot like me can push the 'Record' button and start to play. And you can take it anywhere you go. I have no clue about the freq specs really... but it sounds sort of good enough for me, and apparently for others on this forum too. I can understand the real audiophiles sniffing at it though.

The old sight-reading vs. memorize debate... I guess there are pros and cons with both approaches. Memorizing would not be practical for me as I have far too much going on at any time. Would have a problem even deciding what to memorize and what not... The advantage is that I do not need to look at my hands too much unless there are large jumps. That frees the eyes to keep in touch with the score, which is something that not always happens when playing from memory. Apart from the occasional audible pageturn (I cut them out if I can) I am pretty sure it is not apparent from the performances that it's being played from score, and does not give the impression of frantically searching for the next note. As Robert remarked earlier, I know these pieces very well even if I can't be bothered memorize all the niggly details.

5. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    ok, Chris

I have a quick listen to your bach, op59 mazurka, and some of liapov mazurkas...

forget abou the slips...If I am not wrong, your heart is for Bach.
    With the mazurka,,,for some reason the LH bass seems to be to loud? would that to do with the Microphone you placed..eg slight towards to the LH of the grand??? The Liaov mazurka was BETTER balanced. What sort of grand is that? DO you want me to tune yours for free? It sounds quite hollow.>>.forgive me for saying that.

Well done. I hope you didnot used up all that emotional energy for ALL that recordings....

eg I placed my microphone slight toward my RH shoulder.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It sure is. But no less for the other composers being played here. Seems like Bach just comes off best usually.

Yes this instrument is a little bass heavy. May be not a bad idea to put the edirol a bit away from tha bass strings.

It is an old (ca.1920-1930) Gaveau. It had just been tuned that very morning and I was very pleased with the result of that. But, if you want to come over from Australia every now and then for a free tuning, I would sure appreciate that :wink:

7. johnmar78

Food chemist / pianist
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Mar
    First Name:
    John
    Piano

xxxxxxx i thought you from australia or nearby... i did a lots for friends piano for free. except for my students. You never know if i do visit US(am i right?), I might give it a go.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Re: Piano

No I am from Holland. But if you ever pass by, feel free to drop in :lol:
    Have to say though I am pretty satisfied with my tuner, even if he isn't free.