DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Alkan vs Chopin vs Liszt

Discussion in 'Pianists' started by YoungPianoVirtuoso, Nov 13, 2011.

1. YoungPianoVirtuoso

YoungPianoVirtuoso New Member

Each composer has their own hardest works, but I would like to see what you think.
    I think they go in this order three being the not so hard, #1 being the hardest:

3: Chopin
    2: Liszt
    1: Alkan

2. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    As I have posted elsewhere not too long ago, this order is the same as that recognized/recommended by Hans von Bulow. It should be stated that the order is true for the hardest works of each, with considerable overlap otherwise.

3. Kristinaolga

Kristinaolga New Member

I have noticed these days that Liszt’s piano-compositions are often played/interpreted very fast, hard and harsh
    whereas “older Masters” on old LP’s etc. interpret Liszt more sensitively with lots of tonality and melody.
    These contradictions are very confusing.

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Probably the reason is that so many of Liszt's pieces frequently end up becoming "conservatory anvils". The younger pianists after graduation then continue bashing them as such instead of rethinking and recasting them through more artistic playing. There is nothing like listening to the real masters from the Golden Age of Piano play these works.

David

5. Kristinaolga

Kristinaolga New Member

Thanks Rachfan. I was asking because I am a beginner on the Fortepiano on one hand
    and on the other hand I have been listening to music all my life.

I have listened to early Liszt-interpretations by Harold Bauer (1942), Moriz Rosenthal (1942),
    William Kapell (1951), Teresa Carreno (1906), Emil Sauer (1905), Ferruccio Busoni (1905),
    Lhevinne (1923-1929), Dinu Lipatti (1947), Sergei Rachmaninoff (1919) and others
    and they interpret Liszt with a wonderful tuneful elegance & ease and it is very inspiring to listen to their interpretations.
    Even when they play fast, there is no bang/bashing involved, it still sound as if “pearls drop with an ease over the keys”.

It is strange how much playing/interpreting Liszt seems to have changed over the years.

6. StephenC

StephenC New Member

I agree. It's just that each generation has its own interpretation of things that have occurred in the past, well in this part, it is how they interpret the piece of the masters back then.

7. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Well said, my friend!

YoungPianoVirtuoso, I think there is an inverse proportionality in music. Your list ranks increasing order of technical difficulty. But, musically, the order is reversed. There are many great pianists who are technically brilliant, but a few ever achieve commensurate musical prowess. Let the music do the talking, not the notes.