DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

A soft beautiful tone

Discussion in 'Technique' started by EmperorCQX, Apr 17, 2012.

1. EmperorCQX

EmperorCQX New Member

Greetings members of Piano society,

I am new to this forun and i believe i shall frequent here really often in the future. Without any further introduction, i shall shoot at the topic :).

How do i produce a soft touch with a full and beautiful tone. Scriabin for example, requires a pianossimo on left hand and i do not like the result that i produce, same goes to Bach's pieces.

Any tips or advice? Thanks in advance!!!

Regards,
    Emperor

2. teosoleil

teosoleil New Member

Sounds like you have problems with finger control and dynamics. I'd recommend that you take time to build your finger strength and technique, and then exaggerate your dynamics. You need total control over the keys and fingers in order to sound the dynamics correctly.

3. paulwhite743

paulwhite743 New Member

Retired music teacher. Composer.
    Home Page:
    http://techniquepiano.weebly.com/
    GOOGLEPLUS:
    PaulWhite743
    YOUTUBE:
    PaulWhite743
    The main ways we have of controlling dynamics are arm weight and speed of finger action. The more of both, the louder the music ! The quietest possible sound is achieved by using very little weight and a minimal finger stroke. For a fuller tone, slightly increase the arm weight but keep the finger stroke minimal, with the fingers close to the keys and "stroking" rather than hitting them. When playing like this I recommend letting the hand "hang" loosely from the wrist. If you hold up the hand horizontally the touch will be stiff and uneven. It is a good idea to practise the passage very firmly to begin with, so that the notes are securely under the fingers, then grade down the dynamics later.