Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Another Orgelbüchlein item

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Dec 10, 2006.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    After listening to both versions several times I still prefer the reverberated version. The version without reverb is perhaps a little clearer, but not much, and I seem to hear the bass notes better in the reverberated version (that could be wishful thinking though...) Most important, without the reverb I miss that special church atmosphere that I like, it sounds too much like a cabinet organ. So I think I'll keep using the reverb for recordings made here. But I must really concentrate even harder on very clearly articulated and detached playing to keep things as transparent as possible.

2. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    According to the picture I have seen from your organ (manual in the middle, pipes on both side) it should be possible to record with less amount of reverb I think if you put it in the middle?

I listened yesterday to a professional recording of the Orgelbuechlein pieces, and on this piece it sounded to me like the usage of principal + kind of a lingual register for pedal. Even with reverb it sounded more transparent.

With that amount of reverb you have, you would almost need to play staccato all the time to recognize single notes (at least with mixture register). The combination mixture + additional reverb + fast notes does not sound too well in my opinion. Also, the pedal sound could come out more, the mixture overshadows it. But it's your decision.