Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Albeniz

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Jun 19, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, James. I get my piano tuned every three months. Summer has hit big-time for me here in the Midwest now. First day of Summer and the humidity already hits you in the face when you step outside. Florida's got nothin' on us. :wink:

All the rest of you goofballs: Ha ha ha - red nose, no longer (besides, it was white lotion) and Ole to you, too! :) Also, not all noses are pretty :wink:.

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nicely played as usual. I don't know the Mazurka so can't offer much comment except that it's not his best work. A bit repetitive. The Granada is done very well but one thing caught my ear. In bar 10 of the slow middle section you play Eb-D, this should be E-Db (at least in my score (Edition Schott). Similar spot later on you play Eb-Db.

I have toyed with idea of recording this set (Suite Espagnole), are you planning more items ?

If you play the Fete-Dieu not too bad you have my eternal admiration Francois. The 'giocoso' section leading up to the coda was descrived by Hamelin as 'two pages of pure hell'. Could be a bit tongue-in-cheek coming from him, but still... Yes the difficulties get enormous later on. Lavapies has always been my main stumble block, together with Fete-Dieu. Messiaen did exclaim once (referencing Iberia) that Albeniz was 'from the stars'.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you. The Mazurka - I know - I was pretty bored with it after only short time and put it away. Then when I got onto the Granada, I said, "What the heck, might as well stick the Mazurka up as well." He wrote more mazurkas - maybe some of the others are better? I have not looked at them yet.

Granada - I have a natural sign on that D the first time it occurs, but not the second time.

As to doing the set - I've only put my fingers on no. 2, 4, and 5. That leaves another four open. All eight pieces are very nice, but I wouldn't mind sharing the set with you. Of course, it's your prerogative if you want to do the whole set - I don't mind either way.

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah, picking out all the easy ones aren't you :wink:
    Not that Asturias is exactly easy. Bastard to get these fortissimo chords out on cue.

5. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Are you going to do them too?

I know, it reminds me of that one Granados piece (can't think of the name right now).

6. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Yes I remember this part is especially tricky. Actually, I won my virtuosity diploma in '87 with this Albeniz first book (plus some Chopin's studies and other nice promenades like Schumann's toccata). Normally during examinations you make wrong notes where you play perfectly at home. In this case, I played miraculously this 'giocoso' section, better than I never did before... We will see if I can get this chance again with the recorder.
    But for Lavapies, I had to give up even at home ! Maybe with three hands...

7. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    are you calling ME a goofball? I'm not even 1/8th the goof of Nathan, I should not be honored with the title of goofball...yet.

And yes, this heat sucks. 98 degrees with 80% humidity and no wind or clouds. I can't take any more layers off once I am in my birthday suit. I should move to Iceland or Greenland.

Like the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz once said:

I'm melting...melting...melting

:lol: