Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

2 Joplin rags

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by wiser_guy, Oct 6, 2008.

1. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Here are two of my favourite Joplin pieces, "Something Doing" and "The Strenuous Life".
    I am trying to post rags that are not already widely known and not already in the site's Joplin list. There lies most (IMO) of the freshness and unaffected delicacy of Joplin's music. In these less heard pieces.

Enjoy the music! (I will keep the benefit of your comments).

Joplin - Something Doing

Joplin - The Strenuous Life

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    These are up, Pantelis. Very nice job. Cute pieces - I've never heard them before. Sure got my toes tapping!

Here is just a little photo of when I was in St. Louis a couple summers ago. We visited one of Scott Joplin's home who lived there for a few years. They've turned it into a museum. My family and I were the only ones in there at the time, so the tour guide let me play the piano that was in Joplin's sitting room.

[​IMG]

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Great job, in particular the dynamics are very good. You sure have a strong affinity with ragtime. Keep 'em coming !

4. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    @pianolady
    Monica, they did actually let you play(?!) This piano must be over 100 years old. Lucky you...
    Do you remember the brand?

@techneut
    I would really love to post more often but I get "studio time" only on weekends. I'll try though to pile up more Joplin pieces of the less known or heard type. Exciting stuff, at least for me.

Thank you all for listening.

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No, I don't remember the brand. I blew up the photo and could see a little of the name on the piano, which looked like 'James Hutchinson". Never heard of that, though.

As far as being over 100 years old - probably was. Sure sounded like it too. Your piano sounds a little better! :wink: :lol: