Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Andean Music for piano - URU

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi!!

Many Bolivian composers used Andean themes or motives in their music.

URU, which was composed by Victor Jimenez Garcia, is an Andean Descriptive poem, it begins with an slow poetic intro and ends with a "Huayño" (Bolivian Dance).

V.J.Garcia, who composed many folk songs for piano solo, also wrote some academic pieces, one example of these academic and more elaborated works is URU.

The recording is from my new CD of Bolivian music.

I hope you enjoy it.

Garcia - Uru

2. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Hola, Ruddy y Bienvenido!

I'd love to know some more about the composer ... I was just thinking the other day about how few Latin American composers I know and play. I enjoyed the piece a lot ... sounds like a fun piece to play.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That was a nice, lively piece! Please provide more information on the composer. I know nothing about him.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    At first this reminded me of Rzewsky's "The people united shall never be defeated" but that impression did not last long. Despite the fresh and cheerful melodies, I think this is a rather clumsy piece. Your vigorous execution (nothing but praise for that !!!) can not dispel the idea that this was not a great composer.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

About the composer

Thank you for your comments.

I post a short bio of the composer. :

Victor Jimenez Garcia was born in the small village of Toco (Cochabamba Bolivia) on July 28, 1910 in a musicians family. He took music lessons from prominent german-jewish teachers Walt Schneider and Emilio Hochmann.
    Between 1950 and 1960 he won many national compositions contests prizes, he composed in a vernacular style (folk and native music). He Composed than 230 works including Cuecas, Bailecitos, huayños, yaravies, Cacharpayas, zapateados, taquiraris, pasacalles, kaluyos or andean dances- He composed also dozens of School Hymns, Patriotic songs, Choral works, Masses and religious works, Christmas songs and Paraguayan Polkas. Many of his works where perfomed by chamber music ensambles, national and international performers. And other works were performed by the National Symphony Orchestra.

He also published his book "Memories from Chaco", when the author narrates his life in war. and deads in 1999 in Cochabamba

He was an important composer in the vernacular (folk) style, and many of his works are widely performed by the most important folk bands in the country. URU first was written for Choir. Maybe, the piano solo version is not as convincing as the first.

6. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Uru

This certainly has the style and harmony of Bolivian folk music in many places. I enjoyed hearing it. It sounds almost like a transcription of Bolivian indigenous music except for a few small parts.

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up. Please check all the links on this file and also on your other Garcia pieces. Thanks.