Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Albeniz

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Jun 19, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Here are a couple Albeniz pieces.

Albeniz - Mazurka Op. 96, no. 2 "Ricordatti"

Albeniz - Granada Op. 47, No. 1

I also made a video of Granada in which I inserted the Edirol audio into the video and also make three transitions points with camera angle changes. This was very hard to synch on my computer; I fooled around with this the entire day! Plus, I’m not sure, but I think the sound is wobbly again. Argh! You don’t know how aggravated I am right now!!!

Here’s the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGaeoEjz ... annel_page

2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

Very nice playing of this Albeniz piece. And with all your labors, the video and soundtrack appeared to be reasonably in synch too. Good work!

David

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, David. I had about 10 problems going on at the same time yesterday, one being this synchronizing issue. Seems every time I had things lined up properly, I would save it and then view it but it wasn't in synch anymore. Plus my internet is going on and off and I wasn't sure if the sync problem had to do with that. I'm waiting for the cable man to come this morning to fix my signal. But it could be just my dumb computer, though.

4. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    Hi, Monica!

I saw your video and I would suggest for the next time to change the "transition effect". This one seems too much as if the music stopped then started another one. I'd suggestion "dissolving" or "fade", or even no transition effect.

btw I like to see your hands playing. hehe everything so in place, no extra movements...

5. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello Monica,
    Many thanks for those two nice pieces. I admire your precision and technical control. Also your rendition of ornaments and the way you make sing the leading voice, whatever the hand... Now I am looking forward hearing you in Iberia, which seems to me - but I'm not an expert in Albeniz piano music, which is extremely abundant, if I am correct - far above in terms of musical value.

6. cmudave1125

cmudave1125 New Member

Pianist; Financial Advisor
    Home Page:
    Hi Monica!

I am going to have to explore Albeniz more. I enjoyed these performances. I especially liked the Granada between 1'08 and 3'39.

Thanks!

7. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    I liked both pieces, Monica, perhaps I lean a little more towards the Mazurka. Clear and simple. Your style and touch with these are your strongest points.

Now, I don't usually nitpick but since noone else has mentioned ... you have an unedited cut at 1:19 together with some ugly talk, I'm afraid.

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh Pantelis. Thank you for telling me that! (and sorry you had to hear it :oops: ). I never swear (much) but seems like words like that just fly out my mouth when I'm recording. Plus, I've had a very hectic week and forgot to come back to this file. I even forgot to put up my own recordings! Thank you for listening. (I've fixed the file)

And thanks also to you Dave, Francois, and Felipe.

Francois - The musical value may be higher in Iberia, but I like these simpler and easy-going pieces just as much. Also, I doubt I could play anything from Iberia. :(

Felipe you 'hands' guy! Actually, I guess we all are 'hands' guys (girls) around here. Next time I video record, I'll try out that technique you showed me from that one woman. I'll have to lift my hands up high and fly around a little between phrases. :lol:

And thanks for the transitions advice. That was so hard to do here. I had the audio in sync with the video, but then when I added the transition effect, it was not in sync anymore. Then I tried adding the effects first (before the audio) but that didn't work either. So this video is the best one I got.

9. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    yeah, I know about it.
    so it's easier with no transition at all. hehe besides... Windows Movie Maker's transitions last 2 seconds... it's too much.

see this video... there is no transition at 1'25. it does not seem bad...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vS5mgC-tU

PS: oh! a 8-year-old kid playing Op. 25 no. 11... can't believe. I think I must quit the piano and sell coconuts at the beach!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUBNCUoakw

10. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo, Monica, both pieces seem very well played to me. Your recordings really have splendid quality! And I enjoy them very much.
    The transition at 3:20 has a little break. Perhaps here you could have connected the two ends of the cut better. On the other hand this isn´t bothering in any way, I think. The transitions and the choose of the camera angles are very good, also the sound-quality is alright.
    If you look at my videos you see many transition-effects. In programs like Pinnacle or Adobe Premiere you will not have any problem with them. (They don´t have any influence on the synchronisation here.) May be this problem is only with Windows Movie Maker?
    I had also some trouble. I have my new computer back again, but without the graphic-card, which has to be repaired. But I´m glad that at least I´m able again to watch and comment videos on youtube, which wasn´t possible with my old Windows-98-computer.
    And I found nearly 10 comments to several of my videos like this one:
    "You play very well but you're an asshole and a freak." all by a youtube-user named "homerboy488". Plus an insulting and only negative critic to my Chopin-Scherzo by seijra, which I don´t want to publish here, but he posed it only on my youtube-channel, not in my thread here on PS.
    Now you know, why it´s a good thing to activate the option "allow comments only with approbation" for the youtube-channel. I haven´t approved all these comments, of course, and I have blocked both users, because I think, I don´t have to acquiese in such stupid and unpolite comments.
    (BTW, I don´t know both, they are living in other countries and I never had to do with them. Strange to receive such "nice" comments, isn´t it?)
    I tell this only to show what can happen to one on youtube, if one is only offering nice piano-videos for free and invests much work in them. :evil:
    But I don´t want to go too much out of topic: I think, only a better video-editing-program will allow you use transition-effects without problems. Keep up the good work (and try out more different camera-angles, it was still a very good begin).
    My next project will be to video-record all the pieces I´ll play in my little recital in summer just in one take. I´m practising for this now.

11. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    sure, but these other programs are difficult to use... :roll:
    hehe

yeah... but then you didn't approve my comment where I was guessing those two "things" on your piano are a Pokémon and a Digimon.
    :lol:

12. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Well, it is true that most pieces in Iberia are quite acrobatic... I used to play the first book not too bad. Years after I tried to play the third one, and the difficulties were growing very much since the last piece for which I had to give up after months of struggle ! However, from the beautiful renditions you've done for PS, I'm sure you can certainly provide excellent interpretation of at least Evocacion and El Puerto from book one, which are really great compositions (not small nice things, which certainly deserve interest, but top pieces in the piano repertoire IMO). Sorry to insist; it is just because you wrote somewhere on the site that you were at the same time fond of Spanish music and not too admirative about Albeniz, a man who was always said by my professors as the No. 1 of Spanish piano composers...

13. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Felipesarro wrote:
    I´m sorry, but I haven´t received any comment of you! Of course, I would have approved it and its very nice of you. (It´s not the first time, someone says, he has written a comment to one of my videos, but it did not come through somehow. I´m quite sure these must be technical problems on youtube or so. Would you mind to write it again?)
    So, in every case thank you for your comment. :D BTW, the two little things are just a little blue fish and a little white mouse, which are just toys of my two cats I have at home. Not a Pokémon and a Digimon. :wink:

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yeah - that's not bad. I may have to skip the effects next time.

And don't get me started on those Asian whiz-kids. I've had enough of them! (sorry - that's probably a bit harsh, but I don't care)

Thank you, Andreas.

You're probably right about the transition effects being a problem in Windows Movie Maker. It really was quite a struggle and next video I make, I will most likely not even put them in and just do like what Felipe said. Regarding camera angle changes - I don't have a lot of options with that because of the way my room is configured. I suppose I can try zeroing in on my hands or maybe my nose next time. haha

And that is awful about those Youtube comments. There are jerks everywhere! (I'm very surprised about the seijra thing! ) I'll have to keep an eye on my own channel too.

That's ok, I like when someone insists. You're right - I do love Spanish music. I'm playing a lot of Granados's music, which I adore. I just haven't gotten into Albeniz' music as of late, but I think now I will. Hearing you say things like this is just what I need to get me jump-started, so thanks Francois. And btw - meanwhile, let's hear you play some Albeniz :).

15. camaysar

camaysar New Member

Musician
    Hi Monica,

Granada is the best playing you've done here, to my ears. Albeniz utilises the tenor register beautifully, and you bring the melody out very well. You must have a very good piano that you keep well in tune. Many here are probably jealous of that! (It's time for the warm weather tuning here!)

Anyway, you should play more of this music - it seems to suit you.

16. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    hahaha
    yeah, but she is not really Asian... her name is Anna Larsen, and she seems to live in New York. (if she was really Asian -- born there --, her name would probably be something like "Sushi sashimi" :lol: )

17. Francois de Larrard

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Sure I will. I intend to rebuild Iberia 1st book, but I need some months for that !

18. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Transition effects are not the most important thing IMO, the main-thing is, that there are different camera-angles with each page-turn (cut) and that the cuts are well done. And zeroing is also a nice and interesting change. (Especially since noses are at least as beautiful as hands. :lol: )

19. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
  20. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    will it be your red nose with suntan lotion?
    if so, my vote is yes.