Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Alkan - Première nocturne Op. 22

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by felipesarro, Aug 7, 2009.

1. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    this is Alkan's most famous nocturne (in fact, the ONLY one which is played. hehe)

it took me years to start appreciating it. my favorite one had been the second one for a long time.

Alkan - Première nocturne Op. 22

2. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    Fantastic! I just heard it following the score and it's really great music, and very beautifully played.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    sounds good to me. Thanks for sharing.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Good job Felipe. Doesn't seem Alkan's best effort but it is certainly worth an outing.
    Well played though occasionally too drowned in pedal. Also some moments that feel a bit insecure, as if you are briefly groping for the right chord. Some chords in the closing bars don't sound well together but may it's written like that (I don't know this piece and did not follow with score).

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    What a nice way to start my morning. Pretty piece and nice playing, Felipe. Especially the end - beautiful! Reminded me a little of a Field Nocturne. It is up on the site.

6. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    thanks people!

you're right, Chris. there may be some insecure passages. there is also a passage where I slowed down too much because I was turning the page, and the page was resisting "being turned" hehe
    being afraid of hitting wrong notes while recording, I often play pieces in an "artificial" carefully manner, which sounds insecure. it's something I have to learn how to deal with. and I can't listen now, but I'll check the last bar chords when I get home. all I can say is that the final bars have notes that "should" be held together, but it's impossible due to the wide span.

you're right, Monica.
    quoting William Eddie:
    "The op. 22 work represents a newly expressive lyrical style in ALkan miniature writing undoubtedly inspired by the more well known example in the same key by Chopin because of similarities in melodic contour, chromatic auxiliary notes and melody resting points. Alkan's example is also influenced by John Field particularly with respect to melodic range and uninflated emotional span."