Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by andrew, Oct 16, 2014.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I'm planning to make myself a pianist website - I think it's a good idea in view of the recent minor success I've had with my album.

Consequently, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to listen through a few audio clips and offer comments on their suitability for use in this context. I've gone through my recital recordings in the past few years and tried to pick the best, or most notable, ones, but I'm not the most objective judge of how they'll appear to others. I won't use all of these clips on a website, but I'm pretty happy with most of them. A mixture of live clips, studio tracks/samples and improvisations: https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Much appreciated!

(note to Chris and Monica, no submissions intended, actually the first four tracks are already up on Piano Society! However I'm most likely to get a response in this forum.)

2. Didier

Didier Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Brest
    First Name:
    Didier
    Hi Andrew,

As far as the sound quality is of concern, I would give lesser priority to Rossini-Thalberg Dal tuo stellato soglio, Liapunov Nuit d'été (live), Cocktail Piano Improvisation - Bosendorfer, Improvisation 26 - 08 - 14, Rossini-Thalberg Dal Tuo Stellato Soglio (live) and Korobeiniki Fantasy (19th century Tetris - live encore).

Cheers,

Didier

3. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks, Didier, that's an aspect I'd not considered. Too busy wondering about how well (or badly!) I'd played on them. Unsurprisingly, you've picked out the ones which were on lower quality pianos, or recorded with my Edirol, rather than the studio-edited ones where the best quality equipment was used. I thought there was some clipping in the Liapunov (which can be cleaned up a little within recent versions of Audacity.) I'll bear your comments in mind and will get my engineer to do noise-removal on any non-studio clips I end up using. Thanks again.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi Andrew,
    Yes, you should definitely make your own website. I have one too, but it's not for professional reasons. It's just for fun and a place where I can store my recordings and also my friends and family can find any particular recording of mine much easier. I'm still working on it, but here it is:

http://www.monicaalianello.com

Good luck on your site! :)

5. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Hi Monica, thanks for the encouragement. I stumbled upon your website a few days ago - it's looking good!

6. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andrew,

I think that having your own site makes a lot of sense. I have a Facebook page, but I've also thought of doing my own website, but lack the skills to set it up. My son could do it for me easily.

If you want to limit the number of pieces posted, I would suggest this in making selections: 1) Favor compositions that you like the most; and 2) Be sure that the ones you choose also meet your personal performance standards. With those two criteria in mind, you'll make the best choices.

Once your site is up and running, please be sure to let us know so that we can check it out. Best of luck on this!

David

7. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Yes, I agree. The studio stuff is fine. I'd like the live performance standards to be a little higher, or at least closer to what I feel I'd manage within a studio context, but I'm probably asking the impossible (for me, at least). There are three clips where I played the same recital twice in a few days, on the same piano, and thus perhaps I could splice between different performances, but I'm not sure I want to get overly involved in that. Having now re-listened to them multiple times (!) I'm definitely inclined to use the Ernani, which I think is pretty accurate technically, although I don't think it's a great tramscription; the Cziffra, because of what it is, and the Liapunov, which is both rare and beautiful music. Re Didier's above comments, I'll give any live tracks I end up using to the engineer who made my CD and ask him to do some sonic cleaning on them. Thanks for your comments.