DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,015
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Ann Southam

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by AndyLeeG4, Aug 21, 2011.

1. AndyLeeG4

AndyLeeG4 New Member

Instructor, Regis University; Recording Artist, Ir
    Home Page:
    Thought I'd drop by and make a plug for Ann Southam's music. She's a Canadian composer that passed away last year and her piano music is really quite stunning. Sometimes she employs a mixture of twelve-tone and minimalism, like in Simple Lines of Enquiry (http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Lines-of-Enquiry/dp/B002CR1FDA), and others it's a beautiful, sort of postminimalist style like in Glass Houses Revisited (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TTY-ybM3rQ). You can order and even borrow a lot of her scores through the Canadian Music Centre (http://www.musiccentre.ca/apps/index.cfm?fuseaction=composer.FA_dsp_biography&authpeopleid=435&by=S), and if you register on the site you can listen to TONS of archival recordings. Edit: I should also add that everyone I've dealt with at the CMC has gone out of their way to be helpful. There are some great people working there, and no, I get nothing in promoting their organization.

Yes, I'm biased as I just completed a recording project of her music, but I really do think more people should be looking into her scores. Pieces that I'd recommend, in addition to those mentioned are:
    Soundings for a New Piano
    Qualities of Consonance
    Rivers (3 sets)
    Soundstill

Most of these are hand-engraved, but once I got used to her handwriting, I found I preferred those scores to the computer-engraved ones.

Enjoy!

2. StephenC

StephenC New Member

I'm sure I have heard some of her scores a while back and her piano music is really something. Ann Southam’s piano music was so beautiful and Eve Egoyan’s interpretation so lovely, that when I heard it plays, I just want to lose myself and simply enjoy.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    StephenC, are you continuously searching for old topics to bump ? In most forums, this is considered Not Done. Do you never feel like posting in a recent thread ?

Having said that, it's good that someone comments here, even if it took a while. I had not heard of Ann Southam before, and clearly missed the original post. She sounds like an important composer and Andy Lee does a marvellous job here as always.

4. StephenC

StephenC New Member

I really don't intend to search old topic to bump, it's just that I can't relate to new or recent topics and I don't have anything to offer for me to create a new thread. Apologies then.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not a problem. I was just wondering.