Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Albeniz and Chopin, Hector Sanchez - piano

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by hectorjs, Jan 7, 2008.

1. hectorjs

hectorjs New Member Piano Society Artist

Pianist. Chamber Music Professor, Conservatory of
    Last Name:
    Sanchez
    First Name:
    Hector
    Hello everyone, and happy new year 2008!!
    I hope everyone's holidays were full of joy and love... and some nice Christmas sweets :)
    I just returned myself from a trip to Slovaquia, where I spent new year's eve, with the batteries completely recharged.
    So, to start off the year, here are a couple of recordings, as always made during live performances (so please forgive the couple of wrong notes here and there...), of Albeniz's "La Vega", and Chopin's Mazurka Op.50 n.3. Both pieces were recorded during a concert in NY in 2002.
    I hope you enjoy them!
    All the best,
    Hector Sanchez

Chopin Mazurka in C sharp minor, Op. 50 no. 3

Albeniz - La Vega

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ooh, La Vega... I have always wanted to hear that. Too bad I can't download mp3's here at work :x Guess I'll have to wait - unless you'd care to mail a copy to cbreemer@hotmail.com...

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Hector,
    I just listened to your Chopin. I love this mazurka. To me, it is exactly how I imagine Chopin's personality - the joy and sweetness, but also the despair and sadness. It's perfect.

And I enjoyed your playing. Very sensitive and gentle on the sweet parts. And good job bringing out the melody lines that are weaved together so intricately.

on to the Albeniz piece, now...

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, these are both up on the site.

And wow! to the Albeniz piece. I've never heard it before and it feels like I've just been on a journey. Great job!

Please check all links, and if you can provide any information on La Vega, please let me know. Also, did I get this labeled correctly on the page? I wasn't sure if it is from Alhambra Suite or if it should be Suite Alhambra. And I take it this is the 1st piece from a set?

5. DemhaOdnanref

DemhaOdnanref New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Anzaldua
    First Name:
    Ahmed
    Hola Hector!

Excelent, like always. I hope you're fine; say hello to Galina from me.

I especially loved the mazurka.

Ahmed

6. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah, La Vega.... If only he had written more of them we could call them Las Vegas :lol:
    I was so taken with it that I almost forgot to listen to the Mazurka.

Whan an extraordinary piece this is. Its colossal scope reminds one of Beethoven's Hammerklavier or the Dukas Sonata, and its ambition and sheer difficulty seem to transcend even the Iberia. It's marked as part one an an "Alhambra Suite" but I think that suite was projected but never materialized. I feel that Albeniz, had he lived to complete all of them, maybe would have bundled Navarra, La Vega, and Azulejos into a 5th book of Iberia. That would have been fitting. Now, we'll have to put La Vega in a Miscellaneous page as it does not fit anywhere else. Actually it is worth a page of its own, if we can find some text and perhaps an image to go with it.

Your playing of La Vega leaves nothing to be wished to my ears - though I had never heard it before, it sounds perfect. Larrocha would surely be proud of you (were you a pupil of hers ?).

The Mazurka, one of my favourites, is beautifully done too - though I found the middle section just a little tame - isn't this marked gaio or something ? Surprisingly, I heard one or two small slips here, whereas I did not detect any in La Vega (with score at hand). The applause at the end seemed rather luke warm... did they not appreciate it or were there just few people ?

7. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I think this is one of the first mazurkas that I ever fell in love with. The beginning reminds me of Bach a bit, and the ending is just divine. :D And there's a bit of that Bach-ish counterpoint throughout, except for in the typically mazurkish sections. I also detected a slip, in the middle mazurkish section...a chord that should have changed, and did not (no score to hand). Seems like it might have been a reading error rather than a slip.

I'll listen to the other one later. Not that you're waiting breathlessly for me to critique it or anything. :lol:

8. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Hector,

La vega fue una cosa de rara hermosura. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for post.

9. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    I took me some time before I had the chance to listen to these quality recordings, because that it is the least you can name them. Truly wonderful and sensitive playing and I kept the Albeniz recording running at least 5 times now when making food to the kids. Of course I have heard the Chopin mazurka many many times but the Albeniz La Vega has mysteriously escaped me and I am truly grateful for introducing me into this wonderful piece of music! Your playing is amazingly well prepared too and I could almost not resist to fall into the applause when finished.

10. Michael_B

Michael_B New Member

Financial Manager
    The performance of the Albéniz work is spell-binding. A great piece with a pianist to match! It prompted me to buy the sheet music (Henle edition) last week and start the (long and ambitious) job of learning it... it will be a big project but well worth it. Once past the reading issues (seven flats and a whole host of accidentals, at one point modulating to B double-flat major[1]), the sequential nature of much of the writing starts to make a lot of sense, but there are of course quite a few corners of technical difficulty which will keep me busy for a long while yet as I get to know this piece.

Thanks again for sharing this, and for the inspiration as well!

Michael B.
    [1] At this point Albéniz bites the bullet and notates the same phrase (when it repeats) as A major and then moves to D major... although E double-flat major wouldn't have surprised me at that point! ;)

11. Mr Duffy

Mr Duffy New Member

i've been listening to La Vega for quite a long time in the last weeks. really a wonderful piece, outstandingly played. thanks a lot!
    bye Mr Duffy

12. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    thanks to Mr. Sanchez AND to Mr. Duffy

What a magical recording the Albeniz is! A million thanks to Mr. Sanchez for posting this and congratulations on achieving such a performance.

I'd also like to thank Mr. Duffy for posting a reply so belatedly. I had missed this recording while wandering around the Spanish composers on the site and his post led me to the recording.