Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

A Xmas post - 3 Godowsky's Renaissance settings

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by alf, Dec 24, 2009.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Godowsky's "Renaissance" is a suite of transcriptions and free arrangements of harpischord pieces (mainly) by Italian and French baroque composers. This set was first published between 1906 and 1909 in Berlin. It is divided in four books (six pieces each), two books are unfinished.

Some of those pieces used to be in the repertoire of famous pianists like Barere, Gilels, Wild and surely others that I forget now. Tastes change and for a few decades nobody played them. Today we have at least two complete recordings of this set (by Scherbakov and Carlo Grante), and generally speaking the younger generation seem more interested in this kind of literature than in the past.

I recorded three: an arrangement of a gallant Sarabande by Rameau, a Capriccio after Le Caquet by Dandrieu and, the famous, Christmas flavored, Pastorale by Corelli, in a particularly luxuriant setting. Here you can find all the scores: http://web.media.mit.edu/~mike/scores/godowsky/Renaissance/

Chris, Monica, I see that in the Godowsky page there's just a generic 'transcriptions' section, with only one piece, whereas Godowsky wrote hundreds of arrangements and transcriptions, and it'd probably be better to anticipate a separation by genre or collections. I recommend that this set has a page of its own, called for example "Renaissance - free arrangements of Baroque pieces". Maybe other members will join in and record some more items.

I've also experimented with the SIR reverb plugin that Didier prompted us sometime ago (thank you again Didier for that). I believe that it slightly obviates the unpleasant 'digitalness' of my piano.

Happy listening and my warmest wishes to all of you for a serene Christmas.

Godowsky - Renaissance - 1: After Rameau's Sarabande in E( 3:22 )
    Godowsky - Renaissance - 8: After Corelli's Pastorale( 4:58 )
    Godowsky - Renaissance - 11: Capriccio after Dandrieu's Le Caquet( 3:06 )

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, now I see why you made that comment about transcriptions. :wink:

These sound very nice, Alfonso. I especially like the Corelli - it's so pretty. As far as your piano sound goes - to me it sounds like you could use some more bass - like a bass-boost. Not sure if that plugin thingy can do that - I tried using that program but got confused and had a bunch of problems so I took it off my computer afterwards.

About a separate page - I have no problem with creating a page for these. And maybe then our 'transcriptions' page should really be called 'miscellaneous transcriptions'. I'm running out of time now, so if I don't get these up today, then I will over the weekend - unless Chris wants to do it.

And Merry Christmas to you too!

(again, all this love here today. I love it! :lol: )

3. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thank you, Monica. When I listen to my recordings here they don't seem in need of a bass-boost. The SIR plugin works fine on my Audition software, except that if I apply an effect after 'previewing' it the application freezes (so I have to close and reopen the dialog after a preview).

For the new page, you can use the first paragraph of my first post as an introduction. And 'Miscellaneous transcriptions' is perfectly fine to host the odd transcription like the one there is now.

4. sarah

sarah New Member

Just lovely pieces! I've never heard these before, and you played them so artistically. I have fallen in love with the first one... I need a short piece to open a program in the spring, and if you don't mind I'm running away with that serenely beautiful Rameau piece for the purpose. :wink: Thanks so much for sharing these with us!

The piano bass sounds great on my speakers, but of course I have unexperienced ears in regards to things like this. :D

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are up.

6. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I think I've fallen in love with your playing, Alfonso... :D It's soooo delicate and lovely!
    Indeed the sound is very pleasing! Alfonso, you should let me know how it works. Is a "plugin" a program, which you install in your computer? Does it work then with the editing software?? I made some test recordings with my digital piano and find the bass sound always a problem.

7. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Now that's a compliment! :lol:
    Thank you very much Hye-Jin.

Didier gave some explanations about how to use it (search the Forum), but the details also depend on your audio editing software. I just had to copy the SIR_1011.dll file into the plugin folder of my Adobe Audition.

8. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thanks Sarah, I'm always happy if some fellow pianist gets fond of what I like. I'm pleased if you play that Sarabande, I think it can work both as an opener or an encore. That set discloses many beauties to the curious pianist and not all those pieces are insanely difficult.

Chris, thank you too for putting up my stuff.

9. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I listened to all pieces with big interest and with score from imslp.org. What lovely pieces, I didn´t know them before and what a wonderful performance. Your recordings breath the mind of the music perfectly. You show a subtle sense for dynamics, articulation and agogic in every note.
    And there are some very nice ideas of voicing. So, with one word: this is artistic piano-playing like it should be and I like your interpretation very much.
    I love these "raindrops" in no. 8.
    The Scherzo really is funny and also musical demanding at some places. Your interpretation transmits this kind of Vienniese humor perfectly, it´s great how you catch this atmosphere with a mixture of lightness and a bit "weight" like it is so characteristic for this "Wiener Blut"!
    So this was thoroughly a very pleasurable listening!

10. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Thank you very much, Andreas!

11. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alfonso,

I always very much like to hear your renditions. You're very expressive in playing all three of these Godowsky pieces. And you're very thoughtful about every note you play, which means that you listen to-- and hear--every note. That's the mark of the true artist in my opinion. Beautifully played, Alphonso! You've served the compose/transcriber admirably.

David

12. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    That's really very kind of you, David. Thank you!