Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Albeniz and my belly dancing video

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Sep 23, 2008.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Haha - not really! No video here - not that crazy (yet :lol:).

This piece is titled, Zambra Granadina. Also, Danse Orientale. I was drawn to the name and decided to give it a go. I have not the strength in my arms to get the fortissimos as fortissimo as I'd like, so I hope it's ok.

Albeniz - Zambra Granadina

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Monica,
    what a pity, not a belly dancing video! That would have been a real change here.:lol:

I think, this a piece with much temperament and you bring this out well. Especially the articulation seems very well done to me. Also the last highpoint seems enough forte for my taste, really well done. The little embellishments to the melody sound precisely. I can not profoundly judge your performance, because I have no score of this piece, but I think it´s a very nice one and in every case I enjoyed it.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Cute piece, well performed. I did not know this one. I miss a certain sonority but it seems there are not very much basses in this piece. I wonder how it would sound if you applied a bass boost.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks Andreas and Chris.

I do not know how to add a bass boost.

5. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Oh you! :lol:

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Cooledit has a quick filter for that, which I - very occasionally - use for an organ recording. Not sure about Audacity though. It was just an idea as I find some of your recent recordings a bit treble-heavy.

7. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Doesn't nees a bass boost! It's beautiful the way it is.

8. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    It is a bit treble-heavy but it fits the character of the piece which by the way is very nicely played, Monica!

Any bass boosting should be very slight; same with reverb.

9. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    I'm on it!!! one belly dancing video coming up!!! *looking for vomiting icon* :shock: :D

Anyway, cool song. The beginning was wonderfully articulated!! Lovely ... I really like the chord transitions ... so mysterious. I thought climax was loud enough ... I always have the music ludicrously loud anyway!! And besides, that's why God made volume buttons. Kudos!

*eagerly awaiting belly dancing video* oooo ... we could do one together! ROFL

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, thanks for the input, Raymond, Pete and Nathan.

I use Wavepad, and even paid for the pro version, but there is not a bass boost feature on it. :x

Is cooledit free? I once downloaded audacity and found it pretty confusing, so I gave up on it. But just now, I downloaded it again, and it Does have a bass booster, so of course I couldn't resist fooling around with it. I added a small amount of bass (level 10) and it sure does work. Trouble is now I can't figure out how to get it up here. It put the file as an .aud file, instead of .mp3.

And Nathan - great idea! I'll video myself doing a little dance, and you do the same. Then send me your file and we'll super-impose you next to me so we will dance together! What color outfit do you want to wear? I'll wear red. And don't forget the coin bra! :lol:

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    a couple hours later....I think I have this audacity bass boost thing figured out. Can someone please listen to just a few seconds of the attached file and tell me if it sounds better or worse than the original?

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I think this sounds nicer.
    Question is of course why the original recording does not seem to have sufficient bass presence. Don't you have the lid open when recording ?

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, thank you. I think I like it better, too, but I hear a sort of fast, fluttery sound now, so I am going to have do some tweaking with this stuff.

Yes, my lid is always open, but well...I moved my Edirol again. Currently, it is positioned four or five feet high next to the piano, facing inside and about at the half-way point between the lid and the frame. I don't know why the bass is not sounding as deep as before - maybe I'll go back to my old place. I dunno...

14. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Monica,
    I would not add so much bass-frequencies. I have reduced them a bit, I put more middle-frequencies and still more high-frequencies and my standard reverb-attitudes to it. And I put the peak-level higher. So I like it more. (But it´s only my personal taste, of course. :wink: )

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The mad sound editor strikes again! :lol:

Thank you very much Andreas. I appreciate you taking time to do this. I listened and agree with you that I added too much bass boost in my last attempt. And I don't understand what that 'frequency' thing is. Are you using Audacity? I don't have that in my Audacity. I have bass boost, and when I open it up, I also get a chance to change the frequency but it only applies to the bass. (I don't even quite get what I just said)

Also, do you hear a slight fluttery sound, especially at the very beginning? I notice it more when I transferred my bassboost file to my IPod. Heard it very clearly. I also hear it a little bit in your edited version, but it is not as strong. Is it there from boosting the bass?

I do like your reverb.

If possible, can you explain a little about the low, middle, high frequency issue?

16. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Monica,

always a pleasure to strike, I´m a dangerous man! :lol:

I used WavLab to edit your recording and what you need is an equalizer function. This evening I will give you further explanations. (Now it´s morning and I have to go to school.)

17. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Monica,
    now I have time to write a more detailed reply. :D
    Pianolady wrote:
    I have Audacity on my computer, and it has an equalizer function. You find it under "effects", than choose "equalizer". But it´s very simple. There are several pre-attitudes like "accoustic", AES, EMI 78 and so on. You can test them, play around with them and apply them to your recordings and see, which attitude you like mostly. It also has a "curve" of frequencies, which can be changed by the user. To put this curve up means to make the volume of the concerned frequencies higher to put it down means to put the volume of the concerned frequencies lower. In the scale under the db (dezibel=volume) you have the scale of the frequencies from 30 Hz (a very deep tone) to 10000 Hz (=Hertz) (a very high tone). The deeper the frequencies the bigger are the waves of the tone, the deeper is the tone. The higher the frequencies the more little are the waves of the tone, the higher is the tone. F. ex. a´= 440 Hz, for comparison: c´= 261,63 Hz.
    So, if you make the high frequencies louder (by puting the curve up, let say in the area between 500 and 5000 Hz) you will hear more the high tones of your recording, if you put the curve higher in the area of let say 200 to 400 Hz you will hear more the middle-tones of your recording, if you put the curve higher in the area of nearly 30 to 200 Hz you will hear more the bass-tones of your recording. If you put the curve higher as a long line, that means in all frequency-areas you will reach an intensivation of all tones of your recording. But usually you want to intensivate one or more certain areas of frequencies in your recording.
    BTW, before you apply the equalizer function of Audacity you have to mark your complete recording or just the area, which you want to edit.

For me it´s really difficult to explain all this in English. I´m sure my expression and English sentences are very bad. I´m very sorry for this and I hope, you could understand a bit of all what I wrote. :oops:

Yes, this is certainly caused by the bass-boost. I think, the enforcement of the low frequencies caused this flutter.

Thank you, I spend quite much time to find out the right reverb-attitudes for my recordings. I saved them as a "preset" and named it "Andreas´special reverb". :wink:

You may find my (probably quite bad) explanation above.

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It is not so bad at all. Only I'd like to say that the term 'attitude' is not right here. We are talking about settings, not attitudes.

While on the subject... you use the word 'gay' often. I know what you mean, but in recent times this word has become a synonym for homosexual. This does not mean of course, we can't use the word in its original context, but I just thought I'd let you know in case you were not aware of it.

19. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Techneut wrote:
    Thank you very much for this advice, Chris. I think you are right here. "Attitudes" concern more the inner human area, isn´t? "Settings" concern the outside technical one.

I was aware of this meaning of the word "gay", but, of course, I used it always in the sense of "merry" or "cheerful" and never in the sense of "homosexual".

Thanks, I´m always glad about helps concerning the English language.

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you very much, Andreas. I think I actually understand all of that! Now all I need is some time to fool around with this. I'm afraid that once I start, I'll be on the computer for hours and hours. I'm going to try it tonight, though. I may have more questions for you later.