DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Albeniz Cataluna (Curranda) Op.47 #2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by arensky, Sep 12, 2006.

1. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    From a recital about two months ago. A bad slip at 1:01 :roll: and the final scale gets scrambled but this performance is not too bad at all imo. Piano is a Baldwin 5' 10" grand mfd. circa 1980, the same piano as in my recordings of Gnossienne 3, Granada and Scarlatti K.380. The piano just had an extensive overhaul with a full regulation and the hammers filed. Quite an improvement, it sounds like a completely different instrument I think.

Comments and criticism welcomed...

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Another good one ! Lovingly played, and with Spanish temperament where needed. Interesting you observe the repeat, I've never done that. Or is it written out in your score ?

The couple of slips you mention are not very distracting, you can blame them on your enthousiasm ;-) Only thing that stands out a bit are the LH 16th notes in the middle section, they don't sound all too secure, and a bit lumbering.

Now for the unavoidable review of the reading mistakes :wink:
    In the crescendo dotted triplet leading up to the forte (bars 30 and 62) you persistently muck up the LH, and in fact I think all 4 times are slightly differently done. IN bars 71-74, the LH has a E flat, not an E. I have to admit though that the E does not sound at all bad, and in fact seems to add some extra spice and contrast here. Could even be your score has a E natural ? Mine is the Edition Schott.

But all minor details, which won't keep anyone from enjoying your performance. Sound is good too, the mellow sound of an older intrument. I'll put it up the site asap, my Internet connection seems a bit more snappy today - fingers crossed.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Better than I can do. I could not hear the mistakes which Mr. Breemer mentioned. To me it sounds all nice. The only things I can pick out from any recording (or performance) are 1)nervous shakey hands, 2)blanent mistakes. I cant hear that you played an E instead of a Eb. Just goes to show you how musically gifted I am :x :?

4. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    I find the LH 16ths to be very difficult, and yes there's an element of blur to it, but I thought this came out pretty well, if not completely accurate then musical. The alternative was to slow everything else down, which I didn't think was the right thing to do. So I bulled through it.

Bars 30 and 62 seem OK to me (just checked everything), I might have left the moving voice in the RH out in one of them, can't really tell.

AHHH :shock: I DO play E not Eb! :oops:

I practiced Eb, how strange; that's the sort of physical memory thing you remember, a black key or a white one; jeez, it was hot in there ( packed church, many windows, 100 F in the desert) so I must have spaced that. You're right though, it does add spice :wink: .

Who knows, I may come backto it for a re-record some day....

I took the repeat to make it longer, it's too short otherwise, and I tried to play it differently the second time and maybe that's why some detals are different. I took a "popular song" approach to this one that seems to be successful. I may treat the rest of these pieces the same way.

5. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    Thanks juuf! :D

Breemer, he hears everything, has hearing like a dog a does. :lol:

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That could be so, but there's definitely a mistake in the LH, I think you play a A instead of B, or leave it out altogether. Maybe check again ?

7. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    In the third one of these the LH is either absent or inaudible. The others are OK, as far as I can hear.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Whaaa, that is the nicest thing anybody ever said about me :D
    I have put it up the site.
    About bars 30 and 62, I wonder if your score differs from mine if you don't see a mistake.
    According to mine, that dotted LH triplet goes B-C#-D and I think you start on the A instead of B.
    But no point in argueing about it !

9. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    That sounds lively, fresh and with much sense regarding tone coloring to me!
    Have not had a look at the score, and found no big mistakes by ear. The only thing I would niggle is the final run, a bit uneven. Otherwise, very good performance, congratulations for that!

It's true, you really hear much! Now I understand, why every time i play the piano, our dog leaves the room - the dog has taste... :D

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Not just that I hear much, but I know a lot of repertoire inside out. So there is no escaping the Spanish Inquisition :wink:

Yes dogs do have taste ! In our house, the dog is the only one that sometimes comes and listens to me. She'll be spread out right next to my feet and snoring away - it's ever so sweet. And soooo nice to have an audience :lol:

11. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I think you have a very well understanding of Albeniz's music and keep "the music line" very good througout the performance. The tempo and temperament is right according to my taste. I really liked it!

12. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Lucky guy! That gives me even more to think - your dog listens and gets sweet dreams because of your playing, and my dog flees as soon as I start to hit some keys... Bad signs for my playing...

13. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    Ah, the Spanish Netherlands! :twisted:

My dog years ago used to lie under the piano when I practiced. The clarinet would make her cock her head from side to side and she would get a puzzled look then leave though.

Seriously Chris your ability to hear and critique performances is remarkable, I can't hear my own mistakes sometimes, as in this instance. :roll: We are lucky to have you here to hear. :p :D 8)

14. arensky

arensky New Member

Musician
    Home Page:
    Ah, the Spanish Netherlands! :twisted:

My dog years ago used to lie under the piano when I practiced. The clarinet would make her cock her head from side to side and she would get a puzzled look then leave though.

Seriously Chris your ability to hear and critique performances is remarkable, I can't hear my own mistakes sometimes, as in this instance. :roll: We are lucky to have you here to hear. :p :D 8)

15. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Maybe she is deaf and only can feel the vibrations so she lays down by the piano to get a massage :?: Completely oblivious to the fact that you're playing.