Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Albeniz: Tango from España (Op. 165 No. 2)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by AdrienneM, Feb 14, 2011.

1. AdrienneM

AdrienneM New Member

Independent Piano Teacher
    Home Page:
    I have a student learning that for a competition . . . on piano! :) Guitar styles have been represented in keyboard works forever -- I love to find examples in the music of Bach and Scarlatti. I get really excited about it, and my students look at me like I have three eyeballs, ha-ha!

2. AdrienneM

AdrienneM New Member

Home Page:
    Thanks, Andrew. I agree with you about the echoes. It just sounds manufactured to me (as it is!) -- I'll need more time to learn how to edit for reverb.

3. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Maybe it might be an idea to post a 4-hand version and see what happens! :twisted:

4. AdrienneM

AdrienneM New Member

Home Page:
    Richard ~ Ha! That would not be so good . . . :lol:

5. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    You might be interested in hearing this transcription. I think it's superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MajxyjWrlPM

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, first version is up. Regarding my job - it is a huge change for me too :!: :!:

7. jim_24601

jim_24601 New Member

I got a terrible shock at the end of that recording. Not through any fault of yours, Adrienne, except that your name happens to sort right before Aerosmith in my computer's music collection. I was not expecting a sudden blast of hard rock after such a nice piano piece. :shock:

Good playing, there. Albeniz isn't a composer I'm very familiar with, but I have had an idea I ought to learn more about him. If you'll allow an uninformed opinion, I tend to agree with Chris. It doesn't strike me as a piece that wants a lot of blood and thunder or sentimentality. I thought your approach was very tasteful.

8. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hi Adrienne,
    Very nice rendition indeed ! I find much emotion in your tango, but hidden behind nobility and a very iberian pride, which is I think the good attitude with this music. As for the sound, I took the original version and made a very slight mastering, with more loud range and a very discrete reverb. What do you think of it ? I won't be upset if you stick to yours (among the two first, I prefer the one without reverb)...
    Looking forward to listening more Albeniz by you ! Regards,

9. AdrienneM

AdrienneM New Member

Home Page:
    Hello François! Thank you very much for the remastered version. I definitely like it better than the second version I posted with the reverb. I think I'll just keep the original version on the site, though. Think there is something about the dynamics and the mic setup that is creating too much echo effect in the louder middle section when reverb is added, and the dampers seem to thunk a bit -- maybe my piano is especially noisy, ha-ha! Not sure if these things are avoidable/fixable in edit (I know next to nothing about editing music files).

Just started playing these pieces from España a few weeks ago. I really enjoy them, and would like to record the rest of the suite. Hope to get back to that here very shortly! :D