Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Alkan - Alleluia Op. 25

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by felipesarro, Sep 8, 2008.

1. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    As promised, here is Alleluia Op. 25.
    It's a minor piece, but it sounds too much like the Preludes Op. 31, for several reasons:

- those repeated notes are a recurrent feature spread along the entire set (nos. 1, 9, 14, 23, for example);
    - religious programme;
    - chordal structure which reminds no. 5.

Alkan - Alleluia Op. 25

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Nice playing, Felipe. Probably not easy to balance all those repeating notes. I bet this would sound really good on a fully-opened concert grand.

Question: Your tags are fine (except for Blues instead of Classical) but I haven't put this up yet because I need to know if this is the only piece in the Op. 25. I did a quick search but haven't found the answer. Seems that since it is so short, then it would be part of a set?

3. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    You know what...?
    My entire life (23 years! oh so much.... hahaha) I have looked for a good upright piano. This Grotrian-Steinweg has the most beautiful tone I've found, but I'd like a more "opened" sound... it is too dry, few harmonics... and not the best dynamic range :?

Oh, it's Winamp's fault! I leave this field blank all the time (All pieces I submit have this wrong tag?)

This is the only piece in the Op. 25. (don't ask me why Alkan has an entire opus number with a single 2-minute piece and then has an Op. 39 that lasts 2 hours hehehe)

take a look at Alkan's complete works catalogue:
    http://piano.francais.free.fr/alkan/03_ ... ue_en.html

In my opinion, it should be placed in Miscellaneous.

4. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Thx for continuing with the Alkan!!

This was nice, Felipe. Not as awesome, IMO as the preludes, but still interesting! good job!

5. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Thanks, Nathan!
    In fact, I myself do not find awesome even the preludes awesome. They are nice, but not Alkan's most interesting stuff. Can't be compared to his etudes Op. 35 and Op. 39, or Le Chemin de Fer, or Le Vent Op. 15/2, Grande Sonate and Sonatine, Marche Funèbre Op. 26 (Rachmaninov used to play this piece in concerts) and some pieces from the Recueil de Chants.

oh...
    the Marche Funèbre op. 26 is so beautiful... and NEVER PLAYED! :?
    I think there's only one recording (by Ronald Smith)

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No way for me to go back and check but I think so.

Anyway - this is up under Alkan - miscellaneous

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    What a strange piece. It sounded at first like some cross-over pianist (that style with repeated chords has been very popular at some stage). By far not Alkan's best work. The obsessively monotonous coda is a novelty even if I can't say I like it much. You play well but I detected some sloppiness at 0:45, 1:03 and 1:40 that could have been avoided with just a bit more tender loving care.

8. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    0:45
    Don't know what you consider sloppiness... but at this part of the piece, Alkan's writing asks to play an F, a G and an A simultanously. (the F and G are part of the harmony, and the A is the melody. but those three played together does not sound conventional.)

1:03
    At this part there are two problems: a too far G bass that I had to broke with those chords in the top main melody. It does not sound quite good... I should've done it more subtle.
    In addiction, the score asks to play D# in both hands, instead of D natural. harmonically, it's an augmented dominant, instead of a "normal" dominant. hehe

1:40
    Yes, this is a true slop. There is one wrong note there.

9. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, could be as intended. I did not follow with a score, nor do I know the piece. It sure sounds strange though. But then, this is Alkan...

10. schmonz

schmonz Amitai Schleier Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schleier
    First Name:
    Amitai
    Good old Alkan. A challenge in this piece is that if you don't keep it moving, it ain't gonna move. Mostly you do quite well in this regard, but the ending gets the better of you a little bit. About to listen to more of your Alkan -- another one of my underappreciated favorites, though not in the stratosphere with Mompou or Medtner -- and very excited about it.