Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Albéniz, Alkan, and Scriabin

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Jul 2, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    *Didn't want to take up too much space here, so that's why I put these all on one thread*

Albéniz - Guess I'll just go down the line with this set, so here is no. 2 "Cataluna". I was going to video tape this, but I can't help swaying side to side when I play it so it looked too stupid.

Alkan - I always thought Alkan's music is too difficult for me to play, and after Felipe's latest recordings, I still felt that way. But then I randomly found this little piece in my 'Romantic' piano book collection and saw that it's not so bad. I don't know anything about this set so I wonder if there are more 'playable' ones in it.

Scriabin - Continuing my quest to learn more about Scriabin's music. When I first looked at this particular piece, I thought I could handle the difficult rhythm. The meter changes every measure from like 3/8 to 5/16 to 2/4 to 15/16, etc... But now I'm not sure I got it right after all. Made my head spin a little as I was playing and I needed to tap my foot a lot.

Albéniz - Suite Espagnole No. 1 Op. 47 - II: Cataluna

Alkan - Esquisses Op.63, no. 46 "Le premier billet doux"

Scriabin - 3 Morceaux op. 52, I: Poème

2. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    These are very nice recordings, Monica. Simple yet meaningful. I liked the Alkan piece much even though I know nothing about the composer or his work. And of course, Scriabin is always unbelievable. You have done excellent playing the Morceaux.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nice job on all of these. The Albeniz could have a bit more fire and sweep IMO. The LH figurations sound a bit 'notey' and dutiful if you know what I mean. The Scriabin sounds well played but I cannot comment in detail as this music just irritates me (I could not finish it...).

Yeah go on and complete it. I've decided to leave this set alone, I don't actually like it enough to spend a lot of time on it (even though I've played it for a long time, but that's not a sufficient reason for recording).

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening, Pantelis and Chris.

And although you meant to criticize my playing of those LH notes, I take it as a compliment because I intended them to be more 'notey'. I've heard others play this and it many times sounded too smeary, like too much pedal and you can't even hear the notes. I wanted the notes to sound cleaner and more clear.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I did. They sound like Czerny :p

6. Lukecash

Lukecash New Member

student
    There are a few in that set that are playable, but i wouldn't know, seeing as i don't explicitely know how well you play. They're definitely worth a try though; Alkan can teach an awful lot more about composing when you play his pieces rather than listen.

7. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Monica,
    To Albeniz: wow, that´s so musically and expressively played. I really have enjoyed your performance very much. I have followed with score to see, if I could give you some helpful tips, but it seems nearly perfectly played. The only small thing I noticed was in bar 26, here begins a piano-part in the Schott-edition, but you play it still quite forte.
    I like the clearness and accuracy of the left hand passages, so you tell your listeners a real story and you draw not a picture of a man to us, who is drowning in a stormish sea. :D
    At the end you seem reliefed, because I could hear a little "phew". :wink:

To Alkan: I also think, that I never will be able to play the great virtuoso pieces of Alkan (like Marc-André Hamelin f.ex. does in an excellent manner). But these smaller character-pieces are very nice and playable. I didn´t know them, so it´s really an enrichment for me to meet them here and by such a beautiful performance it´s a double enrichment!
    I followed with score also here and I nothing could find to "nag". You play it splendidly.

To Scriabin: that´s such a mysterious piece, isn´t it? And the kind of bars like 2/16, 3/16, 5/16 must not be so easy from the rhythmical point of view. But you master this piece in an excellent manner IMO. Have my sincere congratulations to this beautiful recording. My reading along with the score says me, that you play it note-perfect and also your expression is very adequate. I have only a little suggestion: may be the portato-notes could be played clearer as such, but that´s just a matter of interpretation and taste, of course.

These recordings sound all very nice to me MOnica, and I have to say, for me your recordings are of the best on this site. You have reached a high quality concerning the exact orientation at the text of the score and a high level of musicality and expressivity!

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, thanks - I'll take a look at them.

haha - very funny. Well, ummm....I don't have a good reply. Must be because these shoes are too tight.

Oh, Andreas - you're so sweet. But are you just saying that because you want me to send you a hamburger? :wink: :lol:

Seriously, thank you. I am touched! :D I keep practicing and practicing for really nobody - at home, that is. My family just tunes me out completely, and since I'm currently not taking lessons, I don't have anyone to really listen to me, except you and the other members. I'm not joking when I say I am touched. I don't get touched at home, so this here on the site is pretty much all I've got.
    Unless I make some more videos - but I don't like my new haircut and I have to buy some new clothes, first.

9. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    l33t!

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    :?:

( :lol: sorry - had to do it because it's true)

11. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Juufa72 wrote:
    Now for the untaught: what the hell does this mean?

12. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Of course :wink: , but without meat, please, because I don´t want to meet meat! :lol: I´m again vegetarian since some weeks. Between 1992 and 2002 I was vegetarian, too, then I began again to eat meat, now I´m vegetarian again. Life seems to be a circuit. :lol:

Your musical situation at home sounds really a bit dejected. Do your husband and your two sons not appreciate your playing and practising? You must be sad about this, I think.
    For me it´s really a great pleasure to listen to your excellent recordings and I only can encourage you to keep up your good work! Yes, this site is really singular and a very good initiative. All the feedbacks and useful inspirations and tips I do appreciate very much, and also the nice contacts here (if I don´t get nasty comments like the one of Bohumir Stehlik, and I´m glad, that you and Chris stick to me in this point).

Of course, I´m attending your new video with big interest and curiousity.

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    :lol: :lol: Beats me! Maybe a new language or something?

that's a good one!

What made you decide to become a vegetarian and then go back to meat, and then back to vegetarian again?

Well, I can't blame my husband and sons for not appreciating my playing. It's nothing new to them since they hear me all the time. But they don't really understand how hard I have to work to get a piece down, but also they don't understand how I can love playing piano so much! Every once in a while, my husband will wander into the living room when I am practicing and he'll sit and listen to me. It's pretty seldom, though. However, my Dad likes to hear me on CD's I make for him, so that's nice. But really, it's only we pianists who understand each other and what we do. Thank God for Piano Society!

14. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius

ugh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

bunch of n00bs you are :D

15. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

I just listened to all three pieces you presented here. Both the Alkan and Albeniz were new to me, and both struck me as being played very well. I appreciate your learning and recording lesser known repertoire, as it broadens our horizons and serves those composers well. My favorite, not surprisingly, was the Scriabin piece (ah, the Russian late romantics! :)). I think you had good courage to play this poeme. Once you cross Scriabin's Op. 50 or so, you encounter his transition from middle to late period, during which his style changed markedly, becoming more cerebral and mysterious in some respects. So interpretation becomes more challenging. I think your rendition is totally creditable and very enjoyable to hear. Good job!

David

16. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Julius,
    o.k., now we know that there is leet, a kind of encoded computer language and that we are the corny newbies. :lol: But what has this to do with this topic or what did you want to tell us with this? :?:

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I still don't get that 'leet' thing either. Oh well....

Thanks for listening, David. I'm not surprised at all that you liked the Scriabin. I followed along with the score as you played your last Catoire piece and appreciated it's complex rhythm. It reminded me of this Scriabin piece.

18. juufa72

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    When I wrote "l33t" I intended the meaning of: "monica, your recordings are quite nice"...... :roll:

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    sorry J. You are just much more hip than I - but thank you! :)

20. toki

toki New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Hi Monica,

I haven't stopped by in a while, but I took some time to listen to your three pieces here today. I don't know a whole lot stylistically about the Albeniz and Alkan, but I thought I'd give my opinion on the Scriabin. As far as the rhythms and notes are concerned, I think you do just fine. What I think was missing was the more "ethereal" aspect that Rachfan touched upon. What comes to mind when I hear Scriabin's slower poemes (like this one) are different washes of colors and scents and so on fading in and out. If you try to apply that kind of imagery to the sound, basically what it comes down to is a little more pedal with a slightly more rounded tone, and a lot of rubato.

Even so, these are tough pieces and I think you are doing a great job. I remember coming here a while back and you were just barely doing some Chopin nocturnes and other pieces on that level. It's amazing to see you've made the jump to Scriabin already. He really is one of my favorite composers.