DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Aria from Goldberg Variations

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by echoyjeff222, Jan 3, 2017.

1. echoyjeff222

echoyjeff222 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hi all, sorry for the long absence - I finished my first semester at school and came home for the holidays, when I finally had time to practice and finish learning this piece that I picked up at the beginning of the semester but really never had time to practice at school.

A short backstory:

I'll probably never forget this piece, since it will probably be the last piece I ever play for my piano teacher. I came back and found out that she's currently in an assisted care facility, and she's suffering from Alzheimer's. I went and visited her several times over break and had a chance to play on a clanky old piano in the room, and it was incredible to see her light up again and get right back into "teaching" mode. But I think the next time I come back, months from now, she may not even recognize me. It's been a bit tough for me, but I know that I'll always cherish the love of music that she instilled in me. So, this piece is dedicated to her.

If you'd like to share a similar story regarding your past teachers as well, I would appreciate hearing them.

I played this piece at quite a slow tempo, mostly to evoke a meditative quality to the piece, which I felt appropriate given the backstory. I have a video as well, but my facial expressions are pretty tense and horrible looking, LOL.

Thanks, everyone.

Attached Files: