Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

2 personal compositions

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by demonic_advent, Dec 17, 2007.

1. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well, I'm home alone right now, so I figured that this would give me an opportunity to do some new recordings.

However, a thought struck me as I was playing...

What if I recorded some of my personal compositions??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well... I did.

Sorry...

Anyways, the second is the first movement of my first piano sonata. This movement is in F Minor, and is marked allegro vivace. I would have recorded the third movement (the funeral march), but today I decided to rework it a bit, and I'm still getting myself up to recording quality. Besides... I'm planning on having a day where I submit nothing but funeral marches anyways, so maybe I'll save it for then. (I know a lot of funeral marches... :shock: )

The first piece is my first gymnopedie. It's kinda based off the musical style created by Satie... but kinda not at the same time. It's my own reworking of the genre.

Again... I'm sorry that I'm subjecting you all to this.

2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I heard a Chopin prelude and a Rachmaninoff concerto (? - I think it was a concerto) heavily in the opening bars of your sonata movement. And then a bunch of ideas that weren't really developed properly. :?

3. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    You might have heard the g minor chopin prelude, because of the pounding bass octaves (but there is a slight difference in note duration... only very slight.)

Perhaps the 5th of the f minor chord that rose cromatically reminded you of Rach's 2nd concerto?

I never even thought of that one before...

Now it all makes sense.

P.S. I suck at development...

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    It was the way the minor chords rose chromatically, yes, and don't ask me which concerto it was because I don't have recordings of them. My mom does, though....and I am at my mom's house...I should go fink her CD's. :D

hehe....at least you're honest. :lol:

And trust me...I've been "subjected" to far worse...

5. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Don't worry, I won't ask you what concerto it is. I know it's the second.
    His second concerto is one of my favorite pieces ever...
    And that opening sounds nothing like the 3rd or 1st, certianly nothing like the 4th, and doesn't remind me of the Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini either.

BTW, what did you think of the gymnopedie?

6. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I'm listening to it now. It's more interesting than the sonata movement. The ending was rather abrupt, wasn't it? I was expecting it to go on some more....

By the way, was your sonata movement even in sonata form?

7. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sonata movement = probably not in sonata form. Shhh... don't tell anybody, it's a secret! 8)

Yeah... I just called it a sonata because it was in three movements, and it is meant to tell a story when listened to in its entirity... but not technically a sonata.

Gymnopedie = hmm... I don't know if I would call it abrupt...it had sort of hit it's climax with the F#m7, then it kinda wound down with the Dm -> C#m7 chords... but maybe it's a bit abrupt. I don't think I could really render a fair and impartial decision on it.

8. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    hmm...I finked my mom's Rach CD's to copy them onto my computer. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

9. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rachmaninoff is a god.

However, just remember this: Scriabin is God. :lol:

10. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Bah. Chopin is God. :p

11. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Chopin may be a god...

But Scriabin is clearly the second coming of Christ. He was even born on Christmas day!
    He even called himself God. That's good enough for me as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

Besides, if Scriabin hadn't decided to get so wierd near the end of his life, he would have been the next Chopin. :D

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The Gymnopedie is a nice piece of work, if rather derivative. I like the off-key harmonies and the dark sonorities. There was one moment somewhere in the middle where the musical argument faltered, but you picked up the thread pretty well again.

I can't get too excited about your Sonata movement, alas. The ambitious opening chords are plainly nicked from Chopin's prelude nr.19 (I think it's 19, if not you know which one I mean) and what follows is a series of desperate gestures, without any plan or development that I could discern. In fact I was not sure what exactly the main theme was supposed to be. Twice there appears what sounds like a promising secondary theme but it is not given a fair chance and is soon drowned in bombast again. The quiet ending is a nice touch and would have been great had the rest been more convincing and leading up to a logical climactic conclusion. Sorry to be a bit sceptical, but I believe writing a Sonata is not something one should attempt lightly.

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    No bad word about Rachmaninov, Chopin, and Scriabin... I love them all (except Scriabin after he'd gone bonkers).

But really, only Bach is god. :p

15. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    Chopin was Bach reborn. It's perfectly clear.

16. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well... I wasn't really trying to write a sonata... I just needed a name for it, and a friend suggested sonata. I thought it sounded better than "piece in f minor".

Btw, the gymnopedie, in what ways was it derivative? Also, what moment do you think musically faltered? I only want to improve it!

17. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scriabin went bonkers???
    I thought he was wierd...
    but not quite insane.

I actually like some of his later atonal works a lot. Although, nothing can compete with his early works.

So I wouldn't call him bonkers, just... slightly unstable. :D

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well the fact already that you write a Gymnopedie, which nobody before or after Satie has ever done AFAIK. And it is very much in the style of Satie. Derivative may perhaps not be the right term. But it seems to have a certain feeling of 'look, I can do this too' to it.

I was referring to the moment at 1:03, which sounds like you were thinking 'uh-oh, this is not going the way I wanted it', and, after a quick deliberation, decided to retract on your earlier course. If this was intentional, then I have not said anything :wink:

About Scriabin - anybody who claims to be God is bonkers in my book.

19. demonic_advent

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    I do understand what you mean about it being derivative... but I do wish that more people would compose Gymnopedies, as they are a viable musical genre.

Also, at 1:03, that was me pausing for a moment to say to myself: "Crap! What's the next chord? Oh... okay. The C#m7." I didn't have the music in front of me, and my memory decided to fart on me the one time I really need it... And I normally don't use the sheet music during a performance at all, so why my memory died is a complete mystery to me...

Also, the day that somebody claiming to be God ends up being God, you're not gonna be a happy camper. :wink:

20. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Indeed not. That will be a most dangerous day... Not even Jesus himself went as far as that.