DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

Ang - Stuk

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi

This is the first time I post something in the Audition Room. In the attached file you'll hear my composition "Stuk", which is recorded live during a concert.

Greetings
    f.ang

2. lol_nl

lol_nl New Member

I enjoyed your performance and composition very much. In my ears it sounds very mysterious (especially in the begin), and a combination between comtemporary style and late-romantic style. I like the way you built up around 1:55 to a kind of climax at around 2:15. The end was beautiful as well. The only thing is that it sounds rather unclear (the notes) sometimes, but maybe that's just the recording.

Good job!

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    As a composition, it does not quite convince (but I am no composer so what do I know :wink: ). It is an atmospheric piece though, with quite some interesting sonorities and real pianistical moments. A shame it sounds from so far away, the massive hiss is really distracting and tents to blur your generally good fingerwork.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the reactions!

Lol, I never intended to write in the style of contemporary and late-romantic music, but it could be that I'm influenced indirectly by it: I really love the music of medtner and scriabin, but keith jarrett is also one of my heros. I'm glad you like the piece.

Techneut, I understand your criticism: the bass notes and the chords aren't very original (or should I even say: overplayed :wink: ). You must know that this piece was actually an instruction of my improvisation piano teacher: I had to search for colors in very simple chords, so I would learn to create an athmosphere without changing chords 2 times a measure (for a reason I don't know, I like to do that :lol: ).

PS: it sounds so far away because it's recorded 50 m from the piano...:D

Greetings
    f.ang

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah, but as an improvisation, it's pretty darn good ! There just is IMO a wide gap between an improvisation and a composition. I did not notice the chords being a bit trite - the RH figurations make it interesting. It sounds nowehere like Medtner though, nor like Scriabin...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hmm, it is something between a composition and a real improvisation. I never play it completely the same every time, but I have a certain scheme in my head ( A(1) - A'(1) - B - A'(2) - short retake of A(1) ).
    Hahaha, i also think that it doesn't sound like Medtner nor like Scriabin, but my immediate reaction to lol, who was saying that it sounded a bit late romantic, was: "Strange, never thought about that, maybe it's because I adore Medtner and Scriabin." :p

7. lol_nl

lol_nl New Member

Yeah, right, you don't have to play and compose like Scriabin or Medtner, but I can feel that you like them when I listen to your playing :lol:.

8. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=610
    Excellent. A question; did you "always improvise the same thing", or did it change drastically each time you played it? Sounds to me like the basic framework was always the same. If so, very good "planned spontanaeity". And it's just a short (but big) step from this to composition.

I can hear the Medtner influence quite clearly, the rumbling chromatic bass passages, the pentatonic passage work in the high registers, and a certain searching quality that I hear in his music, as if the music is looking for something (hard to explain). You're quite a talented improviser, hope you start to write it down, be a composer too. Or if not, just improvise! :D

I like your playing, it's very colorful and "impressionistic" yet very clear at the same time. I'd like to hear you play Prokofiev's "Vision Fugitives", for instance; you would play them very well, they fit your playing. Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow, thanks for all these complements. To be compared with Medtner is a real honour to me :D. Like you said, I play the basic framework allways the same. It's rather a difficult job to make it "a real composition", because I want it to sound a bit searching but also as a polished piece at the same time. Aargh, I wish I was as talented as Chopin or Ravel, these guys could do that so perfectly.
    Maybe it's a bit off topic, but I want to learn some other new pieces. Do you have any suggestions beside the prokofiev?