DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Arrangement from Bellini's Il Pirata

Discussion in 'Composing' started by andrew, Nov 30, 2014.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
  2. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Enjoyed this Andrew, thanks for posting. Sounds nice to me, even if it isn't the theatre version, scored for strings and soprano. Played right, the RH can sing just as much as a talented singer. All that is missing is the words, and nobody comes here to Pianosociety for song recordings :p

3. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I plan on using it in the future - there's a relative paucity of effective slower opera transcriptions.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This could almost be a Nocturne by Field ! Now there's a back-handed compliment if ever there was one ;-)

I don't care much for Bellini'e melodies but this is probably my loss. Chopin was so fond of Bellini that there must be something in this music.
    You treated the aria respectfully and lovingly, resisting the temptation to make it into a glittering show piece. I find your playing rather subdued here, maybe it is the recording and/or piano partly to blame for it. It also seems you are using a bit too much pedal in places but I could be wrong. Anyway
    this will be a nice addition for your next CD, providing some repose and introspection amidst all the fireworks.

5. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks - somehow smothering it in arpeggios, octaves and thirds seemed a little rude! Thalberg's Casta diva setting was probably a bit of a role model for the style. I agree that the playing is a little too introspective in places (although the introduction, which is orchestra only, I fully intend to be more subdued than the soprano part). Around 1.46 and in the parallel passage shortly after I think I need to change it to a portato touch to be closer to the orchestral original. I don't think I have many unintentional blurs in the pedalling but this aspect does need to be thought about and clarified. Indeed, I'm hoping it will be a useful contrast to more flamboyant repertoire!

6. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    You are a great talent as an improviser. Very musical and expressive. Marvelous!