Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Alkan Preludes Op. 31 2me Suite

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by felipesarro, Aug 29, 2008.

1. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Here is the 2nd book of Alkan's preludes.

No. 10 Dans le style fugue
    No. 11 Un petit rien
    No. 12 Le temps qui n'est plus
    No. 13 J'etais endormie, mais mon coeur veillait... (Cantique des cantiques)
    No. 14 Rapidement
    No. 15 Dans le genre gothique
    No. 16 Assez lentement
    No. 17 Reve d' amour

Comments:
    No. 10 is my favorite one.
    No. 13 was Busoni's favorite (among the complet set) :lol:
    No. 12 is the most famous one.
    No. 14 has an interesting coda mixing the two themes exposed in the begining. (I tried to remove the sound of me turning the page)
    I found no. 11 difficult to play, and it was a relief when I recently read a text by Ronald Smith telling this prelude is a finger-twister. hehe

Alkan - Prelude Op. 31, No. 10
    Alkan - Prelude Op. 31, No. 11
    Alkan - Prelude Op. 31, No. 12
    Alkan - Prelude Op. 31, No. 13
    Alkan - Prelude Op. 31, No. 14
    Alkan - Prelude Op. 31, No. 15
    Alkan - Prelude Op. 31, No. 16
    Alkan - Prelude Op. 31, No. 17

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    i liked 14 out of them all

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, Felipe – these are up. Some wacky things happened as I was doing them so I'd like you to check the links.

Congratulations of completing both books. And I must say how I really liked some of these preludes – especially no. 12. It's not famous to me because I've never heard it before. But I think that one is special. Nice playing, too!

4. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    thanks, Monica!

I checked... those links for no. 14 and 16 are missing at Alkan page.

by the way... a friend of mine corrected my English, and so I have an "updated" biography now. when you have time, could you please replace it?
    thanks

The Brazilian pianist Felipe Sarro expressed his musical interest when he was a two-year-old child. At eight, he began his studies on electronic keyboard, However, he changed to piano very soon. He has studied in some institutions, such as Academia Musical Fátima and Santa Cecília Musical Conservatory; and he completed his studies with Amilcar Zani, a Brazilian pianist. He has been composing since the age of twelve, although the opportunity for learning composition and harmony came only afterwards, when he was twenty years old. His teacher at the time was the Brazilian composer Mauricio De Bonis.

His repertory includes Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Franck, Grieg, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Schubert, Schumann and Scriabin. He also likes to play neglected composers like Alkan, Catoire and Stenhammar. Among Brazilian composers, he has played Miguez, Nepomuceno and Villa-Lobos.

In 2006, he was one of the finalists at Projeto Nascente of the University of São Paulo . He played Chopin's Scherzo no 3.

5. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Hallo felipe,

Your English is very good. Just a few minor details (which, however, could be argued depending what kind of English you use--example: British-English versus Southern United States-English). Don't get me wrong, these minor details do not make your biography unreadable; the minor fixes make it sound smoother when read aloud.

-jg

p.s. Monica, Techneut, or Robert...please correct my English too :wink: and remove the brackets should you choose to use my edited version.

p.p.s I knew my degree in English would come in handy someday :roll: :lol:

The Brazilian pianist Felipe Sarro expressed his musical interest when he was a two-year-old child. At eight [years old] he began his studies on [an] electronic keyboard[.] However, he changed to [an accustic --spelling?--]piano [shortly thereafter]. He [removed 'has'] studied ['at' not 'in'] some institutions, such as Academia Musical Fátima and Santa Cecília Musical Conservatory; [remove and] he completed his studies with Amilcar Zani, a Brazilian pianist. He has been composing since the age of twelve, although the opportunity for learning composition and harmony came only afterwards [remove the comma] when he was twenty years old. His teacher at the time was the Brazilian composer Mauricio De Bonis.

His repertory includes Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Franck, Grieg, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Schubert, Schumann and Scriabin. He also likes to play neglected composers like Alkan, Catoire and Stenhammar. Among Brazilian composers, he has played Miguez, Nepomuceno and Villa-Lobos.

In 2006, he was one of the finalists at Projeto Nascente of the University of São Paulo . He played Chopin's Scherzo no 3.

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, Felipe. The links are fixed. Your biography is replaced, as well.

Good job, Julius. I changed only a couple more things. Felipe - is it ok? Also, you did not show the link to your website on the post above here, but I left it on your page. Do you still want it there?

7. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    It's ok for me. Thanks you both! :D

There is only a kind of ambiguity...
    I didn't mean I used to have an electronic keyboard to study my piano pieces and then I got an acoustic one. No.
    I meant I learned how to play this kind of instrument before playing the piano:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YPT-210-Fu ... 13&sr=1-11

It's not supposed to replace a piano, like a clavinova, for example. It's different.
    You have accompaniment styles which reproduce a pop band. With the left hand you play chords, and with the right one you play the melody.

After a year or so, my teacher told me to start taking piano lessons, and I had never heard any classical music before. It took a little time, but suddenly I got completely afictionate by the piano and classical music in general.

That's the only reason why I did not put the article "an" before "electronic keyboard". I was learning how to play THE electronic keyboard. hehehe

Does it make any sense? How should we rewrite that sentence?

Oh, yes, please! Leave it on page, hehehe.

8. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I think it got too ugly trying to "hide" the noise of page turn in no. 14 at 1'06, what do you think?

I think I have to re-record it... :?

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I think it would be better to just leave off the part about the electric keyboard and have the first sentence go like this:

The Brazilian pianist Felipe Sarro expressed a musical interest when he was two years old and began piano lessons at the age of eight.

yes? no?

10. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    yeah, it's okay to me. hehehe

This is not SO true... because I started studying piano at 9...
    but let's consider I started at 8. Electronic keyboard was a kind of "technical preparation", let's say.
    hahahaha

it's okay to me.

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I like people who laugh a lot. You're funny! Ok, I changed it again.

12. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    hahaha
    I do laugh at lot. See my picture in my page. hehehe

13. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I has just given you the 'Complete Recording' layout when I realized it's not complete yet (seems I had too much to drink over dinner :? ) Only books 1 and 2 are complete. One more book to come ? I guess I can leave it like that until you finish it.

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Very idiomatic and high-quality playing. This set is a real treasure trove ! For all his bravado, Alkan can be extremely touching and this shows mostly in his shorter pieces like these. I think I like no.16 the best. But they are all wonderful, no. 12 probably the most popular because it sounds the most like Chopin. You bring out the character of each piece very well. When completed, this cycle will be a major addition to PS.

I'd jump into the Esquisses right now if I was not already bogged down by various ongoing projects... I guess you may well get there before me.

15. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    hm...
    now that I've already got a "Complet Set" box... I think I don't need to do any effort trying to really complete the recording.
    hehe :lol:

Sure I will complete book 3. It's half finished yet. I only need to record nos. 18, 22, 23 and the terrifying 24 :roll:

I think I will record ALLELUIA as a bonus also, because it has a style "very close" to the Preludes. It is a single piece, but if Alkan had put it inside the PRELUDES set it would fit well.

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes you do, cause if you don't complete it within a month I will restore back the previous version of the box :p

Is that the Alleluia from the Esquisses ? Not sure you should lump that together with the Preludes.

BTW The terrifyfing no.24 is marked 'for piano or organ' as well :roll:

17. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Don't know what you mean...
    there is no Alleluia in Esquisses. take a look:
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp ... e=8.223352
    :wink:

I meant Alleluia Op. 25
    and sure it would be in Alkan Miscellanous at PS. (not together with the preludes)

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah sorry, was I thinking of the LAUS DEO.... Should have checked :oops:

19. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    oh, I've forgot to comment...

have you noticed that the theme of the fugue (Prelude no. 10) is almost the same of (very similar) Alkan's Concerto (1st mvt)?

:)

20. schmonz

schmonz Amitai Schleier Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schleier
    First Name:
    Amitai
    Terrific listening, thank you!