Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Albeniz - España

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Apr 25, 2009.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This a nice set. I've only played the Tango. I like no. 5 a lot. I'll have to get the music to that sometime.

I only have the score for the Tango, so this is the only nitpicking I can do. Most of it is fine, but I'm not crazy about some of your phrasing. You tend to break the line often, specifically when going from bar 5 to 6, going from 19 to 20, 32 to 33, 33 to 34, bar 44. It's sounds almost like little hiccups. You did that with the mazurkas too at times.

Also, I didn't hear a molto rit. at bar 32, or a hold on the rest at 57. The rest of it is fine.

The only other thing I noticed was on no. 3 - your ascending harmonics around 2:00 were uneven, and some of the turns or triplets weren't clean. But just a few of them. The rest is fine.

Overall, nice playing! I never heard your first recordings of these, but they mostly all sounded very good to me. And while I like Albeniz' music, I'm finding that I don't like him as much as I like Granados. But then again, I have not gotten into Albeniz' music as much as I have with Granados' so that could change. (probably not, though)

3. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    This shows how much Monica cares for you... 8)

I must say I never heard these pieces before. I would buy Albeniz complete piano music (some CDs in Brillian Classic) long ago... but I can't remeber why I quit.

I liked them and I enjoyed your playing. You play the begining of no. 1 very good, very "Spanishly".
    I would play no. 2 Tango much smoother and with a little "swing", but I'm not trustable regarding how a habanera-tango would better sound in a piano... :roll:

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

First, congrats for playing this set. I'm not too familiar with these pieces, but they seem well played to me. I have another Albeniz set here, "Iberia", but it continues to reside in my music cabinet--probably due to my SMP (Spanish Music Phobia) :lol:. I agree with Monica that Granados appeals more. I thought about it a bit and I believe it's because Albeniz seemed to hear a guitar in his mind when he composed; by contrast Granados seemed to hear a full orchestra. So while Albeniz's style seems spare, thin in texture, and a little stiff or at least understated, Granados' style is very full, colorful, lush and fluid by contrast. Just my opinion, with which not everyone will agree.

In listening to the pieces here, I thought about the "Tango" and your playing of it. My sense is that you probably play it too literally. By the inherent nature of the tango as a dance, I think it needs to sound more romantic, risque, salacious. You know--girl with the jet black hair, red dress, stemmed red rose clenched in her teeth, etc. :lol: More visualization would allow the piece to take on more a life of its own. But that's just my opinion.

David

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  6. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

The Tango--very, very nice! Your second version here has a better sweep to it. The interplay between the treble and bass parts is more artfully played too, and the phrasing and nuances give it more romantic flair than before. I definitely feel that there is much more expressiveness here now. Good work!

David

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The Tango is a little better, but still a couple phrasing errors. Less than before, though. In this take there is a new one at bar 9. Then I didn't hear a rolled chord at bar 17. Next, comes a break in the phrase at bar 32 going into 33. I think that one really needs to be there - you can't leave the end of the phrase to be the G (that last note of bar 32). After that, you missed the mordent/trill at bar 58.

The no. 3 is better now.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oooh.. Mrs. Hard-to-please :lol:
    I guess I'll need to have yet another go at this one then ! I though it was at least note perfect, but maybe not even that, I'll have to check. Strange that such a guileless little salon piece can be so hard to get right.

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    ok, sorry. Perhaps I am being too picky. I'll stop, now.

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hell no, one can't be too critical :lol:
    This is such a popular and well-known piece that it had better be perfect, or as close to as I can get it. I'll check up on the things you mentioned. It worries me that I should have missed an arpeggio and a trill.

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's why I said what I said. It's almost there now and if you correct the remaining few items it will be perfect.

And yes - sometimes I am hard to please :!:

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Whoooa. The official Seal of Approval :p We should have an icon for that.

Seriously now, we must have different editions (I have the Dover Iberia+Espana). I have no rolled chord in bar 17 and no trill in bar 58. As for phrasing, I don't hear anything wrong in bar 9. The RH chords are staccato here, and I take just a little extra time for them. Lastly I don't see the issue between bars 32 and 33 (the last note of bar 32 is not a G either ....). So while I'm open to all suggestions, I don't quite know what to change here ! The only thing that annoys me in this take is the audible page turn at 1:48 (I thought you'd pick on that one). So maybe I'll redo it yet, and maybe I can put in yet more burning passion. Although I really believe the 'eroticizing' of the Tango is from a later date, maybe brought on by Piazzola, and this one should maybe charming rather than overtly sensual.

13. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

Yes, as I say, I think you've already injected enough romance with a bit of the risque into this second recording of the Tango. Any more might make it obscene. And golly gee, we don't want to have to rate it XXXX, as this is a family website! :lol: Good job in my opinion.

David

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'll make you one when you have earned it. :p

Ok, don't worry. It is simply a difference in editions (if you look at the copy on IMSLP you will see what I mean - I have the same score) although I could swear that you played that mordent/trill on your fisrt version.

And of course I heard that page turn. I hear everyone's, but don't comment on them all the time.

Piazzolo - now I'm lost. How did he get in here, and why do you want to add more passion to this piece?

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David ! Yes it sounds a little more unbuttoned now, and maybe that is just enough.

No chance. I don't play ornaments not in the score, except sometimes in Bach.

I was thinking of David's initial comment that a Tango should be salacious bordering on the obscene, and was wondering if I'd done enough in that direction. It seems I did now. Otherwise we should get Nathan to record it :p

Now if it wasnt for that damned page turn (which I thought I did quietly, but seems like not) I could leave this one alone now.....

16. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Just listened to these, Chris ... and I found them very enjoyable. Loved the malaguena in particular (great articulation) but all seemed very good. The tango I did NOT find particularly sexy (surprise, surprise), but that wasn't your fault ... it's Isaac's.

17. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks. Tango must be pretty boring if it didn't arouse you :p

18. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    hehe... maybe I just wasnt' in the mood

19. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    1: nice, a piece of a meditative character, I like it.
    2: nicely played, I could hear a page-turn. :wink:
    3: very good. Eventually you could be more consequent with the staccato here and there.
    4: properly played, here the same concering the staccato.
    5: very good.
    6: Somehow I had no score of this, only of no. 1-5, but it sounds very nice to me.

So, that´s a good job all in all! Keep up the good work.

20. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes shame about that page turn as it is the only real blemish. I think I'll redo the Tango for it.
    Agree with your point on nos. 3 and 4 - consistent staccato is not my forte. Maybe I'll retake these too.