Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

A little bit of Beethoven and Mozart

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by supitalp, Dec 29, 2009.

1. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    You never learn... :wink: In Chopin there's not such a thing as 'the score'. As a matter of fact, Kocsis didn't maul anything, he just chose a different source.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's the spirit! I have often had errors pointed out in recordings of mine, which then forced me to re-record. It can be aggravating, but you will be happier in the end, since you'll produce a better recording.

3. supitalp

supitalp New Member

Hi there and happy new year 2010 ! (hope you're not too hung over)
    I tried to record the Chopin again yesterday and I think I've managed to get something correct at last.
    Please tell me what you think about it :)

Thanks,

Henri

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, your triplets are still not quite right, but the rhythm on beat 2 is fixed. I think we'd be willing to accept this recording as it is now. So that means we have your Mozart and this Chopin ready to go. Now we only have to wait for your Beethoven redo and then we can add you as a member. One more thing - the recording ends too abruptly on this Chopin. It's better to hang onto the last notes a little longer (unless it's marked staccato) and also give the file a couple seconds of silence before cutting off.

Happy New Year to you too!

5. supitalp

supitalp New Member

Thanks for your comments pianolady !

I recorded the Chopin again, trying to play more smoothly (and I tried to hang longer on the last notes and add a few seconds of silence at the end).
    And I've recorded the Beethoven again, with the triplet bar 66 corrected at last (I hope :p).
    Finally, I have improved the quality of the Mozart using the tricks I've learned since I started recording :) So I submit it again (sorry).

Henri

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, Henri - first off, please call me Monica. Second, I listened briefly to the Chopin and Beethoven. Chopin sounds about the same but the end is better now. Beethoven - I think you got the rhythm worked out fine now - I'm not following a score and I can't really concentrate. I'll come back in the mornging and listen again, but before I forget: your recordings are a little soft. Had to turn my speakers all the way up. And the Beethoven - not sure, but I think I liked your other version better (regarding musicality, technique, etc. - not talking about that one rhythm spot). I dunno...can you get on an acoustic piano? This piece just doesn't really make it on a digital. Like I said, I'll listen again tomorrow. And maybe other members can add some more feedback too.

7. supitalp

supitalp New Member

Hi,
    In fact I do have access to an acoustic piano. But I don't have any microphone so I can't really record something seriously. All is have is a - very old - video camera which adds an awful static noise to the sound.
    I'm planning to get a microphone one of these days, but I don't which ones are suitable for piano recording. Maybe you can advise me since you seem to record on acoustic piano, Monica ?

Actually, I totally agree that the Beethoven sounds a lot better on acoustic piano. It is much more comfortable to play an acoustic piano anyway :)

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Several of us here use digital recorders such as the Edirol and Zoom. They have mics already built in. The sound quality is good and the devices are simple to use. Other members want an even better sound and go with mics, however I am not sure anymore which ones our guys are using. I believe they are using a variety of different mics. If you go into the ‘search’ function and type in ‘mics’ you will get many results. Also, go over to our Resources forum and you will see a thread called “”Making Professional Home Recordings”. There is a wealth of information about mics and things like that. What kind of piano is your acoustic piano?

9. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are getting better. The Mozart is expertly done. One or two accents are a bit too ferocious but it is very convincing.

The Chopin would be good if you could get these triplets sorted out (you're still fazed by them) and apply some rubato, especially in the lyrical middle section.

The Beethoven is not bad but sounds more like a dutiful traversal of the notes than an heartfelt interpretation. Difficult to say exactly why... it just does not convince. Some of the ornaments are not cleanly done (one must never neglect ornaments, an improperly played one stands out like a sore thumb).

But technically, there is very little wrong here. I think these could go on the site now. Time for a bio and photo !

10. supitalp

supitalp New Member

Ok.

Henri was born in 1991 in Sallanches, France. He started getting piano lessons at about 6 with his teacher Colette Daltier. This lasted until 2007, when his teacher retired. In 2008, Henri entered preparation in mathematics and physics for entrance to French engineering schools at the lycée "Aux Lazaristes" in Lyon. Currently, his studies don't allow him to spend much time on his piano, though he didn't give up practice.

Henri plays both classical and ragtime-boogie-woogie music. His favourite classical composers are Mozart (piano sonatas), Chopin (waltzes, nocturnes), Beethoven (piano sonatas) and Schubert (impromptus). He also loves Rachmaninov (especially piano concertos 1,2,3 & 4).

Wow hadn't realised how hard it is to write an "autobiography" in English. Please correct my mistakes if you can find some. :lol:
    Here is the only picture which can't damage my reputation I found on my hard drive :D
    Sorry it is rather old.

Lastly, I have tried to record another time the Chopin, triyng to apply your advice (but I still don't think I got the triplets right). Tell me if you prefer this one or the former one (this one is maybe less automatic than the previous especially in the lyrical section).

Sorry for being slow to respond, it's been really hard to find time this week.
    Thanks,

Henri

P.S : Shall I delete the very first recordings I posted to save some disk space on the server ?

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    ok, I'll get going on making your page sometime today. But first, is this the correct spelling of your last name - Rebecq?

12. supitalp

supitalp New Member

Absolutely ! (I think it comes from West of France).

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Your page is up, along with the Beethoven and Chopin. I did not do the Mozart yet because I need a K number. I've deleted all the attachments but I think the one I used shows K525 and I don't think that is correct. Please check this. Also check the links too.

14. supitalp

supitalp New Member

Thank you !
    The Mozart is one minuet from the 8 Minuets for trio with piano (K315g).

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    ok good, that's what I needed. Mozart is now up, as well.

So two welcomes: 1. I officially welcome you to Piano Society. We hope you will be a regular contributor to the site and regular participant on our forum. 2. You're welcome. :)

16. musicrecovery

musicrecovery Member Piano Society Artist

Special Ed/Music Teacher NYC (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Rochelle
    First Name:
    Kaila
    Henri,

Your Interpretation of the Chopin G flat major Op.71 waltz has much charm and beauty.
    The flow and character are so within the genre and yet original in the approach.

Kaila Rochelle